*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073161-Every-Breath-You-Take
Rated: 18+ · Book · Ghost · #2275621
Entries for the Micro Fiction Challenge 2022 and Drabble Activity 2024.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1073161 added June 25, 2024 at 10:09am
Restrictions: None
Every Breath You Take
Every Breath You Take

1983. Jerry and his girlfriend, Stella, were talking music again.

“I love that song by the Police, I’ll Be Watching You,” said Jerry.

“You mean Every Breath You Take.” Stella paid attention to titles.

“You sure? I thought it was I’ll Be Watching You.”

“Evidently.” Stella was becoming used to these disagreements over titles.

Jerry shrugged. “Okay, I know you’re always right. But the point is, do you like it? It’s so romantic.”

“Yeah, pretty good. Not sure I’d want Sting to sing it to me though.”

Jerry was quiet. He wasn’t sure he liked the idea of such competition.



Word count: 100
First in a trio of related drabbles
For Drabble Activity 2024, Week 8
Prompt: Write 3 drabbles related to one another, and yet each able to stand on their own.


––ooOoo—-



I’ll Be Watching You

1993. Jerry and Stella, now married and relaxing in their apartment. The radio is playing softly in the background. Jerry reaches across and turns up the volume.

“Hey listen, Stella. It’s that old song, I’ll Be Watching You.”

Stella looks up from the book she’s reading. “It’s actually Every Breath You Take. But you’re right in a way - it should be called I’ll Be Watching You.”

“Why?”

“Well, it’s the words. They’re kinda creepy. It could be about stalking.”

Jerry is quiet for a few moments, then, “Hmm, you might be right.”

“You should know by now, I always am.”



Word count: 100
Second in the trio
For Drabble Activity 2024, Week 8


—-ooOoo—-



Sting

2003 and Sting is being interviewed on the television. Both look to be in their fifties, although Sting is still tanned and fit.

“So Sting, what about the controversial song?”

“Which one is that?” Sting looks mildly interested.

“Oh, you know, the one everyone thought was so romantic. And then somebody said it was creepy. Thought it was about a stalker.”

“Ah, you mean Every Breath You Take.” Sting smiles wryly.

“Yes, that’s it. So which is it, romantic or creepy?”

“Think about it for a moment. The repeating words, ‘I’ll be watchin’ you.’ It was always about a stalker.”



Word count: 100
Third in the trio
For Crabble Activity, Week 8


—-ooOoo—-





© Copyright 2024 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073161-Every-Breath-You-Take