*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073294-Beginning-62824
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2305530
.....five people are offered $25,000 each to spend 4 days at a haunted manor
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1073294 added June 28, 2024 at 7:16pm
Restrictions: None
Beginning 6/28/24
Doug Nichols thought this trip would make a good story. His last novel was printed six months ago and it had gone straight to paperback. His royalties were running out. He sat in his wheelchair outside the Vested Arms Hotel waiting for the van. He pounded on the stumps of his legs to keep from panicing. He noticed the Mercedes pull in to the roundabout.

That car looked out of place in this part of town. A woman in a sparkly black dress and spike heels got out of the back seat, brushing her black hair out of her face. Her nose was running slightly and her brown eyes were rimmed red. Angela Szabo checked her watch as her driver unloaded her bags. The van was not due for another hour. She sat on her largest suitcase and took off her shoes to rub her feet.

"why do women torture themselves like that?"

Angela looked up to see an athleticly built young man with an auburn pony tail. "Too look good, of course. I'm Angela."

"I'm Carl. I take it you two are waiting for the van?"

"I am," said Angela.

Doug merely grunted.

A black Ford Ranger with tinted windows pulled up. Another man with a muscular build got out and threw his duffle bag next to Carl's.

"You are getting on the van?" asked Carl.

"No. I just like to stand on curbs with my duffle. What do you think?"

"I wonder how many more are coming," said Angela.

A woman in a ragged waitress dress pulled her rolling suitcase up. "I heard you talking. I'm going on the van too. I'm Jodi."

"I'm Tim," said the muscular man, "I hope we are all here. It looks like the van is coming early."

A young man got out of the van. "I'm Jeff and I'm your transport. Ready to begin your adventure? "
Jeff grabbed Doug's wheelchair only to have Doug put on the breaks.

"I can do it myself."

"Of course Mr. Nichols. Just go to the back."

Jodi's eyes lit up. "You're Doug Nichols! I've read your book."

"I've written three." Doug said.

Jeff picked up three of Angela's suitcases and put them in the van. "That's all you can take. We don't have room for more."

"This is an outrage. Three suitcases for four days?"

"The rules were spelled out in the contract. I have a copy in the van."

"Look," said Doug. "We can sit here and argue or we can leave her here with all of them."

Angela sighed and climbed into the front passenger seat of the van.

Once they were all in the van Jeff gunned the engine before putting it in gear. He headed up the hill bhind the hotel and drove several miles out of the city. He drove several more into the countryside.

They entered the woods at the base of a mountain, following the path up and around until the woods opened on a set of iron gates. Jeff got out and opened them before driving through. No one noticed the gates close silently behind them.

Jeff took the long drive until he pulled up in front of Birchwood Manor. He got out their luggage before removing Doug from the van. He got back in and drove away without saying a word.

"We better get everything inside," said Tim. "It looks like rain."

Doug rolled up to the front steps and popped a wheelie, starting to roll backwards. Carl grabbed his chair and helped him up the stairs. Tim had grabbed his own duffle and Doug's luggage. Carl had his duffle slung over his back.

Angela stood beside her suiitcases, bitiing her lip and stomping her foot.

"You are not a baby," said Jodi rolling her suitcase passed, "Just a spoiled brat. Get over yourself."

There were no lights inside. Carl flipped out his cell phone and hit the flashlight. About a foot inside there were three steps going down into the foyer.

"This place was not made for wheelchairs," said Doug.

Carl handed his flashlight phone to Jodi and took hold of the wheelchair again.







© Copyright 2024 Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073294-Beginning-62824