*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883019-Dogs-and-Cats
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#883019 added May 25, 2016 at 7:32pm
Restrictions: None
Dogs and Cats
Prompt: War Chest Wednesday! Are you a cat person or a dog person? Explain why, or neither.
          I'm both, a dog person and a cat person. Throughout my life, dogs have kept me company, while cats sauntered into my world much later. My mother never liked felines, and she never articulated why. She did share horror stories about fish dining on their young, so I wasn't too upset about not having any; I imagine they're difficult to cuddle because, well, they are cold fish. She had cleaned up after various rodents belonging to her siblings, so they weren't welcome in our home. Dogs she accepted.
         I grew up with German Shepherds . They were fantastic friends. Now that I'm older, I realize that those dogs were protective. Even wrestling with my Dad, those dogs were watchful. They would nip him if they thought the rough-housing was too much. They were great listeners ; attentive and unwavering. When I remember Duke and Duchess I smile fondly .
         Fast forward to my hubby and kids wanting a dog. We chose Shetland Sheepdogs . They are loveable, intelligent, and more than capable of playing with three active children. Our first, a female, was christened Tasha. To register her with the kennel club, I had to submit three unique names. The third thought was random, yet it was accepted; Chocolate Chip Cookie. What a ridiculous name, imagine calling that mouthful .
         Dilly was our male blue merle; his fur was grey and white in colour. So many people assumed he was a senior. The kids loved to change up his name; the variations were Dill Pickle,, Silly Dilly, or Dillon. Strangely, he rarely barked. Even trapped in a room where the door had slammed shut, and he heard his name called, Dilly refused to bark. Tasha was the alpha dog, the boss.The two of them were never tied up or fenced in; they remained on our property. When they wanted to return to the house, Tasha would bark once as a signal to open the door. She always stepped aside and permitted Dilly to enter first. After Tasha passed away, I was at a weekend camp. My hubby let Dilly outside to do his business before bedtime, and forgot about him. The next morning, he opened the door intending to let the dog out, and there the poor dog sat, mutely, on the porch.
         Neither of the Shelties was neutered, but puppies were never created. My aunt, their breeder, referred to Tasha as the "nun". When in heat, Tasha wasn't having " none of that". Dilly whined and begged, but she resisted his advances. This was possibly because she was well aware of their connection. Dilly was her nephew, and she didn't approve of incest.
          Itty Bitty Super Kitty was my first cat. He came to us as a tiny tabby with a huge personality. He wasn't exactly a cuddly cat; he had a ten second rule. When in the mood, he permitted a short petting before his claws came out. He loved water! He had to keep me company for each of my baths and he'd beg to be doused. Wherever I sat Itty Bitty had to be right beside me. My armrest of the sofa was littered with my cross-stitch ing supplies. That crazy cat would recline on the project, the needles, the scissors, and the thread. He'd come when he heard his name, and he'd greet me at the door when I returned home.
         So, I am a cat and a dog person. That being said, I would not argue which pet is better or smarter. I would ask though, when was the last time your dog attacked you from the top of the fridge? When was the last time your dog squeezed/forced himself behind the water heater and got stuck? When was the last time your dog explored the interior of a clothes dryer? When was the last time your dog climbed the trunk of your Christmas tree, or played with the ornaments, batting them around the house?

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883019-Dogs-and-Cats