*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904769-Two-Pina-Coladas
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#904769 added February 16, 2017 at 12:41am
Restrictions: None
Two Pina Coladas
"Two Pina Coladas

Group signature.

** Image ID #2112408 Unavailable **

Just what it says

The 30 DBC prompt for the day is "We've all got them...what are some of your favorite misheard song lyrics? Those words and lines you swear are/were the truth...until someone else set you straight with the facts (and probably the lyric booklet that came with the album/tape/CD)"

I have a slight nerve deafness from being exposed to loud noises as a child. The loud noises of course were gunshots. The gunshots I fired myself were often deafening because I was shooting 12 gauge shotguns by the time I was 10 years old. However the ones that did me the most damage were the ones where I was shot at in a house. There's something about hearing a military grade weapon being discharged nine times within a ten by twelve room that really leaves your ears ringing. Then when I was in the military I experienced a "flash-bang" or fake grenade being detonate no more than five feet from the entrance to my pup tent when the drill sergeant decided to sound reveille. On bivouac you're too far out to hear the base trumpet over the loudspeakers.

So I've had some hearing difficulty all of my life. It stands to reason then that the words other here so clearly I would hear and confuse them as something else. I've done it so many times that I can't remember. The one that really stands out to me though is a song that I believe was sang by Alan Jackson. It may have been Jimmy Buffet. Anyway the song was Two Pina Coladas and the singer says he wants "one for each hand". He says he'll "set sail with Captain Morgan and never leave dry land."

My hearing of the song between my hearing problem and the singer's accent rendered hand to "ache" and "land" to the only thing that made sense "lake". I must have sounded like a fool the first time I ever sang along with it but my brother corrected me on it. However to this very day if I hear that song that is exactly what it sounds like he's saying. Hie pronunciation of the words "hand" and "land" sound like he leaves the "n" and the "d" completely out of them.

218143218143

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904769-Two-Pina-Coladas