*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032273-Chapter-5
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #2272852
Jake, Beth, and Pam have to band together with old foes to stop the monster they unleashed
#1032273 added May 12, 2022 at 5:05am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5
Beth, Pam, Kait, Alexis, and Havoc stepped out of the darkness atop the clocktower. Kait doubled over as she fought to keep the contents of her stomach down. Havoc stepped away from everyone seemingly unphased by the teleport. "Ugh, how long before you get used to that shit?" Kait asked.

"Took me about six," Beth replied.

"Two is too many," Kait said.

"Vomit if you must, but do it quickly," Pam said, "We are pressed for time, and we don't have all night for you to expell your dinner."

"Gee, you sound like Jay," Kait said, grinning as she stood up, "A regular asshole."

"That means she's warming up to you," Alexis laughed.

"Fuck you," Kait spat.

Havoc looked around and asked, "This is your base of operations?"

"It's not much, but it's all we've got," Kait replied, "We're fighting a losing battle here."

"Clearly," Havoc said, "You're desperate if you're willing to bring me into the fold."

"Maybe," Beth said, stepping forward, "If you'd have told me a year ago that I'd be working with you and the others, I'd have laughed in your face. Times change, shit happens, and we do what we have to in order to survive."

"Is that what you call this?" Havoc asked, "You're like roaches fleeing from the light. Survival...is that why you ended up in the arms of that one?"

"We're the last chance this city has," Beth said, glaring at Havoc, "I made a choice to accept am offer months ago, and I don't regret my decision. I was broken, but thanks to her I've been rebuilt and am stronger than ever. You wanted to break me, but Goth beat you to that long ago."

"A pity I couldn't see it," Havoc spat, "If this city's only hope is us, then it's already dead."

"What was that?" Beth asked.

"That's enough," Pam sighed, "Fighting amongst ourselves is pointless. Havoc, Beth made her choice, and it's done more for her and I than you will ever know. If you've truly given up already, then perhaps we wasted our time with you. If you'd prefer, I can rip your soul from your body and fast track it to Hell."

"You wouldn't dare," Havoc said, turning to face Pam, "You preach about time, and killing me would only prove that you're a hypocrite."

"It's a bigger waste of time to fight to keep a rabid dog on her leash," Pam said, "Your choice, what's it going to be?"

They glared at each other for a moment. Pam felt a spark of amusement from the behemoth in front of her, the first shred of emotion she'd felt from the woman. "Funny, I almost find myself liking you," she said, "Let's go. I'm anxious to hear your shit plan on just how you intend to save this pathetic city."

"What a charmer," Pam sighed, stepping forward to lead everyone back into the tower before stopping in front of Havoc, "Do not test my patience. I will make the hard call and cut any dead weight if it comes to it. You'll have your chance at revenge, but more importantly, you'll have your chance to prove yourself soon enough. Cross us, and I will make sure that your death is a slow and painful one."

Beth hung back with Kait and Alexis for a moment before following after and sighing, "Well this is off to about as good a start as I thought."

"For once, I agree with you," Kait sighed, "If Jay was worried about infighting before, I hope he's prepared for what we've brought back with us."

"You two are so pessimistic," Alexis said, "We've only just gotten together. Let's give it more than an hour to see if we can't warm up to one another. You fucked with chaos, what did you expect to happen?"

"That's the sanest thing I've ever heard you say," Kait said with a grin, "The world is really going to shit when Footgirl starts making sense."

"Fucking right!" Alexis laughed, "I'm gonna need you two to pull it together. I cannot be the sane one in this group. I've got a reputation to protect, damnit!"

"Let's go, idiot," Kait laughed.

"This is gonna be interesting," Beth said as she followed behind her allies.

Jason sat in the main room of their base sharpening his knife. He'd already cleaned his guns, reloaded his magazines, and triple checked his remaining ammunition. Truthfully, he was growing more and more anxious with every second that passed. He knew that Kait and the others had succeeded, but he also knew they were running out of time. Charity and Avery had confirmed his suspicions that Goth was mobilizing her forces. It worried him more that they weren't making any offensive moves than anything. She was planning something, and knowing her it wasn't anything good. They needed to move fast, or else they'd end up in an ambush.

"You're sure they left the prison?" he asked Zoey.

"Jay, for the third time, yes I'm sure," she replied, "I've checked every camera working, and they are gone."

"Well where the hell are they?" he asked, "I thought sending a magic user would ensure they made it back quickly."

Heavy footfalls drew their attention, and Jason was quick to draw his pistols. Pam stepped through the doorway with the familiar hulking sight of Havoc trailing closely behind her. "Have a little faith, Jason," Pam said, "We were delayed because your secret weapon chose to pick a fight with Beth, but we're here now. You would do well not to doubt my abilities if we are to continue working together."

"This is your resistance?" Havoc asked, looking around the poorly furnished and equipped base, "This has to be a joke."

"Havoc," Jason said, standing up to stare up at the colossus, "We've been waiting a while to meet face to face."

"So I've heard," Havoc said as she walked in, "I can see why you were desperate enough to try to recruit me with this little shell of an operation."

"We're not much to look at, but then neither are you," Jason said, earning a pointed look from Havoc who marched towards him, "A smaller force just means it's more difficult to detect us. If you think I'm intimidated by you, then I suggest you rethink your position."

"Sounds like you need a lesson in fear, little man," Havoc said, "You've invited the monster into your home. Give me a reason to snap you in half, boy."

"I've dealt with monsters much worse than you for longer than you can imagine," he said, cooking his gun, "Spend enough time with monsters, and you'll eventually become like them. If you want to test my theory, then go ahead and make a move."

Kait, Alexis, and Beth stepped in to see Jason and Havoc glaring at one another. Kait sighed as she stepped forward, "Alright, break it up you two. Jason is mine, Havoc. I staked my claim, and you still owe me from my last stint in that prison."

Havoc looked at Kait for a moment before stepping back and growling, "Fine, Kaitlyn. I didn't know you were into used toys. I guess I'll have to find someone else to play with."

"Not happening, Goliath," Beth said, stepping forward, "I so much as catch a whiff of you fucking with anyone here, and I'll put you down myself."

"You had to have your little girlfriend save you at the prison, or did you forget?" Havoc countered.

"I was holding back, you thick-headed freak," Beth snapped, "If I wanted you dead, you'd be dead. You'll have plenty of chances to fill your sadistic desires once we launch an attack."

"Ah yes, the infamous Feral," Havoc mocked, "The cells from prisoners escaping remained empty once you abandoned your morale code. Even in my cell, the reports of your carnage reached me. It's funny how someone who spent so long fighting against people like us suddenly stooped to our level."

"Cancer has to be cut out," Beth said, "I didn't realize that until it was too late. I'm not making the same mistakes again. Step out of line, and I will fucking end you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Boy, I can really feel the love in here right now," Alexis said, stepping around everyone, "So, if we're done comparing dick sizes, mine's the biggest just so you know, I think there's work to be done. Also, I'd appreciate it if you fuck heads would get your shit together! Fuck's sake, if I have to make one more rational comment, I'm gonna lose my shit!"

"She's right," Jason said, "I can't believe those words just came out of my mouth, but we can't afford to waste anymore time. Where's your little hero boy?"

"He'll be along," Pam said, stepping forward to steer the conversation away from the brewing hostilities, "What we need to focus on right now is Rebecca's mobilization of her forces. I'm sure your girls below have confirmed it, but I noticed a distinct uptick in their movements. She's planning something, and if I had to guess she's searching for us."

Jason nodded and walked over to the table in the center or the room. He motioned for everyone to follow him. Sally, Sam, Zoey, and the others quietly walked over. There was a sense of unease that filled the room as everyone gathered around. He leaned over the table as he addressed everyone, "Scouting reports and communications from Avery and Charity have confirmed that Goth's forces are indeed on the move. A new curfew has been enacted as well, so the only people on the streets are the ones part of her military forces."

"Her chosen," Pam corrected, earning a confused look from everyone, "Rebecca believes she is a divine being, so she's not going to refer to her forces as a simple militant operation. It's also more than just a preference for her. Calling them by such names and titles feeds into the fanaticism, and it makes them much more loyal and dangerous. The people following her commands, serving her, and the like most likely believe that their death will serve a higher purpose. Intimidation won't be easy with them, and it's a tactic that I wouldn't bet on using."

"Those people just need a reminder of what all of us are capable of," Kait said confidently, "They've forgotten just who and what we are."

"No, she's right," Jason sighed, "It'll take a serious display to even come close to shaking them. It's how she works. The best way to ensure victory is to have your soldiers unafraid of death."

"With that said," Pam continued, "I do think that if you, Havoc, and the rest of us can work together, we might be able to pull such a feat off. Brute force won't win this war, but a sound strategy may give us rhe edge that we need."

"So what do you suggest?" Sally asked.

"First, I suggest we relocate," Pam answered.

"You want to abandon our outpost?" Jason asked, "Why?"

"The risk of us losing this place is too great," Pam replied, "We don't have much time before she and the rest of her warriors attack. It's better for us to be found somewhere else and be able to retreat. Misdirection is an old trick in street magic, but it's one that's proved invaluable for millenia."

"You're suggesting we purposefully expose ourselves," Jason said, shaking his head, "There are too many lives at stake for me to agree with that plan."

"Would you rather fight and die here?" Pam asked, "If we remain here and get discovered, then this tower will become a tomb. It's a good place to make a last stand, but if that's your plan then Beth and I made a mistake joining your group."

"You're suggesting an option that could get us all killed," Jason argued, "I have no intention of waiting to die, but running into the fire before we're ready is suicide."

"Waiting isn't an option," Beth said, "If you wait until everyone is ready, it'll be too late. Everyone here knows the risks of joining this fight, Jason. If you're so worried, why not put it to a vote?"

"She's right, Jay," Kait sighed, "I don't like it, but they make good points. It'll be better for us to have this place to fall back to if shit hits the fan."

"Fear only serves to show weakness," Havoc said, "I am no cockroach, and I will not run from this fight. I have enough faith in my own strength to carry me through. If you're afraid, then this whole effort is a waste of time."

"I'm in," Sally sighed, "This whole operation is dumb as shit already, so why not take some fucking initiative?"

"If Sally's in, I'm in," Sam agreed.

"I don't like the idea of losing my freedom, or my newest little playmate," Zoey said, threading her fingers through Sam's, "But if everyone else is willing to fight then so am I. I've spent enough time on the force to know how to operate a gun, and I'm a decent shot with a handgun or a rifle."

"Would you stop calling attention to me?" Sam asked, looking over at Zoey who gave her a coy grin.

"Sucks, doesn't it?" Beth laughed.

"Fuck you," Sam replied.

"I'm always down for a good fight and a good time," Alexis said, "What's the worst that can happen? We die a horrible and painful death?"

"No, that's the best case scenario," Pam replied, "Worst case is we become pawns in Rebecca's schemes."

"Gee with thoughts like that, who could say no?" Kait asked, sarcastically, "Regular ball of sunshine over here."

"There's no point in sugar coating anything anymore," Pam replied, "Everyone here deserves to know the risks of what they're getting into."

Jason sighed, "Alright, fine. Where exactly do you propose we go?"

"I'm glad you asked," Pam replied, "There's a warehouse by the docks that has been unused for some time now. Jake has taken the liberty of confirming this, and he's planning to meet us there."

"So this is his plan," Jason said, "It figures that bastard would come up with something that would jeopardize the lives of everyone here."

"Back off, Jason," Beth said, "The three of us are playing to win, and right now that means using a shell game tactic. You're more than welcome to sit this one out if you're scared."

He glared at Beth, "There is a difference between being afraid and being smart," he said, "I'm not abandoning my people. I'm not like that coward."

"Call him what you want, he's actively fighting against Goth right now," Beth said.

"Reactive is what I call it," Jason said, bitterly, "He caused this mess, and he's only trying to fix the damage he's done."

"Voice your displeasure to him when we see him," Pam said, "We need to move before it's too late."

"Fine," Jason said, "Let's get on with it then."

"Glad we're in agreement," Pam said, "Everyone, grab whatever equipment you feel you might need before we head out. Guns, blades, whatever you feel necessary. I don't plan on us getting caught, but it's better that we be prepared for the worst. Hurry, and as soon as you have what you need, return here so I can get us to the warehouse."

"Not the fucking teleport," Kait groaned, "Anyone who hasn't traveled by magic, brace yourself."

"Listen to her," Beth agreed, "It's a rough ride, but it's the fastest way there. Let's move out, people!"

*****

Rebecca sat in her room watching the clock. Her visions had gotten steadily worse, but for the moment she was alone. The two sides of herself had only recently left her after another burst of power. This was getting out of hand. There was still one hour before Jake and everyone's time was up. She knew there was a way to stop part of hallucinations, but doing so meant locking away a part of herself. It was risky, but this was her body, her world. She could always reverse the ritual later, but that was if her new self could even be bothered to do it. She had given strict orders not to he disturbed, and this ritual was precisely why she'd issued the command. With a heavy heart, she closed her eyes and slid off the bed and onto her knees. There wasn't another option.

She took a deep breath and her hands began to glow. She held out her hands, closed them, and held up two fingers on each hand. She began weaving ancient symbols in the air while reciting the incantation, "I call upon the forgotten forces that lurk within the darkness. Come to me, give me your power, and bend to my will. I, with sound body and shaky mind, call on you with a singular desire: make whole my ambition, and banish all thoughts that seek to deprive me of success. Give to me the power to vanquish self-doubt, and seal away all parts of me that threaten my desires!"

"Don't do this," her past self pleaded, "You're giving into the corruption within you."

"Away with you!" she snapped as she continued casting, "I will not be stopped from obtaining what is mine!"

"It's not too late!" her past self exclaimed, "You can make right the wrongs that you've done, Rebecca. If you do this, there will be no turning back. You'll doom yourself and whatever hopes that you have of reuniting with Jake!"

"Do not listen to her!" the demonic side of her growled, "All things in this world belong to you, and all mortals break eventually. Free yourself from this weakness, and bring him and his little group to their knees! What you have done, you have done for them! Time and again, you show mercy only to have them spit in your face. It may seem harsh, but discipline is the only way that people like them will learn!"

"She is a liar and you know it!" her past self screamed, "You've dealt with devils before, and if you do this, you will become one!"

Rebecca did her best to tune the arguing out. She continued the ritual, her mind and heart already made up, "I cast off the bonds of mortality, and I order the spirits of the old Gods to give me the power to enact my will!"

An ethereal sword appeared on the ground as the air began to grow heavy. Rebecca reached down to take it in both hands as her past self continued to plead, "You will become the devil herself! There is no divinity in this, only evil! I implore you, for the sake of all that we are, do not do this!"

Ignoring the echoes of her former self, she gripped the blade and leveled the tip with her stomach, "Grant me the strength to become something more than this shell that walks the earth! By the blood of the forsaken, make me whole!"

"No!" her past self screamed.

"Yes!" the demonic side praised.

Without hesitation, she plunged the blade into her stomach. She tensed, and time froze for a second. Blood dripped from her wound and from her lips, and her eyes closed in anticipation. She forced herself to utter the final words of the spell, "Make me...eternal...give me...that...which I am owed!"

The sword began to dissolve inside of her, and a burning sensation overtook her. The screams of her past self reverberated in her mind, but they were drowned out by her own screams. The foundation of the manor quaked as energies flocked and flooded the room. Ethereal stands of energy swirled around her body in a vortex. The demonic laughter accompanied her screams, and her past self began to dissolve into nothingness as she was locked away. Her body rose into the air and began to contort. Her bones cracked and shifted along her back and through her limbs. She threw her head back and screamed. Raw arcane energy flowed from her mouth and surrounded her body. The image of herself, gaunt, distorted, yet regal, appeared within her mind. Tendrils of darkness dripped down around her body for a moment before they stopped and pulled back into her.

She dropped back to the ground on her knees panting. She pushed herself to her feet and looked at her hand. Her pupils had shifted to slits of darkness, but the purple glow of her irises was brighter than ever. The amount of power she felt was incredible. Gone were the voices of her two sides, and instead all that was left was her. A singular, secular desire on her mind: domination. She took a deep breath and smiled, "I am eternal, I am the alpha and omega, and I will make this world serve me!" she said as a cackle ripped from her lips and echoed in the emptiness of the room.

******

The members of the resistance materialized within the walls of the warehouse. Their reactions to the teleport varied from a simple shudder to expelling the contents of their stomachs. "My God, it's so cold," Zoey said as she stood up, "How can you stand that?"

Pam shrugged as she walked off, the only one besides Beth unphased by the spell, "Traveling in the space between dimensions is disorienting at first, but it becomes much easier with practice."

"The space between, what?" Sally asked trying not to vomit, "Fucking hell, Beth, you couldn't have found a normal girl to settle down with?"

Beth shrugged and walked behind Pam, "Why couldn't I have an aunt who knows what a shower is?" she countered.

"Fuck off," Sally replied.

"Your little trick is handy, blondie," Havoc remarked, "Twice now you've managed to move us far in a short time. This is the warehouse on Pier 43, right?"

"How did you know?" Beth asked.

"This was where I stored most of my chemicals years ago," Havoc replied, "The broken railing up top is from where you and the bird threw me over."

"Oh yeah," Beth said, remembering the trying fight, "I'd say sorry, but you had pinned me under your swampy ass for an hour before Jake arrived. You're lucky it was back then. If it were now, I'd have put a bullet through that freaky mask of yours."

"I'd like to see you try," Havoc scoffed, "Once this is over, I suggest you stay out of my way. We're on the same side, for now, but once we've beaten the witch, I have no intention of joining your ranks. Right now, this alliance is one of pure convenience."

"That's fair enough," Beth said, "One thing at a time, though. We'll see where you stand once this is all over."

"I can feel the love in here," Alexis said, "I bet if Pam weren't around, you two would end up together."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Beth asked.

"Don't be stupid," Havoc said.

"You're both a couple of tough bitches with attitude, you're both broody, and you're both stubborn as fuck," Alexis explained, "Might take a while, but I bet you two could be pretty close."

"I'm not sure I appreciate you insinuating that my girlfriend would be with another woman," Pam said.

"Oh, come on," Alexis said, "She's not gonna be with anyone but you. Look, I've got spot-on gaydar, alright? I called her ending up with a woman way before you two actually started dating."

"Shut up!" Beth snapped, stomping her foot.

"You have always given off that vibe," Kait added, "Honestly, I thought you were a lesbian the first time I saw you without that stupid mask."

"Fuck you," Beth said.

"It's not like I was wrong," Kait argued, "You've been shacking up with tall, dark, and spooky over there for months."

"If you're all done talking about your sexual preferences, we've got work to do," Jason said, "I don't give a fuck if you're attracted to toasters. We need to secure the perimeter here, and I'd like to know when hero boy is supposed to join us."

"You're a real buzz-kill, you know that?" Alexis said, "We're just trying to have a little fun."

"Do that after we've won," he replied.

"He's right," Beth said, "Pam and I will check the perimeter while the rest of you find a good spot to post up."

"Sounds good," Jason said, "Kait, Zoey, Sally, Sam, and Havoc, let's find a few things to fortify our position. Havoc, you know this place pretty well, so why don't you lead the way on this one."

"I thought you'd never ask," Havoc said, "Follow me, and you two hurry up so we can get back to business."

"Be careful," Sam said, "We need all the help we can get if we're going to survive this fight."

Beth and Pam nodded before they headed off. They were near the doors when Beth asked, "What's wrong? Are you having second thoughts about Jake's plan?"

"No," Pam replied, "I don't like it, but given who we're working with, it's a necessary evil. I felt something before we left. A surge of power that shook the very fabric of reality."

"You think it was Goth?" Beth asked, peeking outside the doors.

"I know it was," Pam replied, "She's done something to further her power, something that I fear has made our fight much more difficult."

"Great," Beth said, pushing the doors to the warehouse shut, "What do you think it is?"

"Nothing good," Pam said, "I don't have any idea what it is, but I believe she's more dangerous than ever now. I have a bad feeling about this."

"So we're out of options then," Beth sighed, "Why does it always come down to the wire with us?"

"Bad luck or circumstance," Pam replied, "It doesn't matter. All that matters is that we stay together. I'll protect you, Kitten."

"I've got your back too," Beth said, "I guess you're right, it doesn't matter now."

They finished securing the warehouse and returned to their group. It was clear that everyone was becoming more and more restless by the minute. Havoc had found a table stashed in the back that they could use to sit and discuss plans. There were no chairs, but they made due with the old crates that sat around the warehouse. "Where is he?" Jason asked, after sitting silently for a while, "We can't sit here and continue to wait. We're exposed, at risk, and vulnerable here. We need to move while we still have a chance."

"He'll be here," Pam said, "I can sense him."

"I'm with Jay," Kait said, "One man isn't going to make a difference, and our efforts are going to be meaningless if we die in this shithole."

"The bird isn't coming," Havoc agreed, "This is a waste of time."

"Glad to see everyone still has hope," Jake's voice called out from up above.

Everyone looked around to try to find him, but his presence was masked by the shadows. "Show yourself, coward!" Jason yelled.

"Good to see you too, Jason," Jake called out.

"Go to Hell, hero," Jason barked, "Quit grandstanding and get out here!"

Jake leapt over the railing above and landed on the table in front of everyone. "My apologies for the delay, but I had some business to attend to," he said as he began pacing on the table, "You're all here because you've got either a grudge, a score, or a selfish motive against Goth. Some of you are here because you want to help, but most of you have been my enemy in the past."

"Birdboy," Havoc seethed.

"Birdboy is dead, Havoc," Jake said, "He died when Goth first took over, and Catgirl died shortly after. Now, back to what I was saying! Many of you have been my enemy and a royal pain in my ass, but you're also some of the strongest people I've encountered. I've got a plan to take down Goth once and for all, but I need to know that I can trust you all."

"We're all here for the same reason, jackass," Jason growled, "You'll have to get over your trust issues if you want to work with us."

"That's an excellent point," Jake said, "Pam, if you wouldn't mind."

Before anyone could register what was happening, Pam had sent collars soaring through the air and onto everyone's necks. "What the hell is this?!" Kait demanded.

The collars fastened around their necks, and the small gem in the front began flashing red. "Think of this as a little insurance," Jake said, "Some of you might remember these little babies from when Goth was last in control. I've taken the liberty of modifying them to better suit our cause. Step out of line, and those nifty little things go boom."

"Neat!" Alexis exclaimed, running her finger along the collar.

"What is the matter with you?" Sally asked, "Did you live under power lines as a kid or something?"

Alexis laughed before asking, "Why?"

"Oh for fuck's-Jake, this is insane," Sally said, "We're on your side, you idiot. Sammie has been worried sick about you, and Zoey here is a former cop!"

Jason stood up and pushed his seat back, "This is madness," he growled, "You can't do this to us!"

"Maybe it is mad, maybe I'm mad," Jake said, "I've seen what she can do, what she's willing to do, and what she's planning. No more games, I'm through watching her destroy everything."

"Disarm these fucking things and remove them!" Jason ordered, "I might not like you, but Sally is right when she says we're on the same side."

"If we're really on the same side, then you don't have anything to worry about," Jake said, "Think of these as a simple accessory until this is all over."

"That's what I'm doing!" Alexis exclaimed, "I've been meaning to pick up a new piece of jewelry. You're always so thoughtful, Jake."

Havoc slammed her fist down on the table before standing up. She locked eyes with Jake as she spoke, "Enough of this nonsense! Release us, Birdboy, or I'll rip the controller from your cold dead hands."

"Ah, ah, ah," Jake chided, waving a small detonator in his hand, "Good to see you too, Havoc. You're not going to make a move against any of us. Well, unless you want to show everyone what the inside of your head looks like."

"Foolish little boy!" Havoc growled, but she didn't move.

"You're exactly why I decided to follow through with this little plan," he said, "I had no idea who we'd be working with, but I knew I couldn't risk leaving Beth with a bunch of sociopaths. I'll do whatever it takes to protect my city and my friends."

"What about family?" Sam asked, quietly, "Jake, Sal and I have done nothing but try to help you!"

He closed his eyes, burying the guilt he felt from doing this to her. "I'm sorry, Sam, I can't take the chance," he said, "We have too much at stake, but I swear that once we win I'll remove those things. After that, you're all free to do whatever you please."

"You said you'd be leaving Beth with us," Jason said, "What exactly are you going to be doing while we're fighting?"

"Glad you asked!" Jake replied, his manic demeanor returning, "While the lot of you are fighting here, Pam and I will be taking a small detour back to Hell. We need any extra edge we can get in this battle."

"So, you'll be running away again while the rest of us fight," Jason said, "Some things never change, do they, Jake?"

"I'm not running," Jake said, stepping down to lock eyes with Jason, "I'm doing what has to be done."

"Funny how much you sound like her right now," Jason said, "I heard her say the same thing more times than I can count."

"I am nothing like her," Jake said.

"Yet you stand here implementing her collars and quoting her," Jason said, "You're more like her than you want to admit. There is one difference, though. She doesn't run from her fights."

"I am not running!" Jake yelled, "You're right, I did run in the past. Is that what you want to hear? I was a coward, especially when it came to her."

"Jake," Beth said, trying to help her friend.

"No," Jake cut her off, "He's right. I ran and abandoned the people I cared about, the people I swore to protect. I let emotions cloud my judgment when it came to Rebecca, and then I let fear blind me to what she was doing. But that was then, and this is now. I'm not running away anymore, I'm standing my ground and I will finish this no matter the cost."

"You're talking about a price that all of us have to pay," Jason said, "While you're off galavanting around, the rest of us will be here risking our lives."

"Jake," Alexis said, "What exactly are you going back to Hell for?"

"I need to see Lilith," he replied, "She's the one who gave Rebecca her powers and turned her into who she is now, and we don't stand a chance unless we're willing to fight fire with fire."

"That's suicide," Alexis said, "You've already brokered one deal with her, and if you go back to her then she might not let you leave!"

"I have to try!" he yelled, "I'm counting on her thirst for revenge to tip the scales in my favor. She's already got my soul, but if she wants her vengeance, she's going to have to provide more than what she's already given."

"Jake, you're talking about dealing with the queen of Hell!" Alexis argued, "Take it from someone who worked down there, she doesn't give a shit about you or any of us!"

"It's not about her caring about our world, it's about her wanting to win," Jake said, "She's more selfish than Rebecca, and she wants to see her suffer more than anyone on this plane. If she wants her revenge, then she'll give us the ace that we need."

Jason growled and pulled his gun. He pointed at Jake's head and glared, "You're the only real bargaining chip that we need, hero. How do I know you're not planning on running and hiding? What's to stop me from just finishing you and shattering what's left of that psycho's mind?"

"Besides the fact that you'd be killing everyone here?" Jake asked, "You could probably shoot me before I push the button here, but if you do this you'll push Rebecca over the edge. You know her, Jason. She's already unhinged, and you know that doing this will only drive her further into madness. I need you to trust me. I know you don't have a reason to, but I'm not trying to save her anymore. The only way we win is if she dies, and the only way that happens is if we work together."

"Jason, stop!" Kait ordered, "I don't like this anymore than you, but the little worm is right! We have to trust his word, even if it goes against everything we believe."

"Stay out of this, Kait!" Jason barked, "I suffered for years because of this moron, and now I'm just supposed to trust his word?! You left me to rot while you ran free! I was nothing more than a cheap pawn for her amusement!"

Jake stepped forward, lowering his hand and removing his thumb from the detonator. He pressed his forehead to the barrel of the gun and relaxed, "I know, and I know I don't deserve anything from you. I let my city down, but I cost you everything. I'm not asking you to do this for me, I'm asking for everyone else here. Please, give them a chance to live in a world without Goth. They don't deserve to be pawns or playthings for her."

Jason's arm shook, but he cooked the hammer and stepped forward. He pressed the barrel of his gun further against Jake's forehead, "If I do this, I do it for them. You're nothing, Jake Blackridge. You're the one who brought her wrath down on all of us because of your own selfishness! I should end you once and for all right now. I should...but I won't."

Jason pushed his gun forward, lowered it, and uncocked it. "Thank you, Jason," Jake said.

"I'm not doing this for you, or even your friends," Jason said, "I'm only doing this because I hate her more than I hate you. Your plan better work, Jake."

Before anyone else could speak, there was an explosion at the entrance to the warehouse. Everyone stood up and turned in the direction of the smoke. The sound of rhythmic footfalls filled the building, and a familiar silhouette could be seen in the smoke as it slowly started to clear. "How good of you all to gather in one place for me," Rebecca's voice echoed out, "It makes it so much easier for me to eliminate my opposition."

"Goth," Beth muttered, "Everyone, get ready!"

"Time is up, Elizabeth," Rebecca said, "Mercy is no longer an option for any of you. Although, if you were to surrender here and now, I could be persuaded to let you live."

"Go to Hell, you ugly whore!" Kait barked.

"Kaitlyn, I was wondering if you were still around," Rebecca said, "I'd thought that you might have run off in the face of glory, but then you never really were that bright. Whichever of you sniveling little worms has sense, I advise that you fall to your knees now and beg me for mercy. Whosoever does this and delivers my Raven to me will be spared, but if you choose to resist me then you will know suffering the likes of which you can only dream of."

"Don't listen to her!" Jake yelled, "There is no mercy with her, only pain."

The smoke cleared and everyone froze when they saw her. She'd changed since he left her. It wasn't her appearance that was different, but there was something in her eyes that gave everyone pause. They glistened in the darkness like those of the demons of Hell. Malice and hate rolled off of her in waves, and her body seemed to radiate power. "Jake, you know it hurts me to hear you speak like that," she said, feigning innocence before giving a devilish smirk, "This time, I'll make sure to carve a permanent reminder of my greatness and your folley in your flesh! You'll live, but you will know the meaning of suffering by the time I'm done with you! The gospel of my greatness will be etched into you, and all will know what happens when you defy me!"

"You're not going to lay a finger on anyone here," he said.

"Is that what you think?" she laughed, "It seems you all need a reminder of just who you're dealing with. Very well, I'm happy to teach you all. Last chance, make the right decision and serve me."

"Fuck you, you wretched whore!" Jason barked, raising his guns.

"Jason, I thought Aurora had dealt with you months ago," Rebecca said, "It would seem that you're stronger than I gave you credit for. Still as foolish as ever, though. You've led these people to their deaths, and I assure you they will not be quick."

"Stand your ground!" Jake yelled, "We're not falling here!"

"It seems you're all bent on destruction," Rebecca said, stepping forward as her hands began to glow, "I suppose I have some time to play. It's been days since I've been able to have some fun, and I have been dying to test out my new power. I will spare three of you to break, but the rest of you will die here. You've followed a fool into the hands of death, and I'm only interested in my former student, her dunce of a pet, and my naughty little Raven. This is a waste of your time, but try to make it interesting. I do love a good show, after all!"
© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032273-Chapter-5