*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940135-Chapter-19
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1534312
MarNoWriMo 2009. Book 3 Endurance Series.
#940135 added July 28, 2024 at 10:10am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 19 - Hard Truths
Chapter Nineteen
Hard Truths



LISA SAT WAITING IN the Penthouse Suite for Penny to arrive. The enormous room, with its darkened walls and wooden furniture, always felt gloomy and foreboding to her. The only thing in this room that held any allure was Van Gogh's painting of The Starry Night. Lisa was a sucker for anything blue. She wondered how Cal managed to grow up in such a depressing place and be so--sensual.

Her mind drifted back to the steamy, soapy shower she and Cal had shared two hours ago. She couldn't fathom what had possessed her to be so daring, to follow him to New York and into that shower, but she had. And then, she had confessed her love to him. Lisa blushed, remembering how stunned she had been to hear those words whispered in her ear. The thrill of knowing that he felt the same way. About her. It was the most terrifying and exhilarating thing she had ever experienced.

The heels clicking on the tile floor snapped Lisa out of her reverie. She took a deep breath, her heart racing with anticipation and a hint of dread, as she prepared for the reunion with her sister, Penny. The thought of seeing her again after what transpired in Las Vegas filled her with trepidation, not knowing how this conversation would go after the last one. Her sister was unhappy with Lisa's less-than-enthusiastic response to the wedding and pregnancy news. Penny hadn't even bothered to call her.

Carol Grayburg came around the corner with a bright smile on her face. "I couldn't believe it when I heard that you were here already," she said, her pace swift as she approached Lisa.

Lisa stood and smiled back. "Hello, Carol, it's good to see you again."

"Please, sit," Carol said, motioning towards the oversized couch a few feet away from Lisa. She turned towards Lisa, her expression serious. "I cannot thank you enough for being there for Penny and Edward when they needed family around most."

Penny would disagree. "She's my only sibling; I just couldn't let her get married alone." Or get married at all.

Carol nodded. "We were surprised to learn that you had been here without John and I knowing. You know you're always welcome in our home whenever you're in New York."

Lisa nodded. "I appreciate that."

"Besides, we're family now," Carol said. She reached out and squeezed Lisa's hand.

"How is Penny adjusting?" Lisa asked, curious about what had happened with Penny these past few days. It was a distinct departure from the life she'd known and far from home. The pace of life alone would be enough to overwhelm anyone.

Carol's eyebrow rose as she stared at Lisa. "Haven't you spoken with your sister?"

"Briefly yesterday," she acknowledged. Lisa hated disclosing that fact, but she'd never lied to the Grayburg family and refused to start now.

"It's been a difficult dynamic between you, I imagine. What with you taking on the added responsibility of raising Penny after you lost your parents and going from big sister to mother in the blink of an eye."

In all these years, Lisa had never taken the time to think much about it. Instead, she did what was expected and necessary and tried her damnedest not to look back and dwell on things she couldn't change. Was that a mistake?

"On occasion, yes," she admitted."

"I'm sure she told you the doctor gave her a clean bill of health," Carol stated, "John and I are very excited about finally becoming grandparents. And with Penny carrying a boy,"

Lisa gasped. "What?"

Carol stared and raised her hand to her mouth. "I'm sorry, dear. I just assumed that your sister had told you."

Lisa shook her head. Penny knew the sex of her child and said nothing. After everything, her sister still felt the need to keep Lisa in the dark about important things in her life. Why? What had she done to make Penny close that door on the only family she had? Lisa sighed, the gravity of the new information jabbing at her heart like a knife into a piece of steak.

"Perhaps she wanted to tell you that news in person," Carol said.

"Or not at all," Lisa muttered. She stood, crossed her arms, and began pacing the enormous room. Her mind raced with questions only Penny could answer.

"She knows you're here; she will be down shortly," Carol stated. "Why don't you tell me about Calvin's visit to Endurance?"

Lisa stopped and turned to face Carol, swallowing hard. Unprepared to divulge any information about Cal's plans and unaware of what he'd already told his parents. If Carol asked about their relationship's personal dynamic, she wouldn't be comfortable going into those details either.

"I believe he is set to make a presentation at the board meeting tomorrow," Lisa said.

Carol nodded. "I heard about that, and I'm intrigued."

Lisa smiled, "As am I. He has a good head for business."

"Yes, he's like John in that regard. It's difficult to distract them once they are focused on something," Carol admitted.

Lisa laughed, "He does seem to have a one-track mind and is relentless in his pursuit of what he's after." Lisa wished she could take the words back the second she said them, but it was too late. She did her best to hide the blush she felt creeping up her chest when her mind returned to the night of Cal constantly bombarding her with the insistent question of whether she missed him and how many times he'd kissed and touched her, coaxing her to respond.

Carol stared at Lisa so intently that Lisa had to turn away. She wished Penny would appear and create a diversion to escape the mess she'd walked into.

"John and I did wonder if something was happening between you and Calvin after your trip to Las Vegas," Carol said. "He was very vague, and then the next thing we knew, he was in Endurance."

Lisa didn't know how to respond. They probably thought that she and Penny were purposely on the prowl, looking to latch on to their sons and take them for all they were worth. The thought of that being accurate sent her stomach churning as bile raced up her throat. How would this affect their working relationship now if that were the case?

"I can practically see the wheels turning in your mind," Carol said. "Please have a seat."

Taking a deep breath, Lisa moved back to the couch.

"Calvin seemed put off by the fact that we were concerned about you rather than him. I hope you understand that our reservations have nothing against you, but we wanted to ensure that if you two decided to date, Calvin wasn't on the rebound."

Lisa sat stunned. Cal had never mentioned having a conversation with his parents about her. Their concern about her was a stark reminder that she and the Boutique were integral to the Grayburg operation.

"I appreciate that you both are concerned about me, but that's really unnecessary," Lisa said. If it was one thing she knew, her heart wasn't in danger of being broken by Calvin Grayburg.

Carol stared at her momentarily before a smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. She leaned toward Lisa and whispered, "I had a feeling."

Did Cal's mother already know what was happening between them? Outside of the Boutique, Anna and Nolan, she didn't think anyone else knew he'd stayed at her place while in town.

Before either could say another word, Penny appeared.

"I can't believe you're here," Penny said.

Carol stood. "I'll give you ladies time to catch up." She turned to Lisa. "It's always good to see you, Lisa. We can finish our conversation another time." She pivoted on her heel and headed out of the elaborate room.

"How are you feeling?" Lisa asked as Penny joined her on the couch.

"Good, I get a little tired, though," Penny said.

Lisa's eyes stared at Penny's stomach, already showing her baby bump in her slim dress. Lisa quickly realized that Penny was suddenly wearing stretchy maternity wear. How had she not noticed? Weren't there any signs along the way? Did she see and brush it off as nothing? The questions that ran through her head were giving her a headache.

"Why didn't you tell me you're having a boy yesterday?" Lisa asked, unable to keep that knowledge to herself.

Penny shifted her eyes to the floor and shook her head. "When did I get the chance? You went ballistic the second I told you I was already four months along. Why would I bother to tell you what else had happened?"

Lisa blanched and then closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath, she turned to her sister. "Look, I realize that I may not have handled things well in Las Vegas, but all I've ever wanted was for you to be happy."

Penny crossed her arms and stared at Lisa hard as if trying to find her words sincere.

"I was surprised you tried to track me down," Penny admitted.

Lisa shook her head. "You're serious?" Now, Lisa knew she'd done something wrong in a significant way. Her mind scrambled to figure out just what that was. Hadn't she ensured Penny was set with all of the necessary life skills that led to her independence? Lisa worked hard to build the Boutique and gave Penny a stake in the business. She had a trust fund from their parent's life insurance policy that remained untouched, with the exception of her college education. Lisa provided for Penny's other wants and needs over the last eight years.

"Yes. Look, I get it; you were getting your business off the ground when Mom and Dad died, and you had to look after me. But the second Anna entered the picture, all you cared about was her and the Boutique."

Lisa had no idea what to say. Never once had Penny complained about a lack of attention.

"That's not true," Lisa insisted.

"It is," Penny said with a loud sigh. Before Anna came into the picture, you were easygoing—fun even. Once you partnered with the Grayburgs and Anna, all you cared about was the Boutique, her line, and making your mark. I didn't even exist anymore."

Lisa's jaw dropped. Yes, it was true; her focus changed once she and Anna had the backing from Grayburg Corporation, but it was not at Penny's expense. They still went out to dinner, saw movies, went shopping, and had their usual Friday night pizza, popcorn, and musical nights, just like they did with their parents. Lisa did everything she could to continue the family tradition and keep things as normal for her sister as possible.

"We may have had less frequent dinners out, but nothing else changed. If you honestly felt that way, why didn't you ever say anything?" Lisa needed to know where she failed.

Penny crossed her arms. "Say what? That you've changed? You used to care about me, but then one day, you had your eye on turning the Boutique into something bigger, and once that plan was set in motion, you were too busy or tired to remember me?" Penny shook her head. "I will never understand why you thought Friday night's Pizza and musicals were enough. Anyway, it's a moot point now."

Anger began to build up, and Lisa didn't know where to start with her sister's accusations.

"I thought you liked Friday nights and that they helped us heal after losing Mom and Dad."

Penny laughed. "Don't you get it, Lisa? You don't heal from that loss; you move forward, but healing never comes. The only way to mend that kind of heartache is to find someone to love and love them back."

"Oh, Penny, that's not true."

"Really? Have you healed, Lisa? Are you happy with your life?"

How did this entire conversation get turned around on her?

"I'm happy. Why you feel the need to constantly throw that at me, I'll never know." Lisa muttered.

"I hate to interrupt," Carol said, standing in the doorway. "Calvin just called, and it seems the board meeting has been moved."

"It has?" Lisa asked, surprised that Cal would move the meeting. He had been clear in the morning about his plans for tomorrow.

Penny stood. "Yes, it's set for eleven."

Lisa stared at her sister. "Wait, Calvin didn't move the meeting?" She looked from her sister to Carol and back again. Her stomach dropped when she saw Penny's expression of satisfaction. Lisa closed her eyes momentarily, remembering Calvin's words about a powerplay brewing in the company.

"Edward has moved the meeting, and we need to start heading to midtown."

"You knew about this," Lisa said, directing herself to Penny.

Penny raised her chin. "Yes."

"Lisa, Calvin asked me to relay that you should reach out to Anna and let her know that he wants to make sure she will be joining us. He said he is setting up Zoom and emailing her the information." Carol said.

Lisa nodded. "I'll call her right now."

"I'll just grab my things, and we can go together," Carol said, turning and walking down the hallway.

"I need to grab my purse," Penny said, heading toward the hallway.

"You're making it awfully difficult to believe you love Edward."

Penny stopped dead in her tracks, turned, and smiled. "Think whatever you want. You're going to anyway, no matter what I saw. Just know you're not the only one with dreams, Lisa."

She marched out of the room, and Lisa sat on the couch hard, her mind whirling. What is going on? Lisa wanted to scream her frustrations. Nothing with Penny seemed to be going smoothly, and this stunt she and Edward were doing undoubtedly would bring more tension and distance in this relationship.

Lisa snatched her purse and pulled out her cell phone. She noticed she had three missed calls from Calvin. She waited to make that phone call and dialed Anna's number instead.

"Hello," Anna said.

Lisa grabbed her purse and stood, knowing they would be waiting for her at the door to leave for Grayburg Corp. "Hi, Anna. Where are you?"

"I'm at the Boutique, and I've found the perfect solution for you and Calvin's plans.

"I could use some good news, but I'm calling because the board meeting has been moved and starts in about forty-five minutes." Lisa sighed, hating all of this and being kept in the dark. By her own sister!

Anna laughed, "That's great. Nolan told me Calvin was really excited about his presentation to the board."

"I'm afraid Edward and Penny have moved the meeting."

"Oh," Anna replied. "Either way, Calvin can present what he has, and I'm sure whatever Edward is planning will fall by the wayside."

Lisa wished she had Anna's optimism. "Wouldn't that be something," Lisa muttered.

"I know that tone. Don't borrow trouble. It's probably nothing. Anyway, you know my friend Sara?"

"What about her?"

"I was thinking she'd be a perfect replacement for Penny, and if things go the way we think they will, you'll be moving to the new offices. Between Sara and Piper, they are more than capable of running the Boutique."

Lisa closed her eyes at the thought of giving up control of her business. She knew Anna had a point, but it was still her baby. "Hire Sara."

"Done," Anna said.

"Cal sent you an email with a link to Zoom. I have to head over to midtown; I'll see you on the call," Lisa said.

"Okay, I'll be ready."

Lisa hung up, tossed her phone in her purse, and headed to the entryway. She wanted to talk to Cal, but she could not do that in front of her sister or his mother.



WC: 2642
© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Princess has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940135-Chapter-19