*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426928-The-Third-Letter
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1108013
Curiosity killed the cat, but how will a wizard handle it?
#426928 added May 19, 2006 at 11:41am
Restrictions: None
The Third Letter
Day Three
I have touched it! And the cursed thing! Oh, curse this orb! I still have my own powers, but the orb! The orb has changed! It is smaller, lighter in color, yet heavier in weight, and spherical, but not perfectly spherical. It is obvious to me now that the orb is without a doubt magical of a defensive or intellectual dimension. It is not offensive; it does not act on its own, but rather in reaction to its environment. I opened a window further up the tower, and allowed some sun to shine upon the orb’s surface. Its reaction was no less surprising: still hard to the touch and not physically malleable, the orb still changed its shape into a completely unpredictable and asymmetric piece of stone. The color went bright and warm; it became lighter and grew a little as well.
After only slightly touching the orb, and recovering from my shock when it changed, I tested my powers and am still at my full capabilities. It is definitely not a dispelling orb, and so I hold it much less cautiously, except making sure not to drop it. Elementalist powers had seemingly no effect on the orb besides its physical nature. Fire, wind, water, and earth all simply changed the physical nature of the orb, but it still did nothing. I then attempted to hold it in my hands and heal my crooked toe, but it did nothing. Thus, after much study and experimentation, the dimensions of destruction, elementalism, necromancy, restoration, fortification, and conjuration do not agree well with the orb. It seems to be of an intellect dimension, such as telekinesis, illusionism, prescience, or gating, due to its reactions of the more physical dimensions of magic.
The orb could also be a combination of many different dimensions! How exciting that would be, to have a multi-dimensional orb of magic! Such a thing has not been found as yet and would prove tremendously advantageous in the progress of orb knowledge. Just think of what we might be able to accomplish, what new information we would gain, or what kind of an advantage we would have over our enemies! I can see the surprised face of the last of them when we finally defeat their abhorred kind.
I will start my research anew tomorrow, for it is dark outside the tower, and my eyelids fall with every mark of the quill.
© Copyright 2006 J.A. Strickland (UN: welshwolfj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
J.A. Strickland has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426928-The-Third-Letter