*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052783-I-need-my-space
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #2289848
Contest entries
#1052783 added July 29, 2023 at 1:28am
Restrictions: None
I need my space
A week before their wedding, Jen and Ben were walking in a park enjoying the spring evening.


"I am not able to get used to the idea Ben," said Jennifer.

"Which idea, darling?"

"The idea of living with your mom and sisters under the same roof after our marriage," she said twirling her engagement ring.

"You know them since we were kids," Ben said, in a cajoling tone.

"I know they are nice people. However, it gives me jitters imagining actually living with them, day in and day out."

Ben smiled, saying softly, "think of the fun and friendship that come along with a joint family, Jen."

"I doubt if I can change my habits for others' sake Ben," she said with her eyes looking like stormy skies.

"What kind of changes dear?"

"Even simple changes like waking up to breakfast by 8 in the morning, and I rise after 9 am."

"Nothing wrong in getting used to good habits."

"Even so, I need my freedom. I need my privacy. I don't want repercussions of my inability to adapt to the needs and obligations of living in a joint family."

"A few adjustments do not curtail your freedom. Do they?"

"Well, I have my apprehensions."

"What about my mother and sisters? They are dependent on me."

"But your sisters are educated. They can get jobs as per their qualifications. Leading an independent life teaches them to be self contained. Mom can share her stay at both places. You see we can support each other during good and challenging times."

"Looks like a great idea, Jen, as we live in the same town," said Ben with a smile. "let's talk it over with my mom and sisters."

"I'm sure they will see the light of logic in my opinions. Thanks for understanding, Ben. It did save our marriage from falling apart."


Dropnote July, 2023





© Copyright 2023 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052783-I-need-my-space