*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/402904-Land-of-the-Dead
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#402904 added January 30, 2006 at 7:02pm
Restrictions: None
Land of the Dead
Farewell. Farewell. Farewell.

“Why’s he breathing like that?”

“He’s slipping away.”

“Then stop him!”

“I told you, I can’t. If he’ll just hold on a little longer, I’m sure the medicine will be here. And maybe…”

“Maybe what?”

“Maybe I can keep him alive a little while longer. But he is going to die. You’re just going to have to accept that, Marina.”

It’s cold. Why is it so cold?

“You talk as if he’s already dead!”

“He may as well be! The medicine will only help ease his way.”

What was this place? He was sure he’d never been here, yet it was vaguely familiar.

“I can’t believe this. I can’t believe we’re going to sit back and watch him die.”

The air, the landscape, everything felt fresh, clean, new, as if the whole world was created this morning. What was this place? A figure far in the distance walked toward him.

“There’s nothing more we can do. I’m sorry.”

In a few heartbeats, the figure was in front of him. He knew that face. It was much younger than he remembered, but he knew it. Father! His father smiled and threw his arms around him. Zander wept. He thought he’d never see his father again, yet here he was—wherever they were.

“I’m not ready to give up. If he’ll just hang on…”

He held on to his father as if they’d never see one another again. Then Zander suddenly realized that this was the beginning, not the end. Father! And they’d be together forever. There were others. He could feel them, so many others here waiting to meet him. There was someone else too, someone bigger than all of them, someone who’s presence brought peace and joy all at once. His father threw his head back and laughed. His merriment was contagious and Zander couldn’t help but join the mirth as all the others did. His father put out his hand.

‘Let’s go home.’ Home. So that’s what this place was. His father clapped him on the back. They took a step into eternity. But something was wrong. Zander tried to move forward, but he was stuck. The presence that covered all things was disapproving his coming. Why? Please, he wanted to go home with his father. Someone calls to you. Besides, you’ve work that’s unfinished.

Zander began to move forward again. His father grabbed his arm. ‘You have a choice most don’t get. Choose life.’ But he wanted to stay here with him. ‘I know. And we’ll be together again. All of us will. Just not yet.’ But father! This is all I’ve wanted since I was 15! His father laughed. ‘I know! You need to find some other desires! Get a girl or something!’ But I—‘Son, it’s time to put me on the shelf for a time. There are other things on the stove that need your attention.’ I don’t want to forget you. ‘You won’t.’
Someone calls to you.

The wind picked up. He looked behind him.


“Please hold on. Don’t go.” The voice said. “Don’t go. Stay.”

He recognized the voice.
“This may sound silly, but a bird once told me that life is hope. I know that’s hard to see right now, but… Please, just hope in something.”

He knew her voice. ‘Go on,’ his father coaxed. But she the daughter of the man who killed you! I can’t listen to her. It’s a disgrace to you! ‘She’s just a child, Zander, just as you were on that day. She may not even know why you’re here. There are things that parents do with no thought to their children. I know this very well.’ The wolf? Galcon? ‘I brought your fate upon you with no further thought than if you were a cricket I’d stepped on.’ But I chose it. ‘Yes. I suppose you did. Now you have another choice: Will you die for the dead? Or live for the living?’

“Klemt! You promised to take me to Talis. You can’t back out now!”

I did promise. I suppose I must keep my word. If nothing else, I’ll go to show the superiority of the Briar family over theirs. His father laughed. They embraced one last time. No, not the last time, he reminded himself. ‘I’ll be waiting for your return… But don’t hurry. I want to hear many years of good stories when you come back.’ I will. ‘Go then my son. I’m glad you’ve turned out so well. Mayhap I will come and visit sometime.’ Please do. Zander turned and walked away. Wind gusts pushed him back. Another voice filled his ears.
“Death never gives up its hold easily.”

He kept moving. The whipped around his body, pushing him back. It was like walking through molasses. One foot forced itself in front of the other. Then a strong gust knocked him over. He lay on the ground flatten by the wind.

“We beseech you to give him the strength to return. Fill him we the spirit of the Most High King.”

“Live for the living.” A strong voice said in the wind. “Live for the living.” I will! Suddenly the wind twisted around itself. It turned itself into a tall cone the tip of which headed straight for Zander’s head. He didn’t fear it. It wasn’t deadly. Death couldn’t take him when he was already in the land of the dead. The tip of the wind cyclone hovered above his mouth. Zander felt a heavy weight on his shoulders that caused him to inhale. He sucked the cyclone into his body, filling himself with sweet honey and warm milk.


© Copyright 2006 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/402904-Land-of-the-Dead