*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917031-Obrigado-Rio
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#917031 added August 7, 2017 at 9:21pm
Restrictions: None
Obrigado Rio!
August 7th Rio De Janeiro, Brazil Grab a nap on the plane because when our feet hit we’re off to the races.
We’re staying at Hilton Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Avenida Atlantica, 1020, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22010-000, Brazil 011 55 21 3501-8000
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d301412-Reviews-Hilton_Rio_de_J...
It’s got mixed reviews but the pluses are safe ocean access and pool both. The luggage will be transported and we’ll sort it out later.
Skip the Line: Christ the Redeemer Admission Ticket
Bypass long lines for Rio's most popular attraction with this time-saving ticket
Take the first available train to the summit of Corcovado
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g303506-d12152822-Skip_the_L...


Afternoon adventure is Rio Walking Tour with More Than 15 Attractions
Visit Rio's highlights and landmarks on foot during a 3-hour walking tour with a local guide. Starting from Cinelandia Station, follow your 'carioca' (Rio native) guide on a walk that includes Rio's most important historical and cultural sites. Visit National Museum of Fine Arts, Theatro Municipal, the Monastery Church of Santo Antônio, Ordem Terceira de São Francisco da Penitência and several other important landmarks. All entrance fees are included on this small-group tour. You will be taken by subway to downtown, emerging at Cinelândia Station, Cinelândia of Rio´s 1900s, with its relics of the French architectural influence such as the National Museum of Fine Arts, Theatro Municipal – the city´s Opera House, the National Library, Pedro Ernesto Palace (City Hall), the Cultural Center of the Federal Court.
On the way to Carioca square we see the Naval Club, the Monastery Church of Santo Antônio and the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco da Penitência, a true cultural richness of the Brazilian colonial architecture (1622).

A visit at the Confeitaria Colombo, built in 1894 in Art- Nuveaux, Tiradentes Palace (State Hall ), Praça XV including the Imperial Palace (the first residence of the Portuguese Royal Family), the statue of General Osório, Mestre Valentim´s Fountain and through the Teles Arch, reach the cobble-stoned Travessa do Comercio and the former residence of Carmen Miranda, the Church of Our Lady of the Merchants, the Post Office Cultural Center, France-Brazil House, Bank of Brasil Cultural Center and Candelaria Church. Back to the hotels by sub-way.

Visits or stops: Cinelândia, Largo da Candelaria, Confeitaria Colombo, the Church of Our Lady of the Merchants, France-Brazil House when open, Bank of Brasil Cultural Center and Candelaria Church when open.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g303506-d11455442-Rio_Walkin...


Are you tired yet? We’re back to the hotel you have 2 hours to check your stuff into your room and shower before we hit our late night dinner destination for tapas and wine.

El Born --- the main courses are really tasty in itself, we only realized that the main virtue of this restaurant is the diversity in tapas which we were offered while waiting for our main courses. Each tapa costs only 9 BRL, and you can have as many as you desire; the staff comes around with a new plate of tapas every 10 minutes or so. Well worth a visit!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303506-d3815693-Reviews-El_Born-R...
         
         
         
         
         Day 7 already? So far this trip is a blast! Is anyone else humming Barry Manilow's song, 'Copacabana'? It just keeps playing on repeat in my brain... we're in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. How amazing is this?
         Well, we wasted no time this morning. We threw ourselves into all things touristy. First, we caught a train that lifted us aloft to the Corcovado summit. Hmmm, Corcovado means hunchback.... It's kinda appropriate since there are mountains everywhere, and this particular one is quite noticeable. The views are beyond breathtaking. I stared in awe at the immense, commanding statue of Christ the Redeemer. This grand lady sees all from her perch. She is iconic somewhat like the Statue of Liberty
.           This afternoon, our group enjoyed the walking tour of Rio. The local guide had such an easy going manner. She was contagiously upbeat. She oozed congeniality.
         Now I understand why Rio is known as the marvelous city. It teems with bustling activity. People mingle. They sway and sashay as if constantly dancing to the samba. The streets are colourful and noisy. This metropolis is unapologetically alive. It pulsates with vitality.
         The strolling and sauntering energized me. With a break before supper, I meandered over to the infamous beach of song that just happened to be outside our hotel. Wow! Copacabana Beach is stunning with its white sand in stark contrast to the dazzling azure of the sea. The sun worshippers there are so bronze. My pale Canadian skin shivered in comparison. Oh, I couldn't help but notice the women who chose to wear thong bikinis. In fact, there were walking vendors selling their wares on this beach. Many had bikinis in their inventory. I bought a few on impulse. I'm sure they will fit into my suit case, if not on my butt. Samba music pulsed, and \I almost surrendered to its rhythm.
          The lovely ocean breeze caressed my skin as I waded into the surf. I originally intended to dip my toes in the salt water, but then I watched a few locals. They were screaming with delight as they rode the waves. When in Rio...So, I just had to attempt it too. Basically, you wait for a wave to come behind you and then you swim on top of it. I later learned this trick is known as "pegar jacare", or to grab an alligator.
          Oh, my appetite and I were more than ready for our supper at El Born. Yummy! It specializes in a great variety of tapas. Ah, this resurrected fond memories of our tip to Spain last summer. Obrigado Rio!






© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917031-Obrigado-Rio