*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/927891-Bumming-Around-The-Bronx
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#927891 added January 27, 2018 at 5:35pm
Restrictions: None
Bumming Around The Bronx
Date: Week of  January 22nd

Locale:  Bronx, New York


         The class this week was a short one, and once again a tailored class.  This time, the customer was the Fire Department Of New York (FDNY).  They are a great group of people, and I'll have the chance to see them again in March!  When I say a 'tailored class', I mean we (I) took old student guide manuals, and edited them to be consistent with our teaching style today, as well as inserting only information pertinent to their system.

         It was a short class though, only 1.5 days.  As you might know (from previous entries), I arrived home Saturday evening from Bangkok, and had to fly to NYC on Tuesday for class on Wednesday and Thursday.  Surprisingly (to me at least), I was over the jet lag and fatigue of that long flight by Monday!  I was a little worried that I'd be too tired to deliver an effective class, but that wasn't the case.  The Radio Shop Manager liked the class, and told me that I promote learning with the way I deliver a class.  I really look forward to the next class because two or three of the students are 'old time' radio techs, and will talk about some of the theory with me in depth.  I know, I know.  I'm a geek, but I'm proud of it.  Still, it will be an interesting class.

         Sadly, for this trip, I didn't get out anywhere at all.  It was such a short class, and the location was only a half mile from my hotel.  So, no rental car for me, and no getting out.  Lunch was provided each day for us.  As for dinner, I broke my 'cardinal rule' of travel, and dined at Applebee's.  I have several rules I follow when traveling, and one of them is that I will not dine at a national chain restaurant unless absolutely necessary.  No car, no restaurants close by, and too tired to walk very far, meant going downstairs and dining at Applebee's.  The second night there, I joined a crowd at the downstairs bar, and sampled appetizers that were sitting out.  It wasn't until someone pulled out a microphone and started speaking that I realized I'd 'sorta crashed', a meeting of the Chamber Of Commerce.  It was one to encourage small business owners to participate in the Chamber, etc.  Still, I felt out of place ,and let shortly after it started.


         In Closing

         I am home this week (10 whole days!), but will write my next entry when I travel again the week of February 5th.  Till then, stay warm, stay safe, and keep writing!

© Copyright 2018 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/927891-Bumming-Around-The-Bronx