*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904679-Asimov
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#904679 added February 15, 2017 at 9:43am
Restrictions: None
Asimov
"Asimov

Image for BCOF members to put in their blogs

Just what it says

** Image ID #2110407 Unavailable **

The Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for February 15, 2015 is "Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers." Isaac Asimov What is writing to you? Do you agree or disagree with Mr. Asimov?"

I remember this prompt from sometime before. I'm going to give the same answer now that I'm sure I gave then. I disagree with Asimov. I disagree because I don't see writing as being as simple as "thinking through my fingers."

A lot goes into writing and it takes a lot to become a writer. Writing takes natural talent. Before one can be a writer they have to be able to tell a story. Story tellers are born. They aren't made. Personally I think Asimov was somebody who took some creative writing classes and then impressed somebody with his education and convinced them to back him and promote him. I personally read little of his work because I found it boring and lacking in natural story telling ability. He told the story rather than attempting to paint a panoramic that the reader could get involved in and see in their minds.

I believe writers are born, not made. I began telling stories at a very early age. My mom had a word for my stories. She called them ""whoppers" and fanned mt tail for them. She finally figured out that it was simply a very active imagination and ignored me most of the time. I can still see her rolling her eyes when I'd tell one. I wish I could see her roll her eyes today.

I can look back on my life and see where events appear to have literally been guided to make me into the writer I am today. For instance I never attended a school in which I failed to read every book in their library at least once. I could have wallpapered my room with all the certificates and awards I received for reading. I even read a volume of encyclopedias. I'm also one of the few people who copied an entire dictionary just to learn new words. My desire to do all of that might have been passed off as a fluke but I also excelled in grammar. It came so easy to me that I could go to sleep and still make straight A's in it. I was a bit lazy so I often didn't do my homework so my grades were a bit lower than A's but I held my own.

So I gained the skills to take those natural story telling abilities and use them to write. It takes talent, skill, and money to be a writer. Asimov got by with skill and money in my opinion.

218143218143


© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904679-Asimov