*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073780-Phrase-Turner
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1073780 added July 10, 2024 at 10:03am
Restrictions: None
Phrase Turner
It's only been about a month, and I've already forgotten why I saved this articlebook ad from CNBC. But I'm sure I'll have some things to say, anyway.



In my career as a CIA analyst turned CEO and business advisor, understanding how to communicate effectively in complex and stressful environments has been at the core of everything I do.

That, and knowing how to spy on the competition without getting caught.

Ultimately, I've found that by leading with honesty and authenticity — and with some practice — anyone can learn how to meaningfully earn the trust of powerful stakeholders, and get them on your side.

Yep. People respond positively to honesty and authenticity. So once you've learned how to fake those things, you're golden.

Using these four key phrases have helped me become a better speaker and problem solver...

Oh, that's right. I thought this might be of interest to writers, as phrases are our stock-in-trade.

1. 'What information do you need?'

This has the added benefit of preventing you from giving away too much information, yourself.

I remember asking Senator John McCain this question during a foreign policy briefing once.

Nothing like name-dropping to show your street cred. "Yeah, I once had a casual conversation with a guy who at one point was just a few electoral votes away from becoming President."

2. 'Is there anyone else who needs to be part of this discussion?'

"Do you need to bring your mother here?"

3. 'Who disagrees?'

"And what dirt can we find on them to make them change their minds?"

4. 'I don't know, but I will find out and come back to you'

Okay, I can't really snark on this one. That's engineer-level thought right there. No one knows everything, and it's better to admit that you don't know than to make something up that might come back to bite you.

Just be sure to actually follow through.

Seriously, though, I don't think it's a bad articlead. And even I was impressed at the author's credentials at the bottom of the page. I just couldn't let certain jokes sit there, bored, with nothing to do.

© Copyright 2024 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073780-Phrase-Turner