*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949993-Washington-State-Patrol---Yakima
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#949993 added January 19, 2019 at 12:23pm
Restrictions: None
Washington State Patrol - Yakima
Date: Week of January 14th


Locale: Yakima, Washington


         This week finds me in Yakima, Washington for a class with the Washington State Patrol.  Yakima sits in Central Washington in the middle of wine country.  It's in a valley with small mountains surrounding it.  This class was one of those short two day ones, and was pretty interesting.  Let me explain


         I arrived on Sunday so the local Motorola Tech and I could meet with the customer to ensure classroom logistics were set, and we were ready for the class.  I anticipated an hour long meeting or so, but it lasted 4-5 hours!  Now, there was some time spent just gabbing, you know how people can be.  But it was also good in that I learned how they are using this particular software, and realized I couldn't deliver the class as I usually did.  So, a little thought, a bit of adjustment, and I delivered it with a new approach.  This is because they have things set up a little differently than most customers.  It's hard to explain without showing you the course, and I think most of you would be bored to tears quickly.


         The first day of class was 'interesting' to say the least.  We were discussing the basics of the software before really diving into it. and one of the guys was having a hard time understanding a key concept.  I listened to his questions and assumptions, and started to address each one.  But every time I started to say something, he'd interrupt me.  Finally he said he would learn it on his own, and that I should continue.  I wasn't angry with him, but I decided I'd had enough of that kind of stuff, so I explained to him in no uncertain terms that I had listened to him very courteously, and that now it was his turn to listen the same way.  Once again he started to interrupt me, so I told him to be quiet for a moment and listen.  I don't like being that assertive with students, but sometimes you have to set limits, and make sure they understand who is the instructor, and who is the student.  On the next break, at least three other students thanked me, explaining that his man does something like this every class.  The rest of the class was uneventful, and went fairly smoothly.  For some reason, as I was leaving them Thursday, most of them clapped.  I still wonder if they were clapping because I was leaving, of if they clapped as a way of saying 'Thank you'.  *Laugh*


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Los Hernandez Tamales          http://www.loshernandeztamales.com/41-2/  I've been craving authentic Tamales recently, tried some here and they just didn't measure up.  This place has some excellent tamales though, I know I should have gone back.



In Closing

         I will spend this week at home before getting out of the winter and spending two weeks in Phoenix Arizona!.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949993-Washington-State-Patrol---Yakima