*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/361743-Chapter-8-A-Change-Within-Nicky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #963392
A story of Sarah Turner with vampires, wizards, werewolves and magic
#361743 added May 18, 2007 at 9:05am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 8: A Change Within Nicky
At school the next morning, Sarah was quick to notice that Damien wasn’t at school, but of course, she couldn’t blame him. However, she soon realized that she found it extremely hard to concentrate on her schoolwork, because her eyes would dart to where Damien would usually sit, and wonder if he was all right. Nicky didn’t notice that Sarah was preoccupied; instead, her attention was more towards Alex. They were giggling all through class and whispering quietly to each other every few minutes about silly things.
Since when was Nicky and Alex so close? She was also quick to notice that Nicky was wearing makeup and that Alex’s hand was finding a pretty cozy spot on her sister’s thigh, and she had to bit on her tongue to stop herself from yelling out. Sarah wondered what was going on between them as she eyed them out suspiciously, but before Sarah knew it, lunch had come, the hour that she had been waiting for all day.

Madison and Sarah grouped up together like magnets and went to the edge of the forest to talk where no one would be able to hear them. Nicky didn't even wonder where Sarah was, because she went with Alex and a whole group of popular girls who were all wearing at least one article of pink clothing.

Everything was changing around Sarah, she noticed quite fast. Nicky was being more popular and was wearing lighter clothes as each day passed, while Sarah and Madison became more sullen and quiet, barely speaking with anyone else but each other. She didn’t know if this was because of her magic within her, or her wish to have fresh blood or even the fact that she was being watched and hunted by murderous creatures.

The day slowly passed by, the sun seeming to not want to bring out the moon and with it, its nasty little followers. Of course, Sarah realized that Sarah was not a friend of the sun as well, and was lucky that Hillary had set a curse upon all vampires years ago so they could walk in sunlight. Just as long they were not in their battle mode, their blood running from hunger of flesh, their abilities full power, they could handle sunlight.


At night Madison and Ryley all arrived to pick up Sarah as they usually did, and as usual, Nicky did not hear Sarah slip from her bed and change from her pyjamas to a flowing green dress. Even though Nicky did not take notice of Sarah, her mother knew what she was about to do, and would stand outside her door and though she did not say anything, her eyes told all; be careful. Sarah was pleasantly happy that her mother did not encourage Sarah not to keep going every night, but instead was worried about and sometimes even hugged Sarah.

As soon as she was outside with Madison and Ryley, who would not say a word to each other I might add, Sarah realized that Simon was not among them.

‘Where’s Simon tonight?’

Madison merely shrugged ‘Before I left, Hillary called me in my thoughts and told me that Simon had not arrived at the school yet, so we should just leave without him.’
She vaguely wondered if the attack on them the night before had some effect on him, or if the arrow had done more then give Simon a small bruise. The moon revealed itself out from behind the clouds giving off an eerie light and chill. Were stories actually true when they spoke of werewolves turning into monsters when the moon was full, or was it all just some stupid rumours and child stories?


Sarah, Madison, Ryley, Colby, Damien (who was all healed up and acting as though it had never happened), and Stephanie had to stay at the school while the others went off to do a mission. Supposedly, Angel and Troy had to go and feed on some humans because they were getting weak, and hopefully try not to kill at least one, and make them a vampire so that there would be more of their kind. Celina though had to go to a vampire village miles away to watch a christening of a newborn baby that would be a wizard one day. She was taking the place of Hillary in the christening because Hillary was much too busy with trying to keep Vladmire's men away from the school.

So they were left at the school, and since both telepathic students were both left at the school, Serge decided that would be best to learn first. He told them it would come in very useful whenever you were in dire need for help, because you could just easily transmit you thoughts without anyone hearing.

Sarah thought that was a useful talent, considering what happened last night. She would occasionally glance at Colby, but he did not heed her foreboding stare. Simon still did not show up at school through the whole night, and that only made Sarah more suspicious and worried than anything did.

After many long hours of trying to transmit some thoughts to Madison, Sarah finally succeeded. Damien was the first to transmit thoughts to Serge and now easily whipped around smart-ass remarks to Sarah, Ryley and Colby who could barely send a few words.

<Madison… Damien is… annoying!> was all that Sarah could send to Madison, who in turn tried to not burst out laughing. Sarah did feel slightly relieved that she wasn’t the last one in the class to get the telepathy; Ryley was now the only one left who still hadn’t sent a single word to Serge except ‘preposterous’, but that was just a fluke from anger.
As they still sent their thoughts about anything to Madison, Stephanie or Serge, Serge moved away to the window and saw how the sun’s rays were spreading across the sky.
‘Okay it’s time to finish up here. You all did well here today, especially you Damien and after having a few days recovery slowing you down.’ Serge said with a smile towards Damien, who in the process pushed out his chest proudly, his cheeks flushing a bright red. Stephanie walked past Damien and slapped him in the back of his head. Even though she was a girl, the impact seemed to be much harder than what it seemed, because Damien fell forward and stumbled over his own feet. Madison and Sarah burst into a fit of giggles as Damien slowly brought himself off the floor. Stephanie smirked at him as she opened the door and left without another word. She was strange to Sarah, but so was everyone in their own way she supposed, and she wasn’t one to judge people behind their backs.

Damien brushed himself off and left quickly followed by Colby who smirked at Sarah when he passed by, and whispered in her ear these words ‘Beware of the moon Sarah.’ Sarah frowned at Colby, and started to follow him when someone grabbed her shoulder and spun her around.

‘Sarah, I would just like to inform you that tomorrow night, you Madison and Ryley shall go on an assignment to collect a little girl and bring her to Hillary.’ Serge explained to Sarah, his other hand holding Madison in one spot. She hissed and tried to fight his hand off her head, her vampire fangs revealed and gleaming in the glow of the candle light, her eyes glowing fiercely, and her pupils narrow and barely showing. Ryley stood next to Madison seemingly enjoying the fact that Madison was unable to do anything about Serge's hand upon her head.

‘I am not going on a mission with that, that, boy, there is absolutely no way that I am doing that!’ Madison hissed glaring angrily at Ryley who merely laughed at her pitiful attempts to break free. Serge chuckled and pretended to wipe a tear away from his eye.
‘Now Madison, either you go on this mission and ignore the fact that Ryley is with you, or we will suck away all of your magical blood and erase your memory of what has happened. Which will your prefer?’

Madison’s face was a chalky white and shocked. She finally pulled her hand free from Serge's grasp and said very nastily ‘Fine, I’ll go on the mission with him.’

‘Excellent, but you do realize that Ryley will have to go on missions with you until Simon is not ill anymore, and that may take a few more days, or at least your should hope.’
Madison sighed heavily and glanced at Ryley, ‘You better not mess this up boy, or I will torture you until you beg for death.’ She hissed, reaching for her bag. She stormed out through the door grumbling to herself under her breath. Sarah glanced at Serge and Ryley and chuckled slightly, but soon followed Madison, wondering where on earth Simon could be.

Serge turned his eyes to Ryley and smirked at the expression upon Ryley’s face. He stared at the door with a sad puppy expression, as though he could still see Madison standing in the doorway. ‘You have this one chance to be alone with Madison and Sarah Ryley, do not mess up this one opportunity, because Simon will be there the next time and you won’t be able to act out your plan.’ Serge paused to put out the candle with his finger. ‘I leave you now, good evening Ryley, I truly hope that it works for you.’
Ryley sighed slowly and watched at Serge slipped away out of the room and into the hallway that was filled with the excited whispering of the other students. He could only hope that it would work out his way, but usually things never did, he just had to learn that you were unable to control the other people and their reactions. He moved to the windows quietly, ignoring the chatter within the hallways. Out on the lawn Sarah and Madison were dashing away, most likely towards their homes.

On the other hand, maybe they were little snoops and were sneaking away to Simon’s home, since Sarah knew where it was. Oh, of course he knew that Simon took Sarah there, and in his mind he thought that was a very irresponsible thing to do with the moon so close to being full. Maybe he should have followed them to make sure that they were safe, that they wouldn’t go see Simon. He paused in his thoughts and crossed his arms and sniffed stubbornly.

‘Why should I make sure that their all right, why do I even care?' he said aloud. He suddenly was angry with himself for speaking to himself without anyone around, and after grabbing his bag stormed out and headed for his house.



Sarah gently opened her door as quietly as she could, hoping that she would not awake Nicky. However, as soon as her hand touched the knob, she somehow knew that something just wasn’t right, and stopped breathing as she tried to listen for anything beyond the door. Her vampire senses sharpened and made everything seem unrealistic and unnaturally slow around her. She could hear her brother’s breaths from where she stood her mother’s soft moans of her daily nightmares, and a strange and curious sound that sounding like the distinct scraping of her window being opened. She hissed softly as her teeth bared and her eyes began to glow. The blue glow from her eyes lit up the hallway and caused the shadows to fall away, and as soon as she poked her head into her room, she was prepared to attack. Her hand was clasped around her necklace as she lunged through the door hissing like an undomesticated cat, her hands thrown up for martial arts combat.

Nicky screamed and tumbled through the window her face hitting the floor, her pants caught in what appeared like a nail from the window. Sarah gasped and rushed to her sister and began to help her up.

‘Oh Nicky, I’m sorry, I thought that you were someone else.’ Sarah tried to explain quickly, her voice filled with an anxious surprise, not yet taking in the fact that her sister had just crept back into their room from the window.

‘What the hell is wrong with your eyes.’ was all the Nicky could say as she stared up with wide eyes at Sarah, her gaze also falling on Sarah’s teeth and necklace that was still glowing partially white. Sarah immediately began forcing herself back to her human form as she backed away from Nicky. ‘Sarah, what is going on here, why are you like that, what is wrong with you?’

‘I should ask you the same question, what are you doing climbing through the window, where the hell where you Nicky?’ Sarah shouted, pointing an accusing finger at Nicky, who instead of looking intimidated, moved towards Sarah and glared at her own sister.

‘Where was I Sarah, where the hell where you, you left at twelve at night and you just got back now? Is this some silly little adventure that you and Madison have created, or is there maybe some boy with black hair and fantastic blue eyes that you might be interested in?’

Sarah hesitated and glanced out into the hallway towards their parent’s door. She was completely unable to tell Nicky where she had been, besides, Nicky would never believe her, or at least not lately she wouldn’t. Nicky had started changing, and Sarah saw that Madison noticed it as well. She was disappearing during the day and after school and would never tell her mother where she was going, and her clothes were beginning to change as well, tight hip hugging jeans with colourful tops. This wasn’t her twin sister that used to go and find snakes in the fields with them anymore, she was enjoying the fact that Alex was paying her more attention than usual, and she was beginning to hang out with the girls that she always hated. The popular ones that would wear tight clothes, put on a pound of makeup, which would take up the mirrors in the bathrooms, and always whine about how they still weren’t pretty enough.

‘Tell me where you were Sarah, and in return I shall tell you where I was.’ Nicky whispered, her lips brushing Sarah’s ear, sending a deep haunting chill down her spine in response. From this close distance Sarah could smell a sweet perfume on Nicky, and saw that she was wearing fake eyelashes. There was also the smell of strong alcohol on her sister’s breath as she giggled in Sarah’s ear as Sarah stared at Nicky’s neck. It looked so smooth and she could only imagine what her perfect complexion flesh would look like bathed in her crimson blood. Sarah was furious, she felt her anger causing her teeth to grow as she began to breathe excitedly, thinking about biting her own flesh and blood.

She did wonder what biting a person would be like, how she would feel, how it would taste and just watching the person’s face develop into a scream would be ecstasy to Sarah. If only Nicky would move her arms, then Sarah would have her chance to penetrate Nicky and watched as she would lie bleeding on the floor.

<Resist the urge to hurt your sister Sarah.> a voice boomed in her head, causing her to hiss in anger and confusion. Her mother and father slipped into the room, pulled Nicky away from Sarah, and threw her to the floor in such quickness that Sarah was thrown off complete guard. She always suspected that they would wait for Sarah every morning for her to come home, but now she knew that her suspicions were true.

‘Where were you all night Nicky Alice Turner, and I will know if you are telling the truth, the same with your father and sister.’ her mother shouted, advancing on Nicky, her eyes blazing like mad. Nicky was backing away and was gasping in fright, but soon she was cornered to the wall, and she only hid her face away from all of them around her.
‘Mum, what’s going on, why are you yelling?’ Jake asked coming out of his room and stumbling towards Sarah’s groggily.

‘Jake, get back to bed this instant or you will be severely punished! This is none of your concern!’ their father roared, his eyes glowing a dark sapphire and were beyond what Sarah could call fierce. Sarah peeked at Jake from under her sweater hood and saw how his eyes had a frightened look to them, and before his father could yell once again, Jake backed away to his room. Sarah was sure that her father’s eyes were what scared Jake the most since they were glowing, because their father used to yell at Jake much worse when they were younger. Yes, their father used to have a horrible temper with Jake when they were under ten years old, and yes, he had hit him before and rather hard as well.

Sarah remembered how Jake would be cornered as her father would scream at him in a drunken rage, but by that time Jake was so used to this that his eyes would merely fade away into a glaze. Sarah and Nicky had come upstairs when they heard their father scream and Sarah heard him ramble on about having a pathetic son that would never continue his blood. It was horrible watching it, but Sarah and Nicky watched with a sick fascination as they felt their mother’s presence behind them, also not doing anything about their father. She did not shed a tear or wince when their father hit Jake so hard that he fell against the fireplace and crumbled to the floor, and soon went back to the kitchen with a sigh. However, when their father turned around and saw that Sarah was standing there and saw the whole thing, he groaned and went to her and gave her a comforting embrace. She remembered how he said ‘I’m sorry you had to see that Sarah, but never worry, I won’t ever lay a finger upon you my special, special little girl.’ However, Nicky did not receive an embrace nor a glance as their father stumbled away to his room, once again rambling about things from the past that no one except Hope understood.


Sarah was the only one, who had never been yelled at or hit out of the three kids, and she was the worst out of them all, and she understood now that her father only appreciated her because she had his pure vampire blood in her. That was why Jake despised Sarah, because she was the only one out of the family who had their father’s love and respect, and maybe Nicky was beginning to realize this now. Nicky and Sarah were slowly slipping away from each other whether they wanted to believe it or not, she was always with Alex at every hour she could get out. Nicky, as Sarah had said before, was changing dramatically, and Sarah and Madison did not like the way that she was becoming. Sarah was still with Madison, but they were carefully allowing Ryley and Damien to join them whenever they would go for strolls around the schoolyard. Of course, one had to be careful in case the dark lord had spies watching Hillary’s students, because Damien was already hurt because of Sarah. Whenever they would try to explain this to Damien or Ryley, they would both shrug and say that they would rather protect the girls and suffer than let their own kind be left alone.

‘Mom, leave me alone, you are not allowed to lay a finger on me, don’t make me call the cops on you for hitting me!’ Nicky screamed, thrashing out as Hope tried to grab Nicky’s arm to make her talk.

‘Not until you tell me where you have been Nicky, and why don’t you explain why you are wearing a skirt so high and a shirt that almost reveals your breasts, explain that to me first.’ Hope hissed as if she was a vampire just like Sarah or Mark was. Nicky knew that she was cornered, but she still did not want to reveal where she had been, her lips sealed tightly and hiding the shiny pink lip-gloss that she had been wearing. ‘All right then, if you do not want to tell me where you were, I shall keep that in mind for the future. Goodnight Sarah, I will see you in a few hours time ready for breakfast.’

She smirked at Sarah as she passed by, and through a message sent through her head, she whispered <Do not worry yourself, Nicky shall be taken care of at the breakfast table, I assure you. I’m quite pleased you learned how to pick up telepathy, because we three may now have secret conversations between us, and let it stay between us, Jake and Nicky need not to learn of this.>

Sarah nodded and watched as her mother gave her father an odd glance, then slip away into her room, her father soon following, but only after giving Nicky a hard stare of displeasure. Nicky sobbed quietly in her hands, her makeup beginning to smear around her eyes as she looked up at Sarah. At first, Sarah felt a pain of sympathy for her sister as her crystal sapphire blue eyes stared at Sarah sadly, she just couldn’t help it. But soon the moonlight revealed her sister for what she really was, a pitiful, sad attempt to be something that was defiantly not herself. Nicky crawled on the floor towards Sarah, her eyes large and trying to be as innocent as possible, grabbed onto Sarah’s cloak, and sobbed into it pathetically.

‘Don’t let mother hurt me Sarah, you would never let mom or dad ever hit me as they did to Jake, would you?’

Sarah pulled her leg away from the pathetic creature on the floor and shook her head as she began taking off her cloak and putting on her nightgown for a few good hours of sleep. ‘Go to bed Nicky, it’s late.’ Sarah told her sister as she crawled under her covers. Nicky was breathing heavy and still sniffling as she climbed up the ladder to her bed above Sarah, and only after half an hour of weeping did Nicky drift away.

Sarah sighed once she heard that Nicky was no longer crying into her pillow, but she did wonder where her sister was on this night. She could possibly get Madison over tomorrow and get her to purge into Nicky’s memories to see what she had been doing, or would that be disturbance of personal property? No of course it wasn’t, her sister was out when she shouldn’t have been, and she was doing who knows what and was with who knows who, but Sarah was positive that she had been drinking. That might have been why Nicky wept most of the night, because sometimes when you are drunk, you cannot control your emotions, or rage. Sarah knew the blunt anger from her father when he used to drink, and was quite happy that Hope had finally forced him to quit. But she had to shyly add to her thoughts that she wondered where Simon was on this night, and if he was of course all right and not hurt, or even worse, brought to the dark side. The luminous glow from her alarm clock showed that it was ten to six in the morning, and already the sun was rising up from its hiding ground.

Maybe today would be a better day, and Sarah knew that she had to continue even though many things were running through her mind. One-step, and that leads to another, and then next thing you know, you’ve walked a mile in life, and who knows, maybe you could walk just one more! She smirked at her own corny little line and rolled in her bed yawning, she shouldn’t worry about Simon; he could take care of himself easily enough. But there was a wonder in her head, and she remembered what Colby had whispered to her when leaving the class, and she prayed that Colby was just trying to worry her.
© Copyright 2007 fallen angel (UN: vc_andrewsfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fallen angel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/361743-Chapter-8-A-Change-Within-Nicky