*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426930-The-Fifth-Letter
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1108013
Curiosity killed the cat, but how will a wizard handle it?
#426930 added May 19, 2006 at 11:45am
Restrictions: None
The Fifth Letter
Day 9
Shortly after I finished my supper received for my last letter, which seems like so long ago, the orb showed me that the enemy was quickly preparing for an attack. During these last four days I have done virtually nothing but use the orb to tell of their positions to the Counselor and the army’s Lieutenant. Our enemy was wanting something back, I believe, and it cost them dearly, but they were restless, and continued fighting and attacking, pounding Durdan like waves of futile anger against the rock of stone. It is needless to say that I was very busy during these four days. Now that we have quelled them enough, and they have retreated a bit back down, I believe it is now safe to resume my studies on the orb. My focus now is to steer the orb to scenes of the future, to have the orb show me what to tell or do so that we might defeat the ogres and gremlins once and for all. Wait…one moment…
I have just witnessed a very distressing scene. It was a picture of me, yet I was older, weathered, and wrinkled, hunkered over some object of sorts. Then the scene rapidly closed in on my face, and I wasn’t breathing and my eyes were open, but empty as the space between the stars. I fear that I saw the scene of my death. Judging from my dilapidated state, I would say that it would be at the very least fifteen or so more years before that, though. My whiskers were white; my muscles and bones atrophied. However, it was still a gruesome scene. How many people, including wizards, actually get to witness their own death before it happens? I would venture to guess not many.
This event motivates me to try to grasp the full possession of the orb’s powers. I must muster all of my strength and will to impress upon the orb to surrender itself to me. It would only help us in our fight, so I must press on. This letter is much shorter than the last, but only because I realize that I must spend as much time as possible to attain this goal.
© Copyright 2006 J.A. Strickland (UN: welshwolfj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
J.A. Strickland has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426930-The-Fifth-Letter