*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973927-Running-On-Empty
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#973927 added January 22, 2020 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Running On Empty
PROMPT January 22nd

Your bags are packed. You have unlimited funds and resources to travel anywhere you want. Where do you go, who do you bring with you, and why?


Thanks, yeah, remind me about how I'm not going to get to go to Scotland with my friend.

There's a part of me that wants to travel, and keep traveling, and never look back. It urges me to go out there, anywhere, everywhere, see all the sights, do all the things, drink all the booze, while I still can.

For what? Asks the other part of me, the part that wants to stay home and run a routine. What's the point? It's not like you have anywhere to run to, or anything to run from. It's comfortable here. And besides, you have cats counting on you. All those travel experiences, sooner or later, all those moments will be lost in time...

So, as with anything else in life, we compromise. I stay home most of the time, but sometimes I go out there, looking out at the road rushing under my wheels. Other times, I fly, even if, sadly, not under my own power.

A few entries ago, I wrote, "There are few people I can get along with for more than a few hours or days." It occurred to me much later that this could be interpreted in at least two ways. What I meant by it was that I don't like to inflict my presence on other people for very long. So, I generally travel alone. I don't have to, though. I'd bring anyone who can put up with me.

As for where? Well, where not would be a more appropriate question. I'd probably stay out of war zones. And there's no point in going where there's no booze. Plus, my idea of "roughing it" is staying in a two-star hotel; camping in the wilderness is a hard pass. So is trekking across Antarctica. Fuck that noise.

That still leaves a lot of ground to cover. And ocean; cruise ships count as "not roughing it."

Some things on my wish list: Trekking across Canada the way I've done with the US - summer only, thanks. The civilized part of Alaska; also summer. Japan, for many reasons, chief among them a particular brand of Japanese whiskey I just can't get in my country. A river cruise down (or up; I don't care) the Danube. A few weeks in France, sampling as much wine as I can. Belgium, for the beer and the food. Germany. Scotland, as I've noted (technically, I've been there, but didn't get to drink any scotch). The Caribbean. Parts of Central America (see above about staying out of war zones). Parts of South America; that is, the parts that don't involve piranha nibbling on my tenders. Australia, New Zealand, Iceland. There are other places, but that's a start. Hell, I'd even consider Antarctica if I can mostly stay on the cruise ship.

And so we come to "why." I'm trying to resist the temptation to leave it at "why not?" Why does anyone do anything, knowing full well that there's only one certain destination, after which everything else you've done won't matter anymore? Well, if nothing else, it'll give me more stuff to write about.

Isn't that enough?




If it takes all night, that'll be all right
If I can get you to smile before I leave
Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels
Look around for the friends that I used to turn to to pull me through
Looking into their eyes, I see them running too

Running on (running on empty)
Running on (running blind)
Running on (running into the sun)
But I'm running behind

Honey, you really tempt me
You know the way you look so kind
I'd love to stick around, but I'm running behind
(Running on) You know I don't even know what I'm hoping to find
(Running blind) Running into the sun, but I'm running behind

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973927-Running-On-Empty