*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/934013-chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2155629
a young teen girl is left in a place filled with humanities mistakes
#934013 added May 6, 2018 at 9:00am
Restrictions: None
chapter 3
Chapter 3

I heard a crash on the morning of my eighth day. They're back! I thought. That was the only logical reason for the noise. I looked up over the side of the book case I was sitting behind and watched for movement. My heart was pounding so loud in my ears, I was afraid the bot could hear it beating too. I saw some movement on an aisle in front of me. I immediately grabbed my gun from out of my pocket and loaded it.

Another clatter on an aisle to my left startled me. I slid back down and scooted on my butt to another aisle with shelves I could stand up behind. I heard a step behind me and whirled around, gun pointed right at it. I looked up to see the bot's head. Where to shoot? A man’s face looked back at me.

"Don't shoot! Don't shoot," he cried, "I'm human!"

He shoved out his arm. I flinched and pointed my gun again, ready to shoot. I had never shot anything in my life, let alone kill something. I can do this. I can do this... I can't do this. I can't d-

“I have a pulse! Feel! See? Human.”

He had a bracelet like the one I had dropped. I looked at my wrist to see if I still had mine on. I did.

I wasn't sure if it was enough, though. A bot could've easily stolen one off of a body.

I pointed my gun at him with one hand and with the other, lightly touched the stranger's wrist, feeling for a pulse. I felt it almost immediately. It was quick and definitely there.

"Human!" I exhaled, just realizing that I had been holding my breath.

"Yeah, human!" He smiled.

I looked at him for the first time. He was definitely old. Probably in his mid to late 50's. He had dark brown skin and deep, chocolate eyes. He was wearing an old striped polo shirt and some dirty cargo pants. It was obvious he had been poor. Before I could come to a full conclusion, I heard something behind me.

Yes sir, this is how it all ends.-When will this end?’ I thought. I spun around on my heel and pointed my gun. At nothing. I looked down and saw a little furry dog sitting on the floor biting its paws.

"Sasha! There you are, girl!” the man said, beaming proudly, "She's the reason I'm in here. Sorry. She heard you and just ran in. We've been looking for her puppy all day."

"That’s great. Have you met any other people since the last pod-launch?" I was still skeptical, but I had lowered my gun to my side. My finger still on the trigger.

“No, just you.”

“Oh, that’s too bad. I was hoping that you would’ve seen someone else by now.”

“Yeah, haven’t seen a soul.” Nobody’s coming for me.

I sighed, “Crap.”

“Well, I guess I should be heading back to the mini-mart next door and see if Fluffels wandered back ‘home’. Oh, and I didn’t catch your name?

“River.”

“Cool name. I’m Latin.”

“Your name is Latin?”

“Yep.”

“Your name is a dead language?”

“Your name is a body of water.”

“Touché.”

“Well, I’d better get going! Bye!” He started to walk towards the door.

All alone. Nobody’s coming for me. All alone. Nobody’s coming for me. In that moment of total weakness, I decided to trust him. I was so afraid of being alone again. As he was going towards the door, I shouted:

“Hey! would you like to stay here in this Walmart instead of the mini-mart next door? I know there’s a giant hole in the wall.” I immediately regretted it. I don’t know this guy. But it was too late.

“Yes! That would be great! Thank you so much! Nights in the mini-mart are so cold, and it was getting bad for Sasha and Fluffels.”

Latin went and found himself a sleeping bag and curled up inside of it and fell asleep almost immediately.


Lydia Rose
© Copyright 2018 River Kingsley (UN: river_kingsley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
River Kingsley has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/934013-chapter-3