*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047390-Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Dark · #2293365
The changing landscape of Metropolis leaves our heroes backed into a corner
#1047390 added April 3, 2023 at 4:46am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4
Jake walked into the doors of his home feeling somewhat refreshed. He'd managed to avoid any paparazzi on his way home, thankfully, and Pam's guided meditation had given him some clarity. It hadn't erased his concerns, but it had alleviated some of the weight he'd been carrying around. She'd shown him a way of tapping into his own mindscape and giving it a metaphysical form. It was strange and difficult, but he'd managed to create something more than a blank and dark canvas. He'd even managed to feel Ashley without being asleep for a change. Pam promised him that she would continue to work with him if he wanted, and Jake had readily agreed to another session.

He hung his coat on the rack and walked into the foyer of his home. "Master, Jake, is that you?" Bruce asked as he walked in drying his hands.

"Yeah, it's me," Jake said as he shook off the cold and stepped forward.

"Good, I thought for a moment that dreadful girl had returned," Bruce said, referring to Ingrid, "How did things go at your meeting, sir?"

Jake shook his head and sighed, "It could have been worse, but it could have been better. The investigation is still underway, and I'm noticing a number of executives have been absent the last few days. I've got some rounds to make later tonight."

"Do you think that you have more trouble within, sir?" Bruce asked.

"Maybe," Jake sighed, "I'll find out tonight when I pay some of these people a visit. I intend to get answers one way or another. I've just got to wait until nightfall to make my move, and it looks like my social life is dead until this Amazon business is concluded."

"You're referring to the interview between Meg Myers and her, correct?" Bruce asked and continued when Jake nodded, "It's slander and lies, sir. That woman has no relation to you or this family. Ms. Samantha may be your half-sister, but I knew your mother personally. That vile beast is a pale shadow of the woman that brought you into this world."

"Are you really so sure, Bruce?" Jake asked, his doubt resurfacing, "She knows more about me than any other villain in this city, and she knew my father as well. Some of the things she knows, I don't know how else she could know it unless she was my mother."

"Your mother was a kind, caring, and devoted woman, Master Jake," Bruce said adamantly, "Your true mother, Margaret Blackridge, is where you get your sense of justice and truth from. Your father was a man of integrity, but your mother was the paramount of righteousness without the addition of arrogance. I still remember when they brought you home, and I held you in my arms for the first time. God rest that woman's blessed soul."

"Then why don't we have any photos of her?" Jake asked, still unsure what to believe.

"When your mother passed, your father requested that her portraits be taken down," Bruce explained, gesturing for Jake to follow him into the dining room, "He was stricken with grief at her untimely passing, and he was afraid she wouldn't approve the man he might become without her around. There was some merrit to his concern, Ms. Samantha's conception being a key example, but your father eventually returned to his roots. Her pictures and portraits are tucked away in a storage facility that I have the key to, Master Jake. If you're truly this uncertain about these claims, I'll retrieve them this weekend."

"You'd be willing to do that for me?" Jake asked.

"Of course, sir, it would be my pleasure," Bruce replied, "I haven't gazed upon those pictures in some time, and my memories are all that I've had for years now. I fear they may begin to fade, and perhaps it is time to remind myself of the family I've so proudly served for the last thirty years. For now, though, I've prepared a meal for you to enjoy before heading out for your nightly activities. Do try to put these meddlesome concerns out of your head for the evening. This city needs The Raven, and it cannot afford for you to be distracted by cumbersome worries and malnourishment."

"Alright, thanks, Bruce," Jake sighed, feeling a little more relieved as he sat down to eat.

Jake sat and ate the chicken and vegetables that Bruce had prepared for him. He wired Ingrid the money for her work while he ate, and planned his nightly activities. It was easier said than done for him to not worry about the claims being made by the media and Meg Myers, but he had tried his best not to dwell. There was no point in stressing over something he couldn't control. Despite the fact that these allegations would most certainly make his life more difficult going forward. There was still so much that he needed to do, and he didn't have time to focus on what ifs. He still had a job to do, and he would carve a path forward no matter the cost or trials.

When he finished eating, the sun was just beginning to set. Jake would leave within the hour to pay some of his board members a personal visit. Some of the ones who'd been absent lately had been members of the Brunswick Company. Up until recently, none of them had been a problem. After Courtney's appearance, they'd slowly started to become more quiet and distant. Most of them had been over government contracts involving repurposing old projects from Emily's company. After pulling the files, Jake learned that several projects were either off the books, or utterly unfulfilled. Truthfully, it had him worried that Andrew was merely a pawn in a much larger scheme.

He switched the television on for noise while he waited and collected his equipment. Channel Seven News was on, and Jake instantly regretted turning it on. Meg Myers was being interviewed by Chelsea Stevens, the anchorperson for the evening news. "Ms. Myers, I understand you're taking issue with the recent arrest of Claudia Sinclair," Chelsea said, "Would you care to voice your concerns for our viewers?"

"Absolutely, Chelsea," Meg said as she composed herself and fixed her pristine white blazer, "I want to make this abundantly clear first, I am glad that menace is off the streets. However, the MPD's continued dependence on the vigilante element is, quite frankly, appalling. It shows an utter lack of coordination on the part of our men and women in blue, and they are continuing to encourage people who act outside of the law. I ask you, Chelsea, how far is too far? We have children who idolize these individuals, and what message are we sending them?"

"I see," Chelsea said as she shuffled her papers, "Some would argue that the presence of these heroes has been a determent for the criminal element within the city."

"Others would say they've encouraged criminals to get bolder and more vicious," Meg countered, "The use of force by the likes of The Feral and The Raven has been increasingly atrocious, and criminals have been beginning to adapt to their new methods. Courtney Tellar, who I will add is still yet to be booked for processing, is just the most recent example. I paid a visit to Ms. Sinclair recently after my interview with Jake Blackridge's estranged mother, and the wounds she received go far beyond what could be considered appropriate. A gunshot from point blank range was fired upon her, after she was subdued. The Feral uses unlicensed firearms, and has been utilizing experimental rounds that are not available to the public, let alone our police force. I'll ask you this, would you be okay with any other citizen having access to such an arsenal?"

"Well, of course not, but Claudia Sinclair was holding several innocents hostage with armed explosives," Chelsea replied, "I'm not saying that the use of extreme force was necessary, but the fact is, none of us were there."

"And that is precisely my point!" Meg exclaimed, slapping her hand down on the desk, "Why weren't the police more directly involved? Why is it that Commissioner Brown is so opposed to allowing her people to do their jobs? I've spoken with a number of members of the MPD, and many of them agree that she is too trusting of these renegade individuals. Even if we overlook The Feral and her brutality, there's still the manner of The Raven to address. This is an individual who was reportedly seen in Citiville acting as an enforcer for the queenpin of that city last year. The same man is now running around our city and beating misguided people, breaking bones, and, in extreme cases, putting people into comas. Why are we applauding this sort of behavior from someone who worked with the Goth Goddess during her reign of terror?"

"Ms. Myers, The Raven was also seen at the site of Goth's demise, and has been confirmed to be the one responsible for her final departure from our world," Chelsea said, "You're an advocate for change and reform, so are you telling us that you don't believe this young man could have made a change for the better?"

"You're missing my point, Chelsea," Meg sighed, "I'm not saying that he hasn't had a change of heart, or that he's beyond saving. What I'm saying is that we are trusting our safety, and the safety of this wonderful city, to a man who hides behind a mask. The very same mask he wore while serving a ruthless, merciless, and nearly demonic madwoman. One good deed doesn't undo, or make up for, the pain that these so-called heroes have inflicted. My platform is based on reform, and that is exactly why I plan on installing the proper measures to boost our men and women in the MPD while limiting vigilante interference. These masks are a cancer in this city, and they are crippling good people while simultaneously raising criminals to new heights. Between their rampant acts, and people like Jake Blackridge's neglect, this city is drowning in a sea of regret and suffering! I, for one, will no longer turn a blind eye to these actions, and I'm counting on the good people to do the same. We are overdue for a change, and I swear that I will use every resource at my disposal to bring about a rebirth into this marvelous city!"

"Strong words, Ms. Myers," Chelsea said with a nod before Jake shut the television off.

"Un-fucking-believable," Jake scoffed as he stood up, "Now she's calling into question my past, my alleged family-ties, and my methods. Who the hell is this woman, and why is she out for so much blood?!"

"I don't know, but she's on you and Beth like a vulture," Ashley sighed from behind him, "Let's hope your little crush can dig up something that we can use against her. I don't imagine Beth will be happy when she sees this. Why not turn Alexis loose on her? I'm certain she's furious about what this woman is spewing, and she'd be more than happy to dispose of her without hesitation."

"No, I'm not resorting to that," Jake sighed as he grabbed his suit and started to change, "Nevermind the fact that it would probably blow up in my face, I don't trust this woman. There's more going on here than meets the eye, and Alexis could end up getting hurt if she charged in blindly. Until I know more, none of us need to move against her. She's playing on doubt and fear that Courtney raised, but that's not enough to justify us going after her. I've got other things I need to worry about right now."

His phone buzzed, and he checked it to see a message from Ingrid, "Caught the news just now…that chick has a serious hate-on for you all around. Almost makes me feel bad for you… almost. If your life goes down the toilet, I can always use a personal chair and foot scrubber, just saying."

Jake rolled his eyes and glared at his phone. He could practically hear the snarky tone in her message. He typed back a quick response, "Thanks, but I'll take my chances. Just get to work and send anything you find to my email."

His phone buzzed again instantly, "Your loss, dude, and don't rush perfection. You'll get your info, but learn to chill."

"That girl is insufferable," Ashley huffed.

"She's a lot, and that's putting it mildly," Jake agreed as he set his phone down and changed, "I know shit is bad if she's even joking about feeling sorry for me, though. I need to figure out what's going on in my company first, though, before things get worse. The last thing I need is someone doing something malicious or illegal that's on my board. It's close enough to night, and I'll start making my rounds before turning in for the night."

"Are you certain you shouldn't be focusing on this imposter, Jake?" Ashley asked as he prepared to leave, "The election is in less than two days now, and if she wins, our lives could become much more difficult. Your suspicions are valid, and I also believe that there's more happening than we know. You need to choose your targets carefully now, my love. One misstep could cost us more than you know."

"She's still just one woman, Ash," Jake sighed, "No powers, just a ton of hate for me on the whole. I'll deal with her when the time comes, but now I need to focus on the more immediate threat. There's a lot of things that we're leftover from the Brunswick takeover that are dangerous in the wrong hands, and I can't afford to let any of those items slip through the cracks. I need to have a chat with my board members, and since they don't want to come to work, they're going to talk to The Raven."

"I've got a bad feeling about this," Ashley sighed, "However, there's no talking you out of this, I can see that. Just try to be careful tonight, Jake."

"I'll watch myself out there," he said as he put his cowl on and headed downstairs to get his bike.

—-----------------------

Jake had parked his bike under an old overpass in the upper Westside of Metropolis. He left it in favor of finding higher ground to survey his next target. He'd left the manor three hours ago, and he'd already been to three of the missing executives' homes. One of them had been sick with a new strain of flu, another had taken a vacation out of the country, and the last one he'd found dead in her apartment. A suicide note had been left proclaiming that she couldn't live with the guilt of everything she'd done. Jake had searched her apartment for any clues, but he'd come up with nothing of use. He dreaded the idea of word getting out to the media, but he couldn't cover up her death. So, he'd called Zoey to have her come and investigate the scene.

So far, all of his leads and suspicions had come up empty, but he wasn't ready to give up yet. This was his last stop, and Jake had saved his biggest suspect for last. Anthony Simmons had been the head over Emily's board of directors, and he'd come into the Blackridge fold shortly after the merger. However, he'd demanded a level of autonomy that Jake had been too young to understand. As time had gone on, though, Jake realized the mistake he'd made. Anthony was able to pick and choose which projects he oversaw, and he stalled developments of new ideas, and was easily the most disrespectful to Jake. However, his numbers and production spoke for themselves, and Jake had refrained from firing the man because of it.

Anthony lived in a penthouse on the top floor of The Ritz Metro, and Jake sat on the rooftop across from the hotel watching through his binoculars. Anthony was indeed home, and he was wearing a bathrobe while carrying a glass of brandy. He'd gone to the kitchen to retrieve said glass, and he'd been sitting at his table reviewing different screens. Jake put his binoculars away, and grabbed one of his new birdarangs from his utility belt. He flipped a switch on it and his bracer before flinging it across the street. His bracer connected to it, and he guided it across the street to the top floor of The Ritz. The process went smoother than he expected, and Jake took control of the small bladed weapon. He steered it around to the backside of the penthouse, and he could see everything from his small wrist camera. It attached itself to a breaker box near the back window, and Jake pressed a button to send an electromagnetic pulse from the birdarang. Instantly, the power to Anthony's apartment went out, and Jake readied himself for his next move.

Jake grabbed his grappling gun and leapt from his perch. He soared through the air for a moment, his cape opening to catch the updraft from the city below. He fired his grappling gun upward at the balcony of the penthouse as he drew closer, and he silently hauled himself up onto the ledge. Jake crouched down as he made his way into Anthony's apartment. The well-furnished penthouse was covered in pieces of art, relics, and expensive furniture from various different cultures. Jake's night vision automatically switched on as he skulked into the darkness. Anthony still sat at the table, unmoving and seemingly unafraid.

He took a sip from his glass and spoke without turning around, "You can come out of the shadows, Raven, I know you're there. I was wondering when you'd be stopping by. Tell me, did you like my little gift in Mika's apartment?"

Jake slowly stood up and glared at the cold man. His tone was almost unnerving and had a hint of mirth to it that grated on Jake's nerves. "That was you?" Jake asked, his tone low and menacing, "You killed Mika?!"

"Come now, young man," Anthony said with a chuckle as he shifted in his chair, "Don't act so surprised, this is business, after all. Mika was growing weak in our endeavors, and she was contemplating coming to you with a confession. I can't simply let years of work be undone by someone without a spine. Why don't you have a seat? We can discuss the future of this city, and the fate of your company, Mr. Blackridge."

Jake's eyes widened behind his cowl. How did he know who he was? It didn't matter, and maybe he was bluffing. Jake growled as he rushed forward and grabbed Anthony by the back of his robe. He threw him to the ground, and stepped towards him. "You're a monster," Jake growled as he walked forward, "The only thing we're going to talk about, is your involvement in illegal activities at Blackridge Inc.!"

Anthony chuckled as he pushed himself into a sitting position, "Oh, Mr. Blackridge, you're still such a naive little child. You're worse than your father. You can drop the act, boy, I know it's you behind that mask."

Jake took another step forward and bent down to deliver a vicious punch to Anthony's jaw, "That's enough! I want answers, and I want them now! What the hell have you been doing with Blackridge funds!"

Anthony's smile never faded as he wiped some blood from his chin and laughed, "Whatever I damn well please, boy. My contract is resolute, and your signature is on it for approval. I must say, Ms. Tellar was a resounding success of an experiment. Such a sweet girl, and incredibly easy to manipulate. Goth's collars were a true work of art, but they were also a remarkable motivator."

"You did that to her?!" Jake demanded, his anger beginning to get the better of him, "You bastard, she was innocent!"

"Jake, get a hold of yourself!" Ashley warned from the back of his mind as Jake threw another harsh fist into Anthony's stomach before hauling him to his feet.

"Nobody is truly innocent, boy," Anthony countered as he wheezed and struggled to catch his breath, "Not you, not I, and certainly nobody in this city. You hide behind that mask trying to make a difference, but all you've done is push more people into insanity and suffering! I face my crimes and transgressions without fear, can you say the same, boy?"

"Shut up!" Jake growled as he grabbed Anthony by the collar of his robe with both hands and lifted him into the air, "Tell me what you're planning, or so help me, I'll break every bone in your scumbag body!"

"You are so blind to what's happening around you, it's not even funny," Anthony chuckled with a sadistic grin, "Are your threats supposed to scare me? You broke into my home, and are acting without warrant or probable cause. I've done nothing wrong, little bird."

"I know you're up to something!" Jake barked as he slammed Anthonu down onto the table with brute strength, "Talk. Now!"

"Whatever you hoped to find, is long gone by now, child," Anthony winced before speaking in Latin, "Vivere…in…tenebris, boy. You've already lost, and there's nothing you can do stop what's coming!"

Jake was about to issue a swift and merciless beating when Ashley stopped him, "Jake, he's recording you! There's no telling what he can do with this footage, and I doubt killing the cameras would do any good!"

Jake looked over his shoulder to see the red light shining through the darkness. Anthony chuckled as he glared up at Jake, "Did you really think that my security system was connected to the building power? Give the camera a smile, dear boy, you're on candid camera! Any other threats or beatings you want to hurl my way?!"

Jake's fist shook as he choked down the urge to break Anthony's arm. He growled as he pulled away and made for the window, "This isn't over, I swear!"

"Oh, I'm sure," Anthony cackled as Jake ran for the balcony and jumped, "You don't know the half of it, boy! You're time in this city is running out, and I'll see you and that suit behind bars before it's all said and done!"

Jake heard Anthony's hateful exclamation and laughter as the cold winter air whipped against his face. He'd been careless, but now he knew someone on his board was indeed a threat. He didn't know how he knew who he was, but it didn't sit well with him. Jake would have to be on his guard going forward, but at least he'd managed to find some sort of direction on the corruption in his company. He'd have to deal with whatever fallout was coming later. Right now, he needed to get home and try to plan his next move.

—--------------------------

Jake parked his bike in the Birdcage, and practically threw his helmet into the ravine below. He'd been careless and overconfident with his tech, and now he was on camera assaulting a ruthless member of his own board of directors. Anthony had been one step ahead of him, and Jake had taken his bait like a fool. "Beth is gonna kill me when she finds out," he sighed, thinking about what his friend would say when she learned of his mistake.

"What's done is done," Ashley said, appearing behind him and following as he stalked into his base, "You should have sent her to deal with him, but there was no way of knowing that he'd be so clever. Mistakes happen, Jake, but they don't define who we are. What matters is how we react and handle a misstep."

Jake shook his head as he continued toward the computer, "That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that I've already got a target on my back. If Anthony uses that footage, then it could be game over for me. Not to mention that he knew who I was. That alone is troubling enough without this whole Meg Myers bullshit happening around me. Something doesn't feel right here, and I intend to find out what. Do you have any idea what he was saying there at the end?"

"He was speaking Latin," Ashley replied, "Live in Darkness, I believe is what he was saying. It's an odd phrase to use, let alone memorize."

"Does it sound familiar?" Jake asked, "Any old groups that might have used that phrase, or does it have a meaning from your time?"

"Not that I can recall off the top of my head," Ashley sighed, "There were a number of secret societies, coups, and mystic groups from my time, though. With just that to go on, I'm afraid I don't have a concrete guess."

Jake nodded and walked past his computer. He could look into the phrase and history later. Right now, he had one last idea and avenue to explore for answers. He marched deeper into the bowels of the Birdcage until he came to Courtney's holding cell. He hadn't spoken to her in over a week, but she'd been watching him closely every time he passed by. "Jake," Courtney purred from the shadows, "Has my little failure of a hero finally decided he's had enough? Have you come to your senses and realized that your life is too sad and pathetic?"

He frowned as he flipped the switch and illuminated her holding cell. Courtney slammed herself against the glass with a wicked grin and a rabid hunger in her eyes. Jake stared her down without fear, "Cut the shit, Courtney, I need answers."

"The great detective is stumped, why am I not surprised?" Courtney scoffed, pushing herself away from the glass and shaking her head, "Why would I be bothered to help you, Jake? After what you did to me, not to mention throwing me in this cell, I've got no interest in aiding you and your little fantasies."

"It's about what happened to you," Jake clarified, "I need to know who told you to go down to R&D. That area was sealed off, and was under a need to know basis. You wouldn't have known about it unless someone tipped you off, and you'd need top credentials to get in. Who told you to check there, and who gave you their card?"

"Pfft, nearly two months since I come back, and you're just not asking these questions," Courtney scoffed with an eye roll, "This is exactly why I said people give you too much credit, bird brain. You're incapable of seeing the big picture."

"Answer my questions, Courtney," Jake said sternly, "I'm not in the mood for games."

"And I'm not in the mood to be trapped here," Courtney snarled as she stomped over to her bed and sat down, "Too bad we can't always get what we want, eh?"

"I could make your stay here much worse, Courtney," Jake threatened.

"You've already got me on a pathetic diet," she countered, "The raw flesh of animals is a poor substitute for human flesh. I may as well be a damn vegetarian!"

"How about nothing then?" Jake asked.

"Empty threats," Courtney scoffed, calling his bluff, "Your greatest fault and weakness is your bleeding heart. You're too weak to let me die here. Now, if Beth were here, maybe I'd believe it."

"Courtney, listen to me," Jake sighed, "Somebody is pulling strings around here, and you've been used as a pawn in a much larger game. Your life was lost because it benefited someone else. Help me make them pay."

"My life was lost because of you and your selfish choices!" Courtney growled, "You think that I didn't know that I was taking a risk?! You think that I didn't know that bastard was hoping I'd get myself killed?! I was naive back then, yes, but I wasn't an idiot! Unlike you, Jake, I was willing to risk everything if it meant making a difference!"

She was getting volatile and angry. The parasites were still affecting her, but it made her easier to manipulate. Courtney was close to spilling a secret, and Jake just needed to push her a little more. "I made a choice that I thought would keep everyone, you included, safe!" he snapped at her, slamming his fist against the glass, "The deal I made was supposed to keep Goth out of Metropolis!"

"Oh, I'm sure that was your only motivation," Courtney sneered, "It had nothing to do with you getting your kicks with your psychotic girlfriend. You were spineless, weak, and entirely self-centered! Your entire damn board was willing to bow before that blonde bitch when she came in, and so of course I took the word of someone willing to go against Goth!"

"Who was it?!" Jake demanded, "I need a name!"

"Wouldn't you like to know," Courtney said, her demeanor shifting back to demented and collected, "You almost had me there for a moment. I'm sure you've got your guesses, but I'm not giving you anything, Jake."

Jake let out a disgruntled sigh as he turned around, "Whatever, you probably didn't even get the person's name. You were always quick to act without thinking."

Courtney's eye twitched at Jake's jab, "Oh, I got his name, Jake."

"Whatever you say, Courtney," Jake waved her off, "I'm not going to waste time playing games with you."

"Hmph, I'm going to enjoy watching you get dragged into the light, Jake," Courtney chuckled, "Everything you've done, you've done in the dark and in secret. Your time is running out, little bird. Tick tock, tick tock, down goes your clock. You may not be in the mood for games, but that doesn't mean you're not part of one! Your time is running out, Jake. Tick tock, tick tock!"

Jake shut the light off and listened to Courtney cackle as he walked away. She knew more than she was saying, but all this night had done was raise more concerns than anything. He'd started this night in search of answers, and he'd ended with more questions. He needed to figure out what was happening and fast. Courtney could have been trying to prey on his fears, but he couldn't afford to take that chance. It was going to be another long and sleepless night for him. He sighed as he sat down at his computer and opened up multiple windows to begin multiple searches through his company database and on the Latin phrase Anthony had said.
—----------------------------

Sam whimpered as fresh tears rolled down her cheek and mixed with dried blood. Her face, body, and head were aching. She hadn't been allowed to move from from the chair in Meg's room, and the woman had been torturing her every second that they were alone together. When she left, Meg would drag Sam's chair into her closet and lock her in the dark. There were no windows in the bedroom, and Meg didn't keep a clock in her room either. Sam didn't have a clue how long she'd been here, but she desperately wanted out. She'd been beaten, abused, and manipulated by the woman's strange ability to shift into people she knew. Jake, Beth, Pam, Sally, Goth, and even Zoey had all taken turns torturing and taunting her. She wasn't sure how much more she could take.

Then there was the other woman. Sam had yet to see her face without her mask, but she was almost more terrifying than Meg. She wore a full red and black body suit that looked like it was something out of a science-fiction movie. A strange mix of armor and tech that Sam didn't fully understand, but she had powers the likes of which she'd never seen. Seconds felt like an eternity with her, and she'd been taken to strange places that rattled her to her very core. When she spoke, her voice had an absolution about it that was even darker and more menacing than Meg's sadistic tone.

Currently, Sam was facing the red woman and her hard fists. The woman was massive, standing easily over six and half feet tall, and she'd spent the last hour beating and stomping Sam until she was sure she had a concusion. "You've been busy," Meg's voice said as she walked into the room, "I do hope you haven't broken our little plaything too much. We still need her alive until my plans are finalized."

"She's still breathing," the red woman replied as she relaxed and stepped back, "I saw your little interview on channel seven. Quite the little speech you gave, sister. It was almost inspiring."

"Don't be snide with me," Meg snapped as she hung her blazer up on the rack, "I'm doing what I have to in order for us to move into the next phase. The simple people of this city cling to symbols, and if I have to become one, then so be it. I'll do whatever is necessary to take back what's mine, and to ensure our prosperity going forward. Or, have you decided that you don't want to be a part of a legacy?"

The woman in red huffed as she stepped back, "A little high strung tonight, sister? Maybe you should relieve some stress with our guest."

"N-no, please," Sam weakly begged.

"Silence, girl!" the red woman barked.

"That's enough," Meg sighed as she walked closer, "Go, sister, and occupy yourself elsewhere for a time. I need to speak with sweet Samantha alone."

"Hmph, if that's the way you want it, fine," the red woman snarled as she waved her hand through the air.

Sam watched as the air seemed to ripple and shift around her hand. She'd seen this before when she'd been taken to a world of nightmares, and it was just as harrowing to watch now as it had been the first time. A hole formed in the fabric of space and time, and it grew exponentially by the second. Sam could feel a cold wind blow from what she could only assume was a portal of some kind. The woman in red stepped through it and it closed behind her. Sam shook with fear as she watched it shut. "W-what are you people?" she asked.

Meg smiled as she walked around Sam and replied, "I suppose that's a fair question. In a way, you could consider the two us the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. My, doesn't that sound cryptic and archaic? There's truth within such poetry, though, wouldn't you agree, Samantha?"

Sam swallowed as she tried to watch the monster stalking her. It was somehow worse when she was being friendly. That usually meant things were going to get worse quickly. "Please," Sam whimpered, "Please, just let me go home. I won't say a word about you or your sister, just let me go."

"I'm afraid that's not an option for you, Samantha," Meg said as pulled a chair around to sit in front of her, "It's not a matter of trust, or you knowing too much, though. No, you're a lying piece of gutter-trash, you see, and nobody would believe you. However, even someone as filthy as you has some value, and I intend to exploit every ounce of it from you. I'll bleed you dry, little girl, and then maybe I'll consider sending you on your way. Your ties to the Commissioner will prove invaluable soon, and you've yet to tell me about your brother. I want everything you have, and you're going to give it to me. Your time here won't be pleasant, I won't lie to you, but the level of agony you experience is up to you. I-"

Meg's phone rang and she sighed as she took it out of her pocket. "Please, I-," Sam started before she was silenced by the back of Meg's hand.

"Quiet!" Meg barked as she answered the phone, "No, not you, you blithering fool. I was speaking to my rude guest. This had better be good, because I was in the middle of training a maggot on how to behave. Unless you want to take her place, you better have a good reason for disturbing me."

Amelia hesitated on the other line for a second before apologizing and replying, "Forgive me, ma'am, I wouldn't bother you unless I had an update for you. Your requested guest should be arriving tomorrow morning at the designated drop-off location. I also received an interesting video from one of your operatives, and I thought you might like to know that The Raven paid him a personal visit. It's nothing to be concerned about, and I believe it'll help you in your plan."

Meg's demeanor shifted to pleased as she spoke with a sly smile, "Excellent, I'm glad to know you can follow orders. You're forgiven for disturbing me. It's been a rather stressful day, and I may have been a little harsh. Keep this line open, and be ready for my phone call. If all this goes accordingly, then you should have a promotion coming your way soon enough."

"Yes, ma'am, I'll be ready for your call," Amelia said just before Meg hung up the phone.

"Your brother is quite the little fool," Meg chuckled as she tossed her phone to the side, "Accosting one of his own without thinking to check defenses and security. He's either dumber than I expected, or he's getting careless and desperate. Now, where were we?"

"At least tell me what you're planning, lady," Sam said, "I don't know what you are, but you're definitely not human."

"Now that's just rude," Meg huffed as she leaned in close, "It's not that I'm not human, Samantha, it's that I'm more than human. Both my sister and I have evolved beyond you and the other simpletons of this world, and we've been waiting patiently for a long time to advance further. Goth was a marvelous distraction, and her ideas turned out to be quite beneficial to my research. Between her reign of terror, and the nudge from young Courtney, this city is ready to accept whatever hope someone is selling. I've promised change and reform to this city, and I haven't lied about that. I intend to make some rather big changes, but I expect there will be resistance before its all said and done. Viivere…in…tenebris, dear girl. The Children are sleeping now, but soon they will awaken. When the time comes, this city will bow before the birth of a new age, and I will be the tip of the spear ushering in a new order."

"You're insane," Sam said before whimpering again as she received another vicious blow.

"We're going to have to do something about that attitude, Samantha," Meg said as her skin crawled and she shifted into Zoey once again, "Your mistress doesn't care for that tone, and bad girls will be punished. I think we should take things up a few notches before your photo shoot."

The monster in her girlfriend's skin walked over to the closet and grabbed a strange looking whip. A flip of a switch, and it began to crack with electricity. "N-no, please!" Sam screamed as Meg gave it a few test swings, "Please!"

"Now, now, this is for your own good, Samantha," Meg chided with a wicked grin as she stepped forward and issued the first of many painful lashes to come.


© Copyright 2023 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047390-Chapter-4