*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032282-Chapter-14
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #2272852
Jake, Beth, and Pam have to band together with old foes to stop the monster they unleashed
#1032282 added May 12, 2022 at 5:13am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 14
Rebecca retreated to the upper quarters of Blackridge Manor. She'd flown through the halls, up the stairs, and into the ballroom like a spirit possessed. She slammed the doors, and erected a barrier to buy herself some time. Alone at last, she put her back against a wall and slid down to a sitting position. She placed a hand on her midsection and cursed Beth and the others below. She'd underestimated her Feral adversary, and the cuts that she'd managed to land had done more damage than she wanted to admit. Between them and the backlash from her own spell, she was more wounded than she would have liked.

"Damn that little wench!" she yelled, channeling some of her power to stop the bleeding, "I should have killed her when I had the chance."

She pushed herself to stand, and walked over to the windows. The last thing she'd expected Jake and Pamela to do was to recruit a horde of demons to their side. She knew they were desperate, but this was unheard of. Jake must have struck another deal with her former master. She doubted that the demons were all that they'd gained, but even if it was, it was enough to buy the insects some time. Those creatures would tear through her forces beyond the walls of the manor, so reinforcements were now officially cut off. Luckily, she'd kept her strongest maidens within the manor just in case the resistance managed to breach her defenses. All was not lost, but the tides had taken a dark turn.

Rebecca watched as one of those winged monstrosities flew by her window. She'd already planned on punishing Jake for his blatant defiance and refusal, but now she was going to double down on that. The demons would wreak havoc on her city, and the damage would only add to her reconstruction efforts. She'd contemplated burning the city before to start anew, but this act had forced her hand. She would reshape it in her image, a perfect and pure bastion for her new world. She would see the traitors hung in the streets by the entrails, and she would make examples of the others who fought against her.

There was some distant part of her that felt worry for Jake. The boy had no idea what sort of dilemma he'd created for himself. Lilith would surely have added another cost for her aid. Desperation gave way to foolishness that would undoubtedly be her beloved's downfall. She would have to work harder to remove that blasted mark, and now she was going to have to find a way to vanquish the demon before she could claim her prize. Closing her eyes, Rebecca stepped away from the windows and back towards the center of the room. She needed to try to recover as much power as she could while she had the chance. There was no telling how long her maidens could hold the others at bay, and she was sure that Jake would try to make it to her first.

"You seem troubled, Rebecca," Dilatrix's voice echoed in her mind, "Are my powers not all that you hoped, or perhaps you're simply not able to wield them properly?"

"Begone from me, you wretched hallucination," Rebecca snapped, "I have no time for games or jokes."

"Oh, but time is something that I have in abundance, dearest woman," Dilatrix laughed, "Who's to say that I am not really here? Maybe I am a manifestation of your failure, maybe I traveled from another time-line to witness your weakness, or maybe you were too weak to fully absorb me. Truly, who can say?"

"I will not be mocked by the image of a sorceress who allowed herself to fall," Rebecca snapped, "My concentration will not be broken!"

"I gave myself over to you because that was meant to be, it had to happen for things to progress as they are," Dilatrix laughed, "But then, you can't see what lies ahead, can you? For all your boasting and power, you can't use my strength beyond a simple void manipulation, can you?"

"I will not fall victim to your meaningless blathering," Rebecca sighed, "Vision or not, you are here to play on my doubt and fear. I refuse to give into that."

"If only you had the hope that you'd instilled in your followers," Dilatrix mocked, "What was it you called it? Ah, that's right, you referred to it as a blessed assurance. Another vagrant lie you told to lead these men and women to their deaths. You have no more control over time than dear Pamela, and she obtained her ability through study and practice. You are a thief, and one that cannot utilize that which you've stolen."

"Enough," Rebecca said, "Begone, spirit, I will not tell you again."

"You cannot kill that which is already dead, girl," Dilatrix said, coldly, "You claim to be eternal, but I transcend life, death, and time. I am in all things, and I have seen what lies ahead for you. I merely wished to relish this moment of weakness for myself. To see you so pathetic and grim, it warms an old heart in ways that words cannot describe."

"If you wish to watch the moment before my triumph, then sit and be silent, spirit," Rebecca seethed, "You are eternal through my being, not your own. I will live on, and you will be little more than a part of me."

"The only thing eternal for you, dear girl, is your suffering," Dilatrix said, "I will go, don't fret about that, but know that your agony is only beginning. You have condemned yourself to fates worse than you can imagine, and throughout your rise, fall, and return, you will be plagued by pain and regret. Know this, Rebecca, you do not have my respect, but you have my sympathy. In time, you may yet have the prior, but only time will tell."

"Silence before I cast you into the void!" Rebecca screamed, "I have no need of your sympathy or respect, spirit! You are the folly of an arrogant sorceress, and you will suffer lest you hold your tongue!"

"We are as one now, Rebecca," Dilatrix said, slowly fading away, "All things must end, and even one on high will fall. Pride goeth before the fall, dear, and that is something you have in abundance. Enjoy your time while it lasts, because the darkness comes for us all sooner or later. I only hope that you embrace it with dignity as I did mine."

Rebecca let out a disgruntled sigh as the room fell silent again. She'd thought that after the ritual that these visions would cease. It wasn't like the ones from before, though. This wasn't another side of herself, but rather the image of Dilatrix herself. The way she spoke and carried herself was all reminiscent of the woman she'd known. It wasn't seeing her that troubled Rebecca, though, it was everything she'd said. It was true that she couldn't utilize Dilatrix's gift of sight, but the old crone knew something that she wasn't saying. What did she mean return? What had the old woman seen?

Collecting herself, she took another deep breath and refocused her efforts into healing. "It doesn't matter," she said to herself, "All that matters is right now."

—---------------------

Jake led the charge up the stairs of his family home. Beth, Pam, and Alexis were close behind, and Jason and Kait were just behind them. Sally, Sam, and Zoey were bringing up the rear. The sounds of demonic growls and howls filled the air, and outside felt somehow worse than ever. Thankfully, Lilith's binding ritual seemed to have worked well enough to keep them from attacking him and the others. That fact did little to erase the sights of bodies being carried or devoured by the demonic horde as they cut through Goth's ranks. The force they'd brought back with them would be enough to keep them from getting overwhelmed by outside threats once they were within the manor.

He kicked the doors open, and frowned at the sight of his old home. The black and white checkered floor and old furnishings were the only thing recognizable. Various instruments for arcane use lined the old shelves. Statues of ravens sat on mantles scattered around, and various torture tools hung from the walls. The cupboards had been painted black, and he could see a large cauldron sitting in the distance. She'd taken his family home and twisted it into a nest for herself. The family portraits had all been taken down, and in their place were paintings of Goth, storms, and even some disturbing artwork of demons in a hellish landscape.

"They've arrived!" a woman screamed, "Mount the defenses, arm yourselves, and stop them at all costs! Bring the three leaders to their knees, but do what you must with the others!"

"Sounds like the welcoming party is on the way," Kait remarked, readying herself, "Jake, find a way to Goth. The rest of us will hold them off."

"I am not leaving you all to fight alone again," Jake said.

"We managed out in the open, we can manage here," Jason said, "We've got a position that we can fortify if needed, and we can hopefully try to bottleneck them."

"I'll keep them safe, Jake," Pam added, "They're not alone anymore, they haven't been since we left. Rebecca is probably waiting for you anyway. Let us handle things down here, and you can deliver the final blow to her."

"We've got this," Beth agreed, "There's nothing they can dish out that we can't handle."

"They're right, birdbrain," Sally said, "You need to focus on dealing with your ex."

"It's alright, Jake," Sam added.

"Alright, fine," Jake sighed, "Just get me to the stairwell, and we can go from there."

Two women appeared in the doorway leading towards the main hall. They held staves with large purple orbs at the top that crackled with arcane energy. Both of them wore much more ornate armor over satin robes, and they both had matching headpieces adorning the tops of their heads. "Looks like we've got our first contestants!" Alexis cheered, bouncing with excitement, "The one on the left has a really sexy murdery look in her eyes! I call dibs on her!"

"You know this isn't a game, right?" Kait asked, "They're not here to fuck us, they're here to kill us."

"Who says they can't do both?" Alexis asked, earning a dumbfounded look from her teammates, "You can fuck somebody to death, I've done it! Also, what's life if not a big game?"

"Okay, well with that philosophical quandary and bit of tmi, I think it best that we shift focus back to the tasks at hand," Pam said, attempting to refocus everyone, "Their weapons are different from what you've seen up until now, everyone. Those staves are channeling conduits and focusing elements. Even if they're novices at magic, those staves will give them a significant boost to their abilities. Be on your guard."

"Look at this, sister," the woman on the left said, stepping forward, "It seems we've been blessed by our Goddess yet again. The heretics are practically begging to be subdued and played with, wouldn't you say?"

"Oh yes, sister, I couldn't agree more!" the one on the right said, her voice much more bubbly than the last, "Even the traitorous disciple has returned to the fold. I thought she was too scared to face justice."

"Okay, this is getting old fast," Kait growled, stepping past Jake and the others, "I'm not about to stand here while you two whores talk shit!"

"Mm, this one is mouthy and disrespectful," the woman on the right said, shifting her staff so that it was in her left hand, "I love breaking rude little toys."

"Screw this!" Kait yelled as she charged towards the pair of them.

"Kait, stop!" Jason shouted, but it was too late.

The one on the right grinned as she tapped the base of her staff on the ground. A series of red bolts flowed across the ground in an arcing pattern as Kait rushed towards her. Kait ignored Jason in favor of focusing on her target. She was midway to her when her body seized up as volts of electricity surged through her. The pain was excruciating, and while it only lasted a few seconds, she was sent flying back towards her group and landed on her back with a thud. "What the hell was that?!" Kait demanded as she slowly got to her feet.

"Ah, the strong and stupid," the girl on the right mocked, "Would you like to try that again, little idiot? Or maybe one of your little comrades wants to play."

"Adelaide, don't hog all the fun," the one on the left chided, "My pets are oh so hungry, and I think there's more than enough to go around!"

"Sorry, Miriam," Adelaide sighed, "I've just been looking forward to this, and toying with a moron is too much fun."

"These bitches are really starting to grate on my nerves," Kait growled before looking at Pam, "Any suggestions?"

Miriam tapped the base of her staff down four times, and serpents began to rise up out of the ground. They writhed and hissed as they climbed out, but they made no move towards everyone. "A conjurer and an evoker," Pam said, "This should be interesting. My suggestion would be to bide your time until there is an opening."

"How very astute, Pamela," Miriam mocked, "Too bad that opportunity won't come!"

Miriam held her staff out and began directing her summoned minions to attack. Adelaide placed her hand over the large orb atop her staff, and sparks flew from it as she moved it in an arc. "They're relying on their staves," Pam remarked, "Kait, Jake, focus on avoiding those nasty little snakes. Sally, Sam, Zoey, I want you three to lay down some suppressing fire to break their concentration. Let's see how well these little witches do under pressure."

"What about me?" Beth asked, summoning her sword and standing at the ready.

"Stay with me," Pam replied, "We'll take the evoker while Alexis moves in to deal with the conjurer since she seems so smitten with her."

"Keep that one on the right alive," Kait said, stepping forward to battle the serpents as they moved closer, "I want to show that little bitch what it means to serve a real woman."

"If that's what you want," Beth said, "Let's do this!"

"Don't waste all of your ammo," Pam quickly added, letting her power flow to her hands, "These two are merely an appetizer for what's to come. We'll need every resource at our disposal for what's to come!"

Pam, Beth, Jake, Kait, and Alexis began their advance while Jason and the others opened fire on Adelaide and Miriam. Miriam held up a hand and laughed as a forcefield rose before then and deflected the bullets, "This is your plan?! I'm amazed that someone so stupid could ever rise to the rank you held, Pamela! Perhaps being with that mongrel you call a pet has affected your judgement!"

"Keep firing!" Pam yelled back at the others while they moved up.

The serpents leapt out of the ground and tried to sink their jagged fangs into the five of them. Their bodies were wide, dark, and longer than they first appeared. Their yellowed teeth flashed as they prepared to pounce onto them. Kait raised her shield and knocked two of them away without breaking her stride, and Jake used one of his batons to knock another off to the side. They dove into the floor and disappeared into it. Beth cut one of them in half, while Alexis danced around two that lunged at her. The ones that drew close to Pam were knocked back by her aura as it leaked out of her alongside her fury.

"Incoming!" Sally yelled as one of the mutated monsters shot out of the ground at them.

A bullet lodged itself in its head and knocked it to the ground just before it could make contact with Sally's flesh. Zoey had quickly disposed of the creature and returned to covering the others, "Divide focus!" she ordered, "Two of us cover, while the other two focus fire on the witches!"

"Oh no you don't!" Adelaide yelled as she began creating a whirlwind of fire, "Let's see how you little insects do against this!"

Pam narrowed her eyes on the small twister that was forming in the center of the room. She held out her hand, and slowly began to clench her fist. The strings of magic that were swirling about slowly bent to her will, and the spell was halted before it began. "Kitten, drive your sword into the barrier!" she ordered.

"On it," Beth replied as she charged ahead and rammed her sword into the forcefield and sliced up.

"No!" Miriam screamed, trying to redirect her minions.

The barrier shattered and fell away, and the five of them moved in to attack. Alexis grinned as she quickly ran around Miriam and tried to sweep her legs, "Playtime!" she exclaimed with glee.

"I'm not going down that easily!" Miriam yelled as she slammed her staff down and sent out a shockwave that forced the five of them back, "We won't be undone by weaklings like you!"

"Take this!" Adelaide yelled as she let out a static charge that coursed through the air and rocketed towards everyone.

Jake, Beth, Kait, and Alexis began convulsing as their bodies were bit with a powerful shock. Pam redirected her own aura to reflect the magic, and she quickly opened a portal that she fell through and disappeared. Jake felt Ashley tugging at the edge of his mind, and he gave himself over to her for a brief time. She pulled him out of his frozen state, and she pushed him closer to Adelaide. The girl was surprised, and she wasn't able to stop him from ripping the staff out of her hands. He snapped it in half in the blink of an eye, and her magic was gone as the light of the orb faded. Pam appeared behind Miriam, and she used her telekinetic powers to pull her staff and snap it as well. Both girls were left defenseless, and the hail of bullets and hissing of the snakes stopped.

Alexis ran forward and tackled Miriam to the ground. She sat on her chest and taunted her, "You're gonna look so cute with my feet in your pretty little mouth! Maybe if you suck my toes really well, I'll even let you get off!"

"Get off me, you insane freak!" Miriam yelled as Alexis slipped her shoe off to reveal a bare and sweaty foot, "Don't you dare-mph!"

"Oh yeah, that's the stuff," Alexis moaned as she forced her foot into Miriam's unwilling mouth, "Mm, it feels so good when they fight back! I might have to keep you once this is all said and done. Would you like that, hmm? You can be my new foot slave!"

Kait, on the other hand, rushed to Adelaide and hit her with a powerful right hook. She planted her boot on her chest and leaned down, "You're coming home with me, once this is over. I'm going to show you the might of a real woman, and you'll learn what it means to serve. Do a good job, and maybe I'll even make you an apprentice."

"Kait, Alexis!" Jason yelled, rejoining the group, "You can have your fun later. We've still got a house full of lunatics to deal with, or have you two forgotten that?"

"Awe, but I wanted to feel her tongue between my toes," Alexis pouted.

"Later," Jason scolded, "We can't afford to stay on one spot. We'll get cornered, and then all of this will have been for nothing."

"Fine," Alexis said as she lifted her foot to knock Miriam out, "I'll be seeing you later, cutie. Dream about me and my sexy feet because they're gonna be part of your new life when you wake up!"

Alexis slammed her foot down and knocked Miriam unconscious while Kait leaned down to hit Adelaide with a quick combo, but not before whispering, "I'll make a proper woman out of you. One that knows respect and the value of discipline."

"Okay, well that was fun and unsettling," Beth sighed as Kait and Alexis stood up, "Glad you two found a way to make an all out assault weird. Unless you two want to carry your new toys with you, I say we move on."

"Always happy to lighten the mood!" Alexis laughed, "I'll come back for Miri later, but I'm definitely keeping her. It's something for me to look forward to!"

"Whatever, just move before-" Jason began just before a loud female voice yelled.

"Ready the first volley! Do not let them past the doors!"

"Son of a bitch," Jason growled, "Blackridge, this is your house, right? Any suggestions to avoid getting caught in the middle of whatever is around the corner?"

"Nowhere that won't make us fish in a barrel," Jake replied.

"What kind of billionaire doesn't have secret passageways in their home?!" Jason asked before sighing, "Damnit, I guess that means we're going into the fray. Pam, any suggestions on getting through this?"

"Stay behind me," Pam said, "I've no way of gauging how powerful the others are, but I can sense at least a dozen beyond the threshold."

"It'll have to do, since someone doesn't plan ahead," Jason said, glancing over at Jake.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize that this war was also an excuse to criticize my house," Jake said.

"Been telling you for years that you needed to put a fake bookshelf or something in," Beth chimed in, "But no, all you need is the entrance to your little lair and a panic room."

"It is something to consider, love," Ashley's voice echoed in his head.

"How did this become about interior decorating?!" Jake demanded, "Aren't we in the middle of a battle?!"

"Would you three shut up?" Pam asked, "Honestly, you're giving me a headache. For once, Jake is right."

"For once?" Jake repeated, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!"

"That you're kind of a dumbass," Beth replied, "I mean, you've even said you've made some pretty bad calls."

"Can we move on, or are we going to sit here and argue before we get murdered by magic?" Kait asked.

"Thank you, Kaitlyn," Pam said, "Finally, someone is showing some sense. Behind me, and spread out when you see an opening to find cover."

Pam held out a hand and summoned a large shield of violet energy. A bubble formed around her and the others as they prepared to push into the next room. They entered the dining room wherein a large table sat with food still sitting half eaten on silver platters. Bottles of wine with glasses and goblets half drank sat beside the plates, but the centerpieces of the table were what caught their eyes. A young man and a young woman laid across the table with their arms and legs bound. Food sat atop their naked bodies, and their eyes were empty and devoid of life. If it weren't for the subtle rise and fall of their chests, they'd have swore they were a couple of corpses.

Flashes of light brought everyone's attention back to the battle at hand. Cones of amber and violet energy shot out towards them, but the missiles were absorbed by Pam's shield. The energy rippled through her shield upon impact. Across the large room, six women stood with their hands glowing and held together. All of then wore the same satin robes and armor as Miriam and Adelaide, but there was one woman standing behind the firing line who had a unique headpiece. A golden demon had with rubies slotted into the eyes sat on her head. The clawed hands of the demon rested beside her eyes as if it were cradling her face. It was clear that she was the leader of the small msquad by the way she carried herself.

"Second volley, unleash!" the woman yelled, "Use everything our Goddess has bestowed to us, and do not forget what I have taught you! Kill the heretics, and bring the Raven back to us!"

"Fuck, that's Magdalene," Jake grumbled, "I don't know much about her, but Rebecca knew her by name and spoke highly of her. I'm guessing she's your replacement, Pam."

"Then I'll show her how serving a liar can limit one's potential," Pam said, continuing to advance, "If this is the best they can muster, then this will be easier than we thought."

"Jay, you have any flashbangs?" Beth asked.

"I do," Jason replied.

"After this next wave, toss them at those bitches," Beth said, "After that, we should be able to move up and take advantage of their blinded state."

"Boring!" Alexis cheered, abandoning their plan and running out from behind Pam while yelling, "Hey idiots, let's see how you do against moving target!"

"She really is fucking crazy, isn't she?" Sally asked.

"Just now figuring that out?" Sam asked, "You're getting slow in your old age."

"Stow it, Sammie," Sally snapped.

"Why am I not surprised?" Pam sighed, "Stick to the plan, and if Alexis gets blinded that's on her."

Three of the casters shifted their focus to Alexis as she zigged and zagged her way around the room. The other three focused their fire on Pam and her barrier. Their hands crackled before another wave of multicolored cones flew from their hands. Alexis cackled as she sprinted around the room; ducking and diving out of the way of the missiles aimed at her. "Insufferable little nuisance," Magdalene growled, "Keep your attention focused on the others! I'll deal with our little renegade."

"Awe, now I feel special!" Alexis laughed as she slid under the table, "Come and get me, broody pants!"

"With pleasure, little girl," Magdalene growled as she stepped out and her hands began to glow, "I'll make you regret returning to our world!"

Magdalene stepped forward and held out her left hand while pulling her right back. A large spectral bow appeared in her left hand, and five arrows materialized along the string. She pulled back and let them fly towards Alexis. The arrows cut through the air while the others fired at Pam and the rest. Alexis was practically giddy with excitement as she backflipped over two arrows, and landed on a chair before stepping onto the back and walking down it. Her grin fell as the arrows hit the wall and richocheted off and towards her. She hit the ground and swore as three of them flew over here. She popped up without wasting a second, and she took off in a sprint to avoid getting pinned down.

The six casters stopped their assault, and prepared for their next attack. Jason quickly pulled two flashbangs from his coat and tossed them at their line. They clattered to the ground and rolled, but one of the women laughed as she held up a hand to lift them and throw them back. "Fuck!" Beth yelled, "Pam, cover your eyes!"

"I see them, Kitten, and that trick won't work twice," Pam said, extending her free hand to wrap the grenades in their own barrier, "Just because you caught me with one almost a year ago, doesn't mean it can happen again. I'm nothing if not adaptable. Kait, Jake, fan out and try not to get shot."

"On it," Jake said as he and Kait took off.

"Dropping the barrier," Pam said, "Girls, lay down some suppressing fire for our friends here."

"With pleasure," Sam said, grabbing the assault rifle off of her back and spraying bullets alongside Sally.

Alexis could feel herself getting flustered and frustrated. She'd barely managed to dodge another volley of Magdeleine's spectral arrows. She'd ran up the side of the wall before kicking off of it to avoid getting shot. She'd dropped into a crouch to avoid the richochet, but she couldn't get close to the supposed captain in charge of the women. Thinking quickly, she snatched a knife from the table and took off running alongside it. She grabbed everything she could get her hands on in preparation for a do or die surprise attack. Apples, turkey legs, cutlery, and anything else that would fit in her arms. Magdeleine chuckled to herself as she cast her bow aside, and she began weaving another spell between her hands. A sputtering and sickening green ray shot from her hands as she tried to get a lead on Alexis.

"Fucking quit it!" Alexis yelled as she sidestepped out of the way of the putrid smelling beam.

"What's wrong, girl?" Magdaleine asked, "I thought you wanted to play!"

"Cocky cunt," Alexis grumbled as she started hurling the food items at her opponent.

Magdalenine used her free hand to redirect the objects with telekinesis. Alexis launched everything she had when an idea hit her. She shifted direction and took off in a dash towards the other women. Whatever that nasty smelling spell was, it probably wasn't capable of killing anyone. At a guess, she thought it might have been some sort of sickness ray. The closer she got to Magdalenine, the worse the smell became. It poured from her hand like a revolting stream of sour liquid, and while Alexis managed to avoid a direct hit, a few droplets hit her in passing. The way her stomach curdled told her that was exactly what the spell was. She felt queezy, but thankfully she didn't feel like she would lose the contents of her stomach.

Alexis dove into a slide as she got close to the other women, and Magdeleine tried to undo her spell as she realized what was happening. Two of the girls were covered in the thick and musty liquid, and they immediately began to convulse before doubling over and vomiting. It was just enough to break the concentration of the other four, and Alexis cackled as she leapt onto one and plunged her fingers into her eyes. The girl screamed as the other two vomited, and Sally and Sam's bullets cut down another two. Jake and Kait took full advantage of the distractions, and the two of then pounced on the the remaining two.

"No!" Magdaleine screamed as she began to retreat into the next room while calling out, "They've breached the second defenses! Do not let them pass further, sisters! We hold them here, we break them, and we put this foolish rebellion to an end once and for all!"

Alexis laughed as she lost herself in the carnage of another kill. Pam led the others to her and put a hand on Alexis' shoulder, "We need to move on, dear. There will be plenty more mayhem to come."

"Now you're talking!" Alexis laughed, "If I'm not mistaken, the next room is the main hall."

"How do you know that?" Beth asked.

"I broke in here a few times to steal some of my Jake's stuff," Alexis replied with a shrug, "His maid and I had an agreement after the fifth time."

"Francisca?!" Jake asked, "Oh for-is that where my boxers and socks kept going?!"

"Oh yeah, baby bird," Alexis sighed dreamily, "I got a whole collection stashed around the city!"

"Why is it that every time we stop, you manage to make shit weird?" Kait asked, "Let's just keep moving."

"Not my fault your a prude Kaity," Alexis replied, "I still have your old boots too."

"Moving on," Jason said, stepping past the others, "I'm guessing this is going to be where the bulk of the resistance is going to be. Knowing Goth, she's going to be upstairs. She's more injured than she wants us to know, and it's a safe bet she's hoping her maidens will be enough to stop us. Blackridge, your goal is to get upstairs and find her. We'll cover you and get you an opening, but it's up to you to get to her and end this."

"I'll take care of it," Jake said, "Pam, can you sense her?"

"Her signature is more demonic than anything now, but I believe Jason is right," Pam replied, "Wherever she is, she's blocking me from finding her exact location. If I had to guess, I'd say she's enacted a barrier to keep anyone and anything out. She's waiting for you, Jake. She's going to try to bring you back under her spell, and if you fail then we all suffer."

"No pressure then," Jake sighed, "I won't give into her, not again."

"For our sake, that better be fucking true," Sally said, reloading her gun, "Don't fuck this one up, bird brain. I hate to say it, but we're counting on you."

"Ugh, I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit," Kait shuddered, "Fighting alongside heroes to save a city I once tried to rule, what has my life come to?"

"It's no picnic for us either," Beth said, "We're fighting side by side with you all, and I'm dating an ex villain. Shit is more different now than it's ever been, but maybe that's not such a bad thing."

"Save the new hope speech for after we've won," Jason said, "There's still a band of magic maidens ahead, and we've still got to bring down a Goddess."

"It ends tonight," Jake said, "We do this together, and then…I don't know what happens next, but one way or another, this nightmare is coming to a close."

"If everyone is done, I think we best be off," Pam said, channeling her power and beginning to glow, "Things are only going to get harder from here. Now is the time to use every trick you have left up your sleeve."

"Let's fuck some shit up," Sam said, slapping another magazine into her assault rifle, "I got a date tomorrow, and I really don't wanna miss it by dying or losing to a sociopath."

"A little presumptious, don't you think, Samantha?" Zoey asked, "I am going to have a lot of work ahead of me after this. Who's to say I'll have time to play with my little pet?"

"I think you'll make time," Sam said, ignoring the outward admission of her feelings for once, "You'll need to blow off some steam after this, and I think we could both use it."

"Jesus, fuck, would you two knock it off?" Sally asked, "About to go into battle, and the two of you are talking about fucking and having a romantic night. Piss on that."

"Glad someone said it," Kait agreed, drawing her weapons, "Let's move before someone else starts getting sentimental."

Kait brandished her sword and spun it a few times. Jason drew a large pistol from his coat and his blade. Sally, Sam, and Zoey checked their weapons. Beth took a deep breath and tapped into her sword's latent power, and Jake drew both of his batons. Pam's body glowed brighter before it split into her various duplicates. Alexis rolled her neck, cracked her knuckles, and let out a small giggle in anticipation. Their group was as ready as they could be to face what resistance was left. Jake, Beth, and Pam led the charge into the main hall, and the others followed quickly behind. Their final confrontation was at hand, and all that stood in their way were the forces waiting in the next room.



© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032282-Chapter-14