*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914773-World-building-Day-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by SarahW
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2124374
Writing myself into the story
#914773 added July 5, 2017 at 4:28am
Restrictions: None
World building: Day 6
Today involves describing the races in the world I am building. Two main races, based on the map I've drawn, are present locally. There is the potential for others to come from over the ocean.

Rainforest folk
These people have skin colour in the warm bronze to tawny beige range. The rural folk will tan to a darker colour than the city folk. Eyes are generally topaz brown. The nose is narrow, suggesting the population originated from a colder climate. Hair is straight and chestnut brown.

In the city, the aristocratic fashion is for flowy, impractical garments. Hair is elaborately beaded and braided in both genders. Beards, in men, are very well groomed; if present, they are at most a goatee. The moustache has gone out of style in recent decades. There is a strong philosophical, mathematical bent amongst the aristocracy.

In the lower classes, and in rural areas, more practical attire is worn. Rurally, fitted garments are most practical, especially with the amount of forest work that is undertaken. The exact garment is designed for the particular job. Beads and braids are often, though not always, present; and hair and beards are less well groomed.

Semi-arid folk
These folk endure a hotter, drier climate. As such, noses are wider and shorter than their rainforest peers. Other words to describe include ample, broad, and round. Hair is black and curly. Ringlets and spirals are evident when the hair is seen. However, men tend towards short hair with head coverings to protect from the sun. Women are veiled and have head coverings also. Skin colour is a terracotta brown, similar to that of the refined but unfired clay produced in the region, although those who work the clay are tanned to a significantly darker shade. Eyes are brown through to black.

Clothing style is appropriate to the climate, with breathable fabrics in a loose, flows style. It is, however, a more practical style than that of the aristocratic rainforest folk. As already noted, women are veiled. Silver metal is often used as adornment, particularly on special occasions, of which there are many.

Interactions between the two races
The rainforest aristocracy tends to look down upon the semi-arid folk as a lesser race. They also, however, tend to look down on their own lower classes as being lesser as well.

Interactions at the lower class level is pragmatic, and more merit based. There is still, however, a sense of superiority of class, though some debate as to how the classes match up between the two races. This leads to occasions where two people from different races both looking down upon each other as inferior.

© Copyright 2017 SarahW (UN: sairin8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SarahW has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914773-World-building-Day-6