*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426933-Yuldifs-Letter
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1108013
Curiosity killed the cat, but how will a wizard handle it?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#426933 added May 19, 2006 at 11:48am
Restrictions: None
Yuldif's Letter
That was the last letter that Illeravin ever wrote. It is I, Yuldif, and I shall finish the tragic story of the once-great wizard. Shortly after this last letter, Illeravin stopped coming for his food at all. At first I simply thought he had become aware of some new power of the orb and was attempting to control it as well. However, after six days of not coming for food, at least, I began to worry. Usually, Illeravin at least speaks to me every day, even if he does not have a letter of progression for me to scribe. Six days passed, though. I attempted to open the door myself, going against my orders, but it was locked. So, I voiced my discomfort with the Counselor. He agreed that the doors should be thrown down to see on the well being of the wizard. We were not sure if he could conjure complex entities such as breads and feed himself, but we wanted to be safe.
When we did throw down the doors of the library tower, we found Illeravin sitting on one of the benches, slouching over the orb in his hands. His beard was white as snow, his muscles looked weak, and he wasn’t moving. The Counselor checked for his life pulse, but found none. So Illeravin had died from starvation and dehydration, and his hairs had whitened from a lack of nutrition. Another local wizard, not as powerful as Illeravin, was too afraid to touch the orb because he believed that it was the orb that killed Illeravin. The Counselor asked him why he believed this and the wizard answered, “Because I am so paranoid, I have read that manuscript, Tragic Falls, thirteen times over to make sure that I do not make the same mistakes as others have. I know what is on page 39, and it is that.” He then pointed to the orb. He then shook violently and some soldiers took him to the healing house. The Counselor and I immediately searched for the manuscript in question, and flipped to the thirty-ninth page.
It read as follows:
“The Manifest Orb is one of the most dangerous magical orbs in existence. It is not a concave orb, yet it rivals the deadliness of the most powerful of concaves. The Manifest Orb simply resembles a gating orb for the first week or so of the current owner’s possession, and then becomes a manifestation of the possessor’s deepest wants. Several powerful wizards and kings have fallen to the Manifest Orb, such as Domiscu, Perra, Nacidu, and King Wellam. We can thank Domiscu for shedding some light on the orb after he forced the orb to show him the death of Perra and Nacidu. When he realized the full story, he broke himself of the orb’s holding spell only long enough to write 25 words on a scrap of paper. He was not able to finish his last sentence before he was brought back under the orb’s spell. The sentence follows: “If you get it…” Nothing was ever heard from Domiscu again. He died from starvation while under the spell of the Orb.”
The Counselor then decreed that the Manifest Orb be placed in a container of diamond, magically secured by the local wizard as soon as possible, and be locked away so that no one hopefully would fall victim to the Orb’s powers again. These letters were preserved and this last explanation added to them as a warning to those who are curious about the Orb. It is fair to say that you shall die if you exercise your curiosity.
© Copyright 2006 J.A. Strickland (UN: welshwolfj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
J.A. Strickland has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426933-Yuldifs-Letter