*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910963-Speed-Distance-and-Time
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#910963 added May 12, 2017 at 3:12pm
Restrictions: None
Speed, Distance, and Time

Fun Fact Friday! On this day in 1847, William Clayton invented the odometer. How do you measure your speed or distance?
Red Dragon


reference: {link: https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-odometers-4074178}

Not So?! Which is my expression of unbelief for the information contained in the prompt.

Odometer = measures distance
speedometer = measures speed
tachometer = rotation speed of the engine when it is turning over.

Vitruvius attached his invention to a standard size chariot wheel in 15 B.C. It measured the distance of a Roman mile. There were 400 revolutions of the chariot wheel in a mile.

Chang Heng also invented a gizmo to measure distance. (year not listed)

Blaise Pascal invented a device to measure distance sometime in the 1600’s. His had gears and cogs.

Thomas Savery invented a device to use on ships in 1698. It measured distance traveled.

Ben Franklin invented a device to measure distance on postal routes around 1775.

In 1847 an apparatus called a roadometer was designed by three men in a collaboration. William Clayton and Orson Pratt worked out the design. Appleton Milo Harrmon was the carpenter who built it. They were Mormons who used the contraption to measure distance traveled by wagon.

In the 1800's, several men from different places worked on inventions that measured travel speed and distance.

This just shows you mankind wants to know how far and how fast they have traveled.


Quote:
"I have spent my life judging the distance between American reality and the American dream." Bruce Springsteen
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/distance.html

Merit Badge in Blogging
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on taking 2nd Place in the July 2016  [Link To Item #30dbc] !

© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910963-Speed-Distance-and-Time