*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993459-Running-the-Deer-Gauntlet
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#993459 added September 15, 2020 at 11:57pm
Restrictions: None
Running the Deer Gauntlet
It was a good day. We got all the brochures sorted and counted for the non-profit organization I lead. They sit now in my living room waiting to now go to the post office. Many hands made short work of the chore. Plus the previous chairperson handed over all the financial records today. That was something I had been fretting about for a few months. She held everything close to the vest, and was not forthcoming with any information. I had thought long and hard about how to approach her about getting the records when lo and behold! Here she came today and gave me the keys *Key* to the kingdom. Amazing.....

Then I had a long chat with friends about some Southeast Montana tourism business. That also went well. I then went home and did some writing for a church radio project for a time. Then another meeting with the hospital ladies auxiliary. We try to raise money to help the residents in the nursing home. Raising money is always a challenge. So we chatted a time about that and the Covid challenge in the hospital setting. Not good at the moment.

So as I wait for the time to go to play practice, hubby comes home from a trip to Billings. Errands took him there today. We try not to go there unless necessary, so he was glad to get home. We finally have finished our remodeling project and now are slowly moving our bedroom into the new room. Now it seems there is a territorial war waging on the new closet organizer. Who knew something so basic could cause so much angst..... But I refuse to let it derail this train. *Smirk2*

I decide to go to the grocery on the way to Musselshell. I have a real weakness for anything salty, and my chip supply is depleted. So I buy some chips and then head down the road. 5 miles into my journey, at 6 PM, well, it was bound to happen. I've been driving for weeks through the deer highway disguised as Rt 12 from Roundup to Musselshell. She came out of nowhere. Rotten little deer. Just had to say hi and just like that ruin my car, my night and her life. Instantly my car is disabled and I am on the side of the road and she is lifeless in a ditch.

I ran into the road (not recommended people), flagged down another car, who stopped, and asked if I could use their phone. I don't have a cell phone. This kind lady, who was taking her son to soccer practice, did stop and let me call hubby. She told me about the time she hit deer on this road before. We chatted for a bit then she got on the way to soccer practice. *Soccer*

I sat in my poor car, thought about life and stupid accidents, in lala land when I hear something. I looked off to the right and 'Hello, are you alright?' An older fellow in a big truck is beside me on the shoulder. 'Yes, yes, I'm fine. I'm not hurt at all.' The air bags didn't even go off. Just the front fender got damaged, nothing else seems damaged. We proceed to talk for at least an hour until my hubby arrives in another vehicle with our friend. This gentleman's name is Ed, he has a farm nearby (600 cattle), he sees dozens of deer hit on this stretch of road weekly.*Dead* Seems our friend Jim, who used to be a teacher, knows this Ed and taught his children. Small town living! Ed had a son that years ago was crossing the highway on a 4 wheeler and got hit by a semi. *Sad* Is that why Ed stayed talking to me until my hubby came? Hmmm..... Well soon after this the tow truck arrived, hooked up the car and we all finally got home.

So now I sit here, discouraged but grateful I am not injured. I've had auto accidents in the past that were not so kind. Now I have to find out how to get to my commitment to perform Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then I have to decide if that play group is something I can do in the future. Since I have to run the deer gauntlet to get to the theater, can I afford an accident every year? every trip? Darn.

© Copyright 2020 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993459-Running-the-Deer-Gauntlet