*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901981-Valued-Momentos
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#901981 added January 12, 2017 at 9:08am
Restrictions: None
Valued Momentos
"Valued Momentos

** Image ID #2049085 Unavailable **

The Blog City Prompt Forum prompt for January 12, 2017 says "Do you have things around your house you should throw out but can't? Do they do have sentimental value? Write about this."

I don't have a whole lot of anything period. I owned my own home in a city about two hours from here and had everything one could want in it. However the house was in very poor condition due to vandalism and wear. It was also infested with cock roaches and bed bugs, as was every house in the neighborhood. One of the workers at the Veterans Administration Outpatient Clinic I attended suggested that I simply leave it and move into a homeless shelter for awhile, which would qualify me for a variety of VA services. I did so. I now have a very nice apartment, partially funded through a VA/HUD program with VA case management. I will soon be working in a job with VA support to give the employer incentives to keep me employed. I also qualify to take a test to become a VA peer support specialist myself since I have one year of documented sobriety. I actually have nearly eight years but this is time where the VA has had "eyes on" and documented my sobriety. So giving up many of those items was well worth it. Two items I do have that I wouldn't take a million dollars for however are my late wife's ID and EBT card. I carry them in my wallet and they are priceless to me. The odd thing is that my new girlfriend looks so much like my late wife it's actually spooky! Maybe God decided to take my wife and give me another version of her?

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901981-Valued-Momentos