*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426931-The-Sixth-Letter
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1108013
Curiosity killed the cat, but how will a wizard handle it?
#426931 added May 19, 2006 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
The Sixth Letter
Day 16
After such grueling nights and days, I have accomplished my task. I have traveled through the near future and the far, witnessed the marriages of great-grandchildren of current youth in the village, seen empires fall and new governments rise, but most importantly, I have seen our victory. The date is still uncertain, but I know that we will win. We shall be the victors. I sigh now with relief that the fate of this war is on our side.
I have also realized the deficiencies of the future. While some are firm and resolute (these are obvious when seen), others are much more dependent on my actions with the new information. In fact, I don’t even need to see the future any more. Simply the present will do. The future is too dependent on changing factors that some scenes cannot be heeded. The scene of our victory, however, is much different. I saw the last of the abhorred species we fight, and when he died, there was too much finality with that blow to seem anything but absolute.
I shall continue sending reports to the Counselor on current activities of our enemy. What he does with the reports is no longer a burden on my shoulders. I shall spend more of my time learning from the great ancient wizards themselves and looking into the possibilities of the future. Recently, I have been able to go to the door and meet Yuldif waiting for me with my meal. But since so much of what there is to learn about the orb has already been written, I receive my food without giving him a letter to scribe. He asks of me every time, “Do you have a letter this time?” and I simply reply, “Not yet.” Yuldif, please understand, it is not that I don’t want you to have an occupation, but now it seems that we might be nearing the end of this research.
© Copyright 2006 J.A. Strickland (UN: welshwolfj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
J.A. Strickland has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426931-The-Sixth-Letter