*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906021-Aloha-from-the-Big-Island-of-Hawaii
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#906021 added April 3, 2017 at 8:38am
Restrictions: None
Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii!
Date: Week of February 27th & March 6th

Locale:  Hilo, Hawaii

         I have no idea how I got this lucky.  Two weeks in a row in Hawaii, this time on the Big Island of Hawaii itself!  I know I will be thanking the scheduler for weeks, if not months.  *Smile*

         The customer this week is the County of Hawaii.  I am delivering two classes to them, one on programming our APX radios, and the other on maintaining, testing, aligning, and repairing them.

         I arrived on Monday, but didn't get here until about 9pm.  By the time I got the rental car and grabbed a bite to eat, it was 11pm.  That's 3am my time in Illinois, so it's been a bit of a struggle getting used to the four hour time change.  But a day is here always great if you ask me, and I may have the chance to meet another member, Wordsmitty ✍️   *Smile*  Always nice to meet a member of the extended family.  If there are others on WDC living here, I'm open to meeting you too.

         Of course I've taken a few photo's, but have not taken the one I'm hoping to get.








         Kilauea is erupting as it has for many years now.  Lava is flowing to the sea, exiting a lava tube on the island's south side.  But it's hard to get to it, unless you are willing to go on a helicopter or boat.  Since those are a couple of hundred dollars each, I will most likely forego that.


         Tomorrow I will visit the Volcano National Park, and see how close I can get to the caldera of Kilauea.  Will most likely get to Kalapana, which is a few miles from the lava tube where the lava exits, and a few other places.

         One thing I love about the islands, is the food you can find here.  I really love Hawaiian food, and most other Eastern foods.  Korean food can be a bit much for me, since I'm not high on Octopus and Squid,, nor Kimchi.  Here's a few places I've eaten at so far.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Pineapples Restaurant    http://pineappleshilo.com/

         Miyo Restaurant (for lunch on Thursday)  miyosrestaurant.com

         Hawaiian Style Cafe  hawaiianstylecafe.us    It was here that I had the Hawaiian Special plate last night.




Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         Today I visited the Pacific Tsunami Museum.  http://www.tsunami.org/index/index.html

         It's an interesting place, with exhibits of the aftermath of Tsunami's that have devastated the islands (especially Hilo) over the years.  If one were to live here, learning what to do when a Tsunami is expected, or suspected to be on the way is essential.  I couldn't help but think of an awesome poem I read on WDC about this subject, and thought I'd plug it here.  If you read it, notice the layout on the screen.  The formatting of it makes it more powerful.

Speak soft my name  (13+)
Can Earth be given a voice? Not a children's poem.
#981541 by Kåre Enga in Montana


         Hopefully I will add to this entry as I see more tomorrow, and next week.  The only 'bad' thing about this trip (besides leaving beautiful Hawaii), is that the following week I will be in Lansing Michigan, back in the cold once again.  However, Spring is on the way!

         Til next time, y'all stay warm out, it's still winter.  If down under, stay cool, it's still summer!  *Smile*

© Copyright 2017 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906021-Aloha-from-the-Big-Island-of-Hawaii