*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945704-The-Earth-Is-Round
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#945704 added November 16, 2018 at 6:50pm
Restrictions: None
The Earth Is Round?
PROMPT November 16th

Only 66% of 18-24 year olds in the US are certain the Earth is round. Thoughts?
         
         
          Thoughts? What can I express about such a random statistic? Initially, I shrugged and thought to myself who cares. If it is indeed true that some young people choose to believe in something, anything other than the circular shape of Earth who am I to disapprove, or approve their choice? They are free to disagree. Their opinion doesn't matter to me. On the grand scale of the universe this is trivial.
         Am I to judge the apparent ignorance of a few misguided people? What percentage of these respondents are educated? Am I to assume that most completed basic schooling? Did they all carefully consider the question?
         Perhaps it's more likely that several of the 18 to 24-year olds did not even take the time to understand what was queried. There are illiterate people, functionally illiterate people amongst us. Perhaps English was a second language for some? Too many citizens do not listen, or fully comprehend. They nod, and mutter as if in agreement, but they are less than focused.
         Wait a minute. Just how many of this age group were actually approached with this concept? How many declined to answer?
          How could a small number of responses reflect all persons in that age group, or any group for that matter? This is such a broad statement.
         Maybe, just maybe 34% of these "young-uns" would like to explore this conclusion for themselves before they agree, or disagree. It could be that iin reality they realize they lack practical experience of this world.
          Could it be that 34% are like me and simply do not care? It might simply be that the Earth's shape does not directly impact them. They accept whatever it is.

© Copyright 2018 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945704-The-Earth-Is-Round