*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1903831
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 4, 2009 at 11:58am
Entry
by A Non-Existent User
When Harry the shoemaker was told that his latest creation were 'clown shoes," he shrugged it off and continued to work. Most people were satisfied with the shoes he made, so one customer's opinion wasn't enough to put much stock in. He made unique shoes, ones in styles and colors that weren't like traditional sneakers or dress shoes. And Harry was proud of his work, so that's all that mattered.

He had all but forgotten about the comment until a Sunday morning at the end of February, when a clown walked into the shop, dressed in full circus regalia. Poofy blue and white hair, big red nose, everything. In a small pocket of the costume, a grasshopper slinked back and forth, as if observing its surroundings.

"I need some shoes," was the first thing out of the clown's painted lips.

Harry couldn't respond at first. Clowns were mute, weren't they?

"Did you hear me? I need some shoes. The circus is coming to town next month, and the ones I have are worn!" The clown kicked his leg up and put his foot on the countertop (He must have done yoga or something, to be able to do that). The shoe, which was the faded color and roughly the shape of bananas, had holes all over, and the sole was almost falling off. "So will you do it? I'm pressed for time here."

Despite the clown's attitude - weren't clowns supposed to be always happy anyway? - Harry accepted the job, and began working on the new pair of shoes. Finding the material in the same shade of banana yellow was a little difficult, but he was able to find some in storage. It had been used to make a pair of costume shoes for a musical years ago.

Harry worked hard at the shoes, trying to keep the form the same. He called the clown to tell him they were completed, and for the first time heard a tone of happiness in the clown's voice. "Thank you so much!!"

The clown rushed into the shop in less than an hour. Harry saw the little car pull up out front and double park. "So, let me see those beautiful shoes!" The clown's real smile was wider and brighter than the one painted on, if that was even possible.

Harry set them on the counter and smiled proudly. "So, what do you think?"

Thre was a moment of silence before the clown frowned again, and it seemed the grasshopper did as well. "These shoes aren't the right size!!"

"What?"

"They are too small! I'll never fit in them!"

Harry couldn't believe this. He had worked to the last detail and still it wasn't enough for a clown. "I'm sorry, but I'm not about to argue with a clown in with a bug in his pocket!"

"A bug in my pocket!? How dare you insult Mr. Leggs!"

Harry sighed. It was back to the drawing board...
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry · 05-04-09 11:58am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1903831