*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887837-Where-have-all-the-lost-socks-gone-Will-we-every-learn
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#887837 added July 21, 2016 at 9:13am
Restrictions: None
Where have all the lost socks gone? Will we every learn?
Have you ever lost something? If it was valuable, you'll never forget that day.

Socks.
Siri gave me this when I asked where do lost socks go?



https://news.samsung.com/global/sock-horror-mystery-of-missing-socks-is-solved-s...

I lost a camera once. Strange thing is I didn't realise for a fair while. It was a new Agfa-matic, a birthday present from mum and dad, about 1979(?). At the time it was my craze - a fad. Where it went is still a mystery to this day.

We are living back in the house now. Our renovated home, still not finished but we'll get there. While living in the shed (see this album if you really want to know the long drawn out process - 839 photos of it- https://www.facebook.com/rod.aylett/media_set?set=a.10153629120423864.676168863&...

During our stay in the shed, close to the end of it, we lost two of our three cats. One was missing for 2 weeks and the other went missing then. We were sad. Our daughter was distraught. She was 17, and not normally overly dramatic. She posted facebook ads. Asked vets. Asked friends. One night we went down to the local McDonald's with a torch poking about in the bushes of the car park because "someone spotted a small black cat" there, answering the description of Nidalee (named after the League of Legends character http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/nidalee/), but we didn't find any sign, and earned a few suspicious looks from customers and staff at the drive through order window.

Another week went by. A week of the second cat, Frankenstein, or Frankie, being absent too. I think it was a Thursday that the carpet guy came to quote laying the bedroom floor coverings. I had some underlay in the shipping container, where our stuff was/is stored. He said we'd better check what you've got so you'll have enough for the job. As I opened one door of the 40 footer my neck hair stood up, as I heard a very dry, very desperate and very pitiful cat yowl from way over the back of the furniture and cartons of belongings, past the lounge chairs, past the dining table and chairs, past the piano, down the very back. You can imagine what went through my head. I must have looked close to weeping because the carpet guy didn't hang around long after the cat's reunion with the rest of the family, and our daughter, particularly after I said "she's been in there a week". Strange thing was we'd searched in there a few times, and left the container open for at least an hour a couple of times. She never made a sound or came out. This time she did. But didn't drink much, and wasn't very hungry. But she was super affectionate. Still is to me. More than normal, much more than before. Yes, she's only a cat, to all you non cat people, but you know how it is when something knows it owes you (or you owe them) its life? Ever had that experience? It is at the same time heart wrenching and painful, but at the same time unutterable joy and euphoria.

Then, someone on Facebook told my wife there was a cat matching the other one, Nidalee, at the RSPCA at Spreyton. They both drove there and it was Nidalee, but she was a different cat, as in traumatised. We still don't know everything that happened to her, but whatever it was, she has taken months to settle back in, and still doesn't get along with the other two cats, Frankie, and Romeow the original old cat. (https://youtu.be/ANc3_i3e5QA)

Yes, it's amazing when you find something that was lost. Like a lost thumbdrive. Lost manuscript. Lost chapter.

Lost socks and pens, matches and...who am I kidding? Those things are NEVER found again.

Lost lyrics

How many roads must a man walk down, before he

You know how it is when you hear a snippet, some scrap of lyrics from a song and can't remember the rest? Or you realise that you haven't heard of someone for a long time.

I Googled something or other, and began with "What happened to... and someone else had already searched and it ended in ...Ringo? Well, I was searching for Ringo the social media / photo (?) platform that used to exist. But the search that came up was of course, Ring Starr of the Eddie Clayton Skiffle Group, and later of the Beatles. Recently he tours as Ringo Starr and his all Starr band. Without looking that up on google, it occurs to me that his might be a one man band. Remember their brand of humour? The Fab Four? I mean, what is Skiffle anyway? A lost musical genre?

And, what DID happen to Ringo Starr, or Richard Starkey?

Someone has jotted on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringo_Starr

I listened to Ringo's No-No song on YouTube and wondered, like a bunch of other commenters, why I hadn't hear it until now, too?



No one has to ask what happened to John Lennon, except perhaps the younger generation. That's how it goes and I don't hold it against them. Life is what it is.

Ringo on John Lennon's passing.

"I wasn't there to see a Beatle, but to see my friend - not related to this band"



"You know, we've lost a lot of good people"

Lost Jacket (and retainer)

"I went out to party on Saturday night and woke up at 2pm Sunday afternoon wearing a strangers jacket."

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hobart-cbd/accessories/i-ve-found-your-lost-retai...

Lost reputation (Thanks to Hitler). Swastika

http://en.minghui.org/cc/21/

Something can be so rare it isn't measurable, statistically. Does that mean it's lost?
Why don't we get heart cancer? Are hearts already broken?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/there-are-many-kinds-of-c/#

Mary Travers



Lost, in 2009. Mary Travers, of Peter, Paul and Mary. I note on their wikipedia information they banned The National Organisation For Marriage from using the song in protests because the organisations was "directly contrary to the advocacy position" of the group.

Lost verse from This Land is Your Land by American folk singer Woody Guthrie in 1940
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Land_Is_Your_Land

"One bright sunny morning in the shadow of the steeple, by the relief office I saw my people. As they stood hungry, I stood there wondering if God Blessed America for me."

So, what about the lost website I went to Google before Ringo Starr popped up?

Ringo.com
http://www.aboutus.com/Ringo.com


Lost / Missing person



https://www.facebook.com/groups/1237483269597872/
https://twitter.com/sparkyvacdr/status/740556783479967745

This lady, a local person from near here, in Tasmania, is still lost.

A lot of people go missing around the world every year. Lives are lost in famine, pestilence and war. Information, experience, genius, compassion, empathy, kindliness and nobleness. These are all the things lost when someone old passes away. Wisdom. Advice. Memories. Learned lessons.

Lost Washboard player. The Quarrymen. And yes, Skiffle they were.

https://youtu.be/C3zAREA0itk

Makes lost car keys seem trivial.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2016 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887837-Where-have-all-the-lost-socks-gone-Will-we-every-learn