*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058469-Night-Falls
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #2307137
A hamlet in a remote region of its island country experiences the effects of the Rapture.
#1058469 added November 1, 2023 at 11:01pm
Restrictions: None
Night Falls
WOW! That preacher really is an odd duck, Bud thought. I'm glad I don't have to talk with him every day. Weird beliefs aren't illegal, but maybe I should talk with my children about him all the same.

The rest of his shift was rather nondescript, but he couldn't shake the feeling, that something was either really wrong in his life at the moment or was about to be really wrong very soon. You let that preacher man rattle you too much, Bud, Old Boy, he thought. He's just a superstitious, religious nut. I can't help him much, but I do wish we had a psychiatrist on the island.

George Board and Stan Book showed up precisely at 4:45 pm, ready to take over from the Chief.

"Anything to report, Chief?" George asked.

"Not much really," Bud said with a deadpan look on his face, but his eyes lightened as he looked at Stan. "What's with your brother, Stan? He was in here just before noon, grilling me like a defendant in a murder case."

"Tried to 'get you saved,' again, did he?" Stan smirked.

"Yeah. As a matter of fact, he did," Bud said. "I don't get it. Do I look like a bad guy? I'm just as moral as the next guy. What do I have to do to get him off my back?"

"Probably what I do," Stan said. "When he waxes eloquent with me on the front porch after a family meal, I say something like, 'Jim, I'm glad you care so much about me, but I've got this.' That usually stops him up short. He says, 'I'm praying for you, Stan,' then he turns, and goes off to find another 'victim.'"

"Is he okay?" Bud asked. "I've wanted so often to refer him to a psychiatrist, but there's nobody on the island like that."

"He's been like that all our lives, from childhood on," Stan assured him. "He 'got saved' as a young child, and has been on this religious kick ever since. We used to think it was just a phase he was going through, but he refuses to change to this very day."

"Okay for now, but keep an eye on him," Bud urged.

"I always do, Chief. I always do."

"Then, I guess I'll get off the clock, and go home for supper," Bud said. "I wonder what the kids will say about the preacher."

"They probably like him," Stan said. "I've never met a child in this town, that had anything bad to say about the preacher."

"He doesn't have a wife," the Chief stated. "You don't think he has any dark motives toward the children, do you?"

"I don't get that vibe, Chief," Stan said. "I know my brother. He's very religious, but I've never seen him try to touch the first child in an inappropriate way. I've watched him for a long time. I would know."

"I'll take your word for it for now," Bud said. "Keep me posted. As for evening items on the schedule, I have none, but the play starts at the high school on Thursday evening. One of you should plan to go and keep an eye on things."

"I'd love to go," Stan responded, "unless you want to, George."

"Naw, I'm good," George said, "'Night, Chief."

"'Night, George. 'Night, Stan."

"'Night, Chief," Stan said.

The chief turned on a dime and was out the door in a moment.

During the short drive home, Bud's eyes glazed over. I'd do something about that preacher if I could, but my hands are tied. I have no legal recourse.

The cloud of yumminess nearly knocked Bud over as he walked through the front door. "Is my beautiful lady cooking fried chicken?" he called out. "That's my favorite."

"I am, indeed, and yes. I know," said Cynthia, the snow lady, who was up to her elbows in flour, making biscuits to accent the chicken.

"You are the queen of my heart," Bud said, "You know that, right?" He leaned in to give her a big kiss.

"Not while I'm cooking," she said, placing a forceful hand in the middle of his chest. "Now, go throw that uniform into the wash, before one of the other officers wants to investigate that lily-white piece of evidence over your heart."

"Yes, Ma'am," Bud saluted, "I'm on it."

In ten minutes flat, Bud had dressed down to a comfortable pair of blue jeans, a t-shirt, and slippers. Back in the kitchen, he asked, "Now, about that kiss."

"I think I can spare the time," Cynthia smiled.

Time stood still in the joyful, big kiss, until, "EWWW!" cried Jeff and Rolly in unison. "Get a room, will ya?"

"The house is my room, young men," Bud said with a sidelong glance. "And I married your mom all right and proper. Y'unnerstand?"

"Well, sure," Jeff squeezed out of wrinkled lips, "but do you have to slobber in the kitchen? I need to eat soon."

"Guess we gotta stop, Cynthia. One of those long-ago kisses is hungry."

"EWWW! Are you serious?" Rolly grimaced.

"I sure am," Bud quipped. "Just remember you started out as a twinkle in my eye."

"I don't think I'm hungry anymore." Rolly turned to walk through the kitchen door.

"Then can I have his supper," Jewel came in to hear the last thing Rolly said.

"Don't worry, Sweetheart," Bud assured her. "He'll come around."

After a nice supper, Bud asked his two young men, and the little princess to join him in the living room for a conversation.

"Look out," Jeff said, "the policeman wants to interrogate his own kids."

"No so, Jeff, get your facts straight." Bud quipped in a playful tone. "I want to get your perspective on something."

"Okay. What happened at work, today?" he asked, leaning in.

"You're a perceptive kind of a guy, aren't you," Bud teased. "As a matter of fact the preacher, Jim Book, paid me a visit, and he asked me a lot of questions."

"So, when are you going to 'get saved,' Dad?" Jeff asked.

"How did you know that was the subject of our conversation?"

"That's all Preacher Book knows how to talk about," Jeff said. "He knows, that this life is temporary, but Eternity never ends. I want you to be in Heaven with Jesus, Rolly, Jewel, and me, Dad."

"Now, don't you start, too, Jeff," Bud felt his blood pressure rising.

"I don't mean to make you angry, Dad," Jeff said, "but Jesus is real. This world is broken because of Original Sin, and everybody is going to live forever, either in Heaven or in Hell."

"How do you know these things, Jeff?" Bud asked, "And what proof do you have, that the things you're saying are actually true?"

"Well, Dad, I could tell you, that I read them in The Bible, while Preacher Book was sharing one of his sermons, but you don't believe The Bible. So, let's start somewhere else."

"What do you have in mind, Jeff?"

"Do you remember when we went to Nevermore Grand Beach last summer?"

"Sure. What about it?" Bud asked.

"A boy nearly drowned in the surf, but a lifeguard used CPR and ultimately had to shock him with 200 joules from the steel pads," Jeff said.

"I saw the whole thing. What's your point, Son?"

"That boy was dead. Without the help of the lifeguard, he would still be dead."

"I understand that, Jeff."

"Dad, we were all born dead, spiritually, drowned by the power of Sin," Jeff assured him. "We can't see the Truth of The Bible, and the fact, that Jesus is the Truth, until Jesus regenerates us (or makes us alive) from the dead. We can't even place faith in Jesus until He does the work of the everlasting EMT to make us alive from the dead, spiritually."

"Jeff," Bud said, "I don't have a clue what you are talking about."

"I know, Dad. I'm scared for you. I'm afraid you're going to miss Heaven and spend Eternity in Hell. I don't mean any disrespect, but you are still dead, spiritually."

"I don't feel dead."

"I know. Until God's Holy Spirit births you spiritually, you can't understand, that all of this time you have been dead, spiritually." Jeff started to cry.

"Jeff, that's insane," Bud nearly screamed. "I could never be born, again. My mother's already dead. Besides, I have no idea how that would work."

"That's exactly the same thing, that the pharisee, Nicodemus, said to Jesus when he had a private conversation with The Son of God by night. According to John 3:6-7, KJV, 'That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.'"

"I'm trying to understand, Jeff," Bud said. "Help me to know what you mean by 'born again.'"

"Dad, were you with Mom when I was born?"

"Yeah. I was. The Doc even let me cut your umbilical cord," Bud said. "What's the point?"

"How much did I do in order to birth myself into this world?" Jeff asked.

"What do you mean what'd you do?" Bud puzzled. "You came out. Your Mom pushed, and you came out. I can't see that you did anything."

"That's the point, Dad," Jeff said. "When a human is born again, that human can't do anything in order to be born spiritually."

"Okay. For the sake of argument, let's say I believe what you're telling me about being 'born again,'" Bud said. "Do you mean to tell me, that I can't get saved by saying, 'Jesus, I believe You are the Savior. Please, save me, so I can tell everybody I'm saved."

"I'm sorry, Dad. It doesn't work that way," Jeff said. "According to John 6:44, KJV, 'No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.' Dad, it's by invitation only. You can't 'get saved' just anytime you want to 'get saved' because left up to us, we never would want to 'get saved.'"

"I want to believe you, Jeff," Bud said, "but this is all too confusing."

"I know, Dad. I've been praying for you, that the Lord would save you every since I 'got saved.'"

"I don't want to lose you, Jeff," Bud said. "If what you say is true, is there any hope for me?"

"I pray for that every day, Dad. Jesus can do what we can't do. You can ask Him to save you. That's a good starting point. There is hope, Dad. John 6:37, KJV, says, 'All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.' If you are chosen for salvation, then you will be saved because 'For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.' (Philippians 2:13, KJV)"

"You mean I can someday be as you are now?" Bud asked.

"If the Lord is willing, and has chosen you, then you will be as I am now," Jeff said. "For now, have a willing heart to the best of your ability."

"You have grown up to be such a man, Jeff," Bud said.

"I learned from the best, Dad."

"It's almost nine," Bud said. "We better get everybody to bed. Tomorrow's another school day for you three, and another work day for me."

The three jumped up into Bud's arms, and they had the best hug they'd had in a long time.

"Jeff's been doing all the talking tonight, Dad," Rolly said, "but I agree with him. I want you to be saved, too. Eternity's too long to be separated."

"You're saved, too, Rolly?" Bud asked.

"Five years ago I got saved when I was ten," Rolly beamed.

"Me, too, Daddy," Jewel smiled. "I was saved three years ago when I was five."

"You are all such treasures to me," Bud said. "I will do my best to understand what has been said tonight. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost even one of you."

"We love you, Daddy!" they sang in chorus and ran off to their own beds.


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2023 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058469-Night-Falls