*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064023
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fanfiction · #2313902
Can a trio of shipwrecked newbies help preserve Dinotopia's legendary peace and harmony?
#1064023 added April 10, 2024 at 4:50pm
Restrictions: None
Deep Discussion
    Eddie, Bob, and Phil sat together at dinner where Phil asked Bob, "How did your observations go?"
"Rather well, although it looks like a few showers arriving tonight."
"I love showers at night, the gentle rhythm helps me sleep.  Bob, thank you for your help today.  You've earned a rest.  Eddie and I will handle the evening shift."

    Phil climbed up the ladder and Eddie followed.  After looking out from all sides, Phil said, "Eddie, remember all that weather stuff we chattered about on the ship?  Look around, what do you think?"
"I see some thick clouds gathering."
"Have a look at the barometer and tell me what it says."
"Well, it has fallen a bit since whenever Bob set the pointer."
"It looks like he was right.  It's going to shower soon...  Here in the Tropics, the weather is quite variable.  It can be dark and gloomy sometimes.  But then the clouds break and the sun peeks through.  The same can be said for the storms of the heart -- they don't last forever."

    Phil continued, "Evidently, something terrible has happened.  You need not talk about it now.  Instead, tell me some things you've enjoyed these past months."
"You can't believe all the places I've been, all around Dinotopia.  Bonabba looks incredibly like something from a Star Wars movie I've seen.  Except Skybax instead of spacecraft.  And Sauropolis, with its pomp and ceremony, parades and performances.  It seems like they take any excuse for a celebration.  It's a wonder how they get any work done."
"Rumor has it that they don't."
"And of course, we sneak into the Black Fish Tavern every chance we get.  And that reminds me -- This is for you."  Eddie pulls a jug out of his satchel.  "Look, it's Grade A hooch."
Phil was amused to see the three X's often appearing on moonshine jugs in cartoons, except these X's were in footprint.  "Eddie, that's such a thoughtful gift, seeing how I've never been to the Tavern.  What's it like in there?"
"Everything you've heard about that dive is true.  Surly pirate types gambling and fighting over treasure rights.  Toothy dinos with spike collars serving drinks.  I'm a rough dude myself, yet it frightens me.  Phil, a frail scientist like you would get eaten alive!"
"Well, thanks to you I can taste the drink without the worry.  I'll have to bring some cups up here where we'll enjoy this together."

    The next morning, Phil met Eddie at the VIP tree.  "Let's go for breakfast, then the morning observation."  As they walked the path to the dining area, a farm cart drawn by a Dilophosaurus passed by, turning the corner in front of them.  Eddie dashed away, screaming.  Eventually he slows down some, allowing Phil to catch up.
"Hate carnivores!" Eddie grunts. "They absolutely disgust me."
Profoundly out of breath, Phil tried to say, "Well ... yes, the ... carni ... vores do ... eat meat, but..."
Eddie cut in, "Dinotopian humans are told not to eat meat, that it's wrong to kill.  But that's what the wild carnivores do.  They care not for life except their own.  Every day they murder, and they eat."
"Eddie, there's no wild carnivores here.  That Dilophosaurus hasn't hurt anyone.  If anything, you hurt her feelings."
"Belay that, Phil.  You haven't experienced what I have.  Even the Rainy Basin carnivores are supposed to be, 'not evil, just hungry.'  But I tell you, they're exactly one basket of dead fish away from pure evil.  I've seen it for myself."

    Unlike George, Phil was never much for banter.  At breakfast, he was trying to keep up with the lively conversation while at the same time thinking how he could help Eddie.  It wasn't going well.  One friend waved his hand before Phil's eyes, barking, "Earth to Phil!"  From childhood this was something Phil couldn't stand -- and it was all he could do not to snap at him.  The climb up the station ladder, something Phil was of course quite used to, felt like a trip up the Backbone Mountains.

    Once there, he struggled to comfort his friend.  "Eddie, you have come a long way since that first day, when you shrieked at seeing that Stego.  Yet today you're still pale from this morning's encounter.  Your experience on that last convoy must have been something awful.  What on earth happened to you?"
Eddie sat himself down on the floor, leaning against a corner.  "So you want to know why I'm just a shell of the man I was?"
"I didn't mean it that way."
"Then, how did you mean it?"
Rendered speechless for a moment, Phil tried to apologize:  "Eddie, I'm so sorry to offend you.  I only wish you to relate your feelings, which may help you heal."
"Well if that's what you want, let me tell you what I think of that lousy engine fire!  And those wicked foul winds which carried us here.  Why isn't this death trap marked in red on every chart, with dire warnings and those triangle danger symbols?  Cursed be the dolphins that didn't bother to greet us.  And every stinking evil carnivore.  Most of all, cursed be Dinotopia!"  Finally, Eddie broke into the story of that fateful day:

    "That convoy was a long haul, all the way from Sauropolis to Bent Root.  Having been through a carnivore encounter each of the past three days, we had only two fish baskets remaining.  Yet our mood was getting brighter, since we had passed the Temple Ruins that morning -- with just an hour or so left in the Basin.  At this, two T-rexes, well, 'greeted' us.  Becky our Protoceratops translator offered each a basket.  The first rex wolfed down both baskets while the second just stood there and watched.  We were surprised to see him lunge at Becky, who barely escaped.  Then this rex turned to menace our Brach -- and Chloe our Triceratops intervened, brandishing her horns.  Normally a rex wouldn't risk messing with an angry trike, but this one reached right over the horns and grabbed her frill.  We then heard an unmistakable 'crunch' -- and Chloe's roaring became a feeble whimper.  James later explained that the frill being living bone its crushing meant debilitating pain beyond anything a human could experience.  Then the rex ...  I closed my eyes but could hear and smell it happening.  At that I commenced throwing up all over everything, and when there was no more, I dry heaved for minutes.  Then the crying began -- like a baby, unconsolably.  I was rendered useless for the rest of the journey.  James kindly had me hide in a supply wagon, and we made this emergency stop in Treetown.  So now you know why I'm no longer fit to be my own shadow.  All I want is off this rock -- if that were even possible."

    Phil, trying to encourage his friend, replied:  "You're not beyond help, since you found the courage to tell your story."  "You're talking like my shrink or something."  "No, I'm speaking as your friend and shipmate."

    "And a meteorologist.  It's time for the morning observation.  Care to help?  Check the baro while I observe the wind and clouds."  Double-teaming the observation, they soon had the report ready for the waiting postal bird.  Then another arrived.  "It's from George our shipmate."
"What does it say?"
"Fishing is down to half the usual catch.  Our reserves will deplete within mere months.  Morale is awful -- we used to sing our sea shanties most of the day, now we just quietly go through the motions, knowing that it's not doing much good anyway.  Even the veterans among us have succumbed to discouragement."

    Eddie just sat with his face down in his hands. Phil asked, "What can we write back?"
(silence)
"No, really -- George is down just like us.  How might we encourage him?
Eddie pondered for awhile.  "First of all, the singing.  Eighth Code.  Remember how everyone was feeling after the group sing at the VIP show?  How happy we felt?  That crew must sing their rowdiest sea shanties, louder than ever.  They won't scare the fish.  And there's no prudish saurians around to chastise them."
"Excellent idea.  And let's remind George how a newcomer can shine."
"Dolphinback power!  Now that's the spirit.  We can send this reply when the postal bird arrives for the noon observation."
© Copyright 2024 bricabrach (UN: bricabrach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
bricabrach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064023