SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1196434
Rated: E · Message Forum · Educational · #981789
work in progress- writing assignments & links for use in the home school
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 4, 2006 at 9:08am
Assignment #11: Thank You's
         I hope it goes without saying that your children will be writing thank-you's for the gifts they received for Christmas? In our family, I require hand-written thank-you's for each gift from outside the home (though thank you's to siblingss & parents might be appropriate, too???). Adjust your expectations according to age/writing ability of your kids. Minimally, require correct spelling & neatness. For all except the very youngest I also require that they chat a bit about their holidays or some other recent event. None of those scant "Thanks for the ________. Love, Billy"- type notes. Having them add drawings is a nice touch.

We do one letter per day until they have thanked everyone. In our family, I have all the kids write to the same person on a given day (like to grandparents) so we can mail them together.

If letter writing is new to your kids, you might want to teach some basic letter format first- greeting, body, paragraph indents, etc. These thank you's are informal, so don't do the business-letter stuff right now.

BTW- Thank-you's should also be routine at other times of the year- any time someone does something nice for the family. Besides instilling an attitude of gratitude, it's a great real-life way to learn to write. And it earns great brownie points with grandparents!

Note for 1st-3rd grade:
Have the child dictate to you words they need help spelling. Then have them refer to the list rather than continually asking you how to spell a word. Learning to accurately copy from one sheet to another is very important.

** Image ID #933346 Unavailable **

A sig for the Lothlorien Group!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Assignment #11: Thank You's · 01-04-06 9:08am
by Lobelia is truly blessed

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Lobelia is truly blessed.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1196434