*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905753-To-Terraform-or-not-to-Terraform
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#905753 added March 1, 2017 at 1:21pm
Restrictions: None
To Terraform or not to Terraform
Fairy playing a flute


War chest Wednesday:

Is trying to colonize other planets for human settlement a good or bad idea and why? If it's good, what steps would you see having to take to go into something so big? If bad, what should we do with space programs besides replacing satellites every few years?


http://science.howstuffworks.com/colonize-other-planets.htm

http://www.spacequotes.com/ The following quote was taken from this referenced link.

Quote: "Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994


.Gov has a website about the basics of colonizing space. I'm using Firefox and Firefox said the Government had not made this site secure so it would not take me there? So, I can't give you the basics of colonizing space. Just so you know I'm trying to help you get off this planet. *Laugh*

In 2004 a teacher asked me if I would leave the earth if it were possible to colonize another planet. At the time I said "NO."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_colonization

There are pros and cons to colonization. Looking at the situation the people involved will have to settle on a specific place. Than, the idea is that, whatever place they choose will probably have to be terraformed. I don't think we should take someone else's planet away from them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

That means the climate, landscape, air content will have to be formed on the planet to make it inhabitable by humans. Because, it would mean a major change for the planet, human kind immediately begins to think about the ethics of changing a whole planet for our use.

Have you watched any reality shows lately, I have not? But, I have noticed on the news that some humans are doing wild things. Of course, I personally would not jump a motorcycle over a moving airplane just to see if I could accomplish it. There are people who would.

What I see are more people are beginning to have most of their needs met, food, water, homes, whatever basic needs means to an individual, a lot more people are understanding how to achieve this. Now their minds are turning to; what can I accomplish and how can I accomplish it? This is leading to a wave of serious immigration from countries who won't let people live a peaceful life, to countries where more human rights are met.

Yes. They need a new planet to work on. Some people need to build the unthinkable. A new civilization, on a new planet, in space somewhere. A world to conquer.

I'm talking about somewhere like Mars. Where there is no one else who has already settled the planet. I've noticed there are people like athletes, workers in the space program and WDC members who like diversity, practice some ethics, and try to help people move forward. Our species depends on diversity of thought, and abilities to give others a helping hand.

Some of the links I have put in this article help us look at the problems facing the colonization in space. Terraforming, transportation, the effects on earth of this kind of immigration, how to meet the monetary needs of such programs, where are the science majors going to come from for a colonization program and teachers for the new planet, the effects on the earth when the space ships come and go. I know someone who thinks the thrust of the space vessels leaving earth are having and effect on the polarization of the earth?

In February, I read The Great Divorce and The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis. I was especially interested how peoples minds are influenced by what they read. It is interesting to be able to look back at how people of a generation now gone off the earth did not see microwaves, computers,or electronic books in the near future.

If I read science fiction I see more stories about how people have to go back to living without these things after a disaster on the earth. Some people would survive others would be at a complete loss. They would not know how to find or grow food. They would not all have the mental means to rebuild a devastated civilization in all areas of the earth.

There are pros and cons to space travel and space colonization or whether a country on the earth should be democratic or some other form of government. We are challenged every day by pros and cons. It gets done when someone says "We can do this for the good of mankind."















apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905753-To-Terraform-or-not-to-Terraform