*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942250-Wednesday-October-the-Twenty-Fourth---Literary-Plot-Devices
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2169075
This isn't just a novel. It's a novel for the October Prep Challenge too.
#942250 added October 24, 2018 at 1:18am
Restrictions: None
Wednesday, October the Twenty-Fourth - Literary Plot Devices

Oct. 24: - Plot: Literary Devices ▼

(1) Brainstorm possible solutions to your conflict and complications using the list of literary devices below or your own ideas.
These five Literary Devices are the best ones that fit this novel. True, I could have gone into the website listing and found ones that are as good or better, but I didn’t want to do them at this time. Maybe I will in future updates.

Literary Devices List
*Bullet* Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come.
There are a lot of hints going on throughout this novel. How many can you find?
*Bullet* Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected.
I’m a big fan of Plot Twists. Sometimes they are at the end of my Chapter, my Chapter parts, or the end of the novels, and sometimes they aren’t.
*Bullet* Reveal: A hidden connection between characters or facts is revealed in time.
Of course, there is a connection within this story. Wandita just doesn’t know about it until toward the end of this novel.
*Bullet* Narrative Hook: Story opening that grabs the reader's attention.
I like to start my novels off with a bang. Well, they don’t have to start off with a bang, but you know what I mean by that. I’m a big fan about this too.
*Bullet* Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader.
Most of the time my cliffhangers aren’t life-threatening, but I do like to end my Chapters with a cliffhanger. It all depends on what chapter it is as to what kind of a cliffhanger it is. Chapters one, three, six, are my shocker, surprise, chapters. There’s a shock or surprise at the end of each one. Usually, one that we don’t know about yet. Chapters two, four, seven, and nines are my questions or comment chapters. They usually end with either a question, comment, or both. Finally, there are my five and ten chapters. Those chapters are more action-oriented and life-threatening. It’s not just the end of the Chapters that have cliffhangers either. The other parts of the chapters do too.

(2) Identify a mentor or helper who aids the protagonist(s) in achieving their goals.
Wandita doesn’t really have any mentors that we know of right now, but she is going to be getting some help real soon. Whether get wants it or not, she’s going to get it with Hactor, Noranni, and Fredic.

(3) Identify any other literary devices from the list you could use to enhance your writing.
Here are a few more literary devices that might help my writing. I need all the help I can get, and I think that these will help me to do it.

Literary Devices List
*Bullet* Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished.
The good guys, or in this novel female, is supposed to win. That doesn’t always work, does it? Will it work for Wandita.
*Bullet* Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened.
These are a lot like Plot Twist. Only instead of drama it’s objects, clues, etc.
*Bullet* Plot Device: Advances the plot forward, often pushing the main character past a hurdle.
I’ve got a lot of plot devices in this novel. Another thing that I’m a big fan of.
*Bullet*MacGuffin: Something the protagonist wants for unknown and unimportant reasons.
Wandita knows what she wants. That is to solve her problems any way that she can. It’s how she does it that is unknown.
*Bullet*Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met.
There isn’t really any impending doom in this novel. Only Wandita doesn’t know that. She doesn’t even know if she has a problem to solve yet.

Literary Devices List
Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come.
Chekhov's Gun: The gun on the wall in Scene 1 is eventually fired.
Repetitive Designation: An object or fact appears over and over.
Symbolism: Small facts, objects, or characterizations represent something bigger.
Self-fulfilling prophecy: Protagonist attempts to thwart prophecy but in attempting, fulfills it.
Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished.
Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected.
False Protagonist: The protagonist dies or turns out to be something other than the protagonist.
Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened.
Unreliable Narrator: The narrator has been misleading the reader all along.
Irony: The exact opposite of what the reader expects happens.
Reveal: A hidden connection between characters or facts is revealed in time.
Plot Device: Advances the plot forward, often pushing the main character past a hurdle.
Object of Power: Either the protagonist wants it, or the object drives the plot of its own accord.
MacGuffin: Something the protagonist wants for unknown and unimportant reasons.
Quibble: Following the letter of the law, contract, or agreement instead of its intent, changing the outcome.
Narrative Hook: Story opening that grab's the reader's attention.
Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader.
Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met.
Breaking the Fourth Wall: A character speaks directly to the reader.
Or anything from this list: http://literary-devices.com/

© Copyright 2018 PureSciFi (UN: spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
PureSciFi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942250-Wednesday-October-the-Twenty-Fourth---Literary-Plot-Devices