*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900578-Eggs-and-Cheese
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#900578 added December 30, 2016 at 4:30am
Restrictions: None
Eggs and Cheese?
"Eggs and Cheese?

How many of us have ever tried something new? I rember when I was a child there were certain foods I absolutely couldn't stand. There was no particular reason that I can think of for not liking them. I simply refused to even try them. I remember for example that each summer the family would all be packed up and taken to a state park in Ohio where we would camp for a week or so. On thee way we would always stop at a cheese store, which was noted for having the best cheese around. My dad would have us all sample different types of cheese, usually Colby, extra sharp cheddar, and Swiss. I always refused to even try them. He would encourage me to try, because he knew as well as I did that there was no way I could say with certainty that I didn't like them. I had never tried them! However he could never get me to try them.

One day I was in school eating my lunch. The cooks had cheddar cheese sticks on the menu. I loved them and would gladly take any that somebody else didn't want. My brother happened to be in the cafeteria eating lunch at the same time. When he saw me accept four or five extra pieces of that succulent extra sharp cheddar he was shocked. he asked me if I realized that the cheese I turned down from my dad every year at the cheese store was the same thing I was eating then but it was fresher? Of course I was the one shocked then. Call me slow on the uptake but it had never occurred to me that I had loved extra sharp cheddar all along. After that I couldn't wait for summer vacation!

When I was married to my first wife I had a similar encounter with her. I loved going to people's farms and buying fresh eggs. The eggs I usually got were brown eggs because they came from a breed of chicken that laid eggs with brown shells. My ex would refuse to eat them because she said they came from a chicken's behind. I would always laugh at this because she had no problem eating store bought eggs. I asked where she thought the store bought eggs came from and she'd always say they were manufactured.

One day I decided too be nice to her. It was her birthday after all. So I got up beffore she did and prepared her breakfast. I made toast, eggs, and some other things, and gave her breakfast in bed. She loved the eggs most of all and asked whaat i had done to make them taste so good. I told her that they were the eggs she had always refused to try. She was shocked to learn that she was eating fresh brown eggs but asked if there were any more. After that we never bought anything but fresh brown eggs.

The lesson we had both learned was to never refuse to try anything reasonable at least once. If we didn't like it we never had to do it again. On the other hand if we did like it we wouuld open a new chapter in our lives.

© Copyright 2016 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900578-Eggs-and-Cheese