*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2540455
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1931562
My blog. Sometimes abstruse musings and rants!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:34pm
The Chalk
JULY 1 PROMPT: You get a piece of magical chalk. Anything you draw comes to life. Either describe what you will do with the chalk or create a list of rules for using the magical chalk.

Hello everyone! Welcome to all the new faces! To the older ones, glad you're still here. This month starts off with a difficult prompt (for me at least). So here's my weak attempt at making a meal of it:

He came to me in a dream. There wasn’t anything unusual about him, except the gleaming Halo, soft like cream. I slowly approached him, but I wasn’t scared. He had the kindest eyes I have ever seen; he could not be a bad man, if he were a man at all. He started speaking, breaking the fragile stillness that pervaded the foggy enclosure.

“Hello, Michael,” he spoke in a silken tone.

“Who are you, sir?” I quivered.

“That is immaterial, son. What concerns me the most is you; it breaks my heart to see such a fine young boy so sad. Why are you so sad, Michael?”

“Kind sir, it is because I am an orphan. I have nobody I can call my own in this cruel world.”

“It isn’t as cruel as seems, my lad. I have a gift for you. However, before I give it to you, you must promise to use it for good means.”

“Pray, sir. I mean no one any harm. What is it?”

He unclenched his fist and closed his eyes as he produced a simple piece of chalk, white and dry. Handing it to me, he said,

“This is a little piece of magic for you. Whatever you draw with this shall come true. It will last as long as you like, provided you not use it for underhand motives or to inflict harm on others. Keep it safe, my boy. May you live a happy and long life.”

The man disappeared into thin air as soon as he had spoken his final word, leaving me flummoxed.

***************************************************************************************************************************

A pillow fight next to me woke me up at dawn. The rowdy twins, Sven and Lars, were at it again. When I got up from my bed, something caught my eye, a little white object protruding from under the tattered pillow. I picked it quietly and hid it in my pocket for later examination. When the twins went out to the playground to continue their fight using stones, I decided to take my chance. Had the dream really been true? Who was the man? There was only one way to test the ‘powers’ of the ordinary looking chalk.

I squatted down onto the floor and started drawing. I desperately needed a new pair of spectacles since Lars had stepped on my current one to break it. When I was done, I watched in a mixture of horror and surprise as a brand new pair of spectacles appeared on the floor! Just then, my roommates walked in.

“What are ya’ doin’ on the floor, Mikey? Playing with your ‘Mikey’?” Sven chided.

I hurriedly got up and stowed the chalk away.

“Don’t call me Mikey! My name is Michael. Understand?”

“Oh really? You’re talking back now, are you little Mikey?”

“Stop that! Or else…”

“Or else what? Can you take the two of us?”

“What’s happening here, boys?” the matron walked in.

“Nothing ma’am. We’re just horsing around, nothing serious.” They chorused.

“It better stay that way. Now come on Sven and Lars. It’s your turn to clean the kitchen.”

They sulkily walked out, leaving me to my own devices. I started dreaming about what all I would use the chalk to get.

In the end, I realized that I needed only one thing, something important. I stooped and drew two figures, a male and a female. Mom and Dad, I had seen their picture once. A minute later, they stood in front of me as tears welled in my eyes. I hugged them tightly, never wanting to let go. My first hug in memory, my best one. As we separated eventually, mom wiped off my tears. Her touch was softer, warmer and more affectionate than I could have ever imagined. I put the chalk on the floor and crushed it with my foot. I didn’t need it any longer. That day, I walked out of St. John’s Orphanage for Boys for the last time, with my dad’s hand on my shoulder and my mother’s entwined with mine.

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Chalk · 07-01-13 7:34pm
by Jack-check out 7YS
Re: The Chalk · 07-02-13 1:14pm
by WyrdNaos Trippin' on Yello
Re: The Chalk · 07-02-13 1:18pm
by Grace♥Leo health issues
Re: The Chalk · 07-02-13 4:10pm
by Fivesixer
Re: Re: The Chalk · 07-02-13 6:07pm
by Jack-check out 7YS
Re: The Chalk · 07-03-13 1:50am
by LostGhost: Seeking & Learning
Re: Re: The Chalk · 07-03-13 8:00pm
by Jack-check out 7YS

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Jack-check out 7YS.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2540455