*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946154-The-Nutcracker-TSO-style
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Arts · #2172182
Art and Multimedia through the eyes of a Dragon
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#946154 added November 24, 2018 at 5:26am
Restrictions: None
The Nutcracker, TSO style
Find an arts event to attend. Write a page (maximum of 300 words) discussing the following questions:
What did you see or participate in and where?
Why did you choose this?
What did you learn that can contribute to what you are learning in this course
What do you wonder now about what you have seen?


Two nights ago, I went to watch my cousin perform at the Federation Concert Hall with the TSO- Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra. He played a Grieg piece and another, more Christmassy song, called "Brazilian Sleigh Bells" as an opener for the TSO. He is a Rising Star pianist, having already finished his 8th grade Australian Music Board Examinations two years ago, at age 11 (5th grade). Last year, he got an Associates degree in Music, Australia.

My cousin (his initials are SY) at the TSO
My cousin (in red) performing at the Federation Concert Hall in the Grand Chancellor.
Yes, I got his parents' permission to use his photos for the blog.


Mostly, I went to support my cousin, but I also enjoyed the various Nutcracker pieces the orchestra performed. It was cute that they partnered with a dance school (ballet company?) to bring out some young dancers as an accompaniment for the music. Even if the girls weren't great, I liked the idea.
I noticed at the end, that the little boy who came out at the end of the performance was the first chair's son- I saw her holding his flower hat in the foyer after the performance. This made me wonder if he was coincidentally also part of the dance school, which made the TSO partner with them, and then have him be brought out as the main character at the end. It also made me wonder how the ten girls who performed as the ballerinas were chosen- mostly because the "fairy" seemed a little too pleased with herself at being the main dancer.
From this performance, I suppose it made me rethink classical music and ballet. Many people may think going to see an orchestra perform live isn't much fun, but when it's paired with dance, it becomes something else entirely. Additionally, in regular ballets, even if the music is done live, there is usually an orchestra pit under the stage where the musicians play. This time, the orchestra was the main attraction, and the ballet seemed more of an addition to the music, instead of the music being an addition to the dance. I've always enjoyed watching ballet, but classical music most definitely does not rank high in my musical tastes, so seeing their performances made me start to appreciate the art more. Seeing it live is much more moving than listening to a studio-recorded CD, and the I could see the first chair (violinist) was really into her music- her whole body moved with her bow strokes, and I think she recognized the hard work my cousin put into his music as well, because I saw her shake his hand after his performance was done as well!

© Copyright 2018 Dragon is hiding (UN: flamebreather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dragon is hiding has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946154-The-Nutcracker-TSO-style