*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450554-Chapter-Two
Rated: 18+ · Book · Drama · #1148674
A supernatural religious novel that explores the third secret of Fatima
#450554 added August 25, 2006 at 12:16pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
Laura-2001

“Fuck this shit!” Laura throws her pen down in frustration then turns her head and gives the door a guilty glance, hoping she hasn’t been too loud. ‘How To Save The World-For Dummies.’ A snarky title, she knows.

She takes another gulp of coffee and shifts her eyes to the digital clock on her desk. Two in the morning. Laura groans, pushing back away from the black metal desk and rubs her eyes. God, help me out here would you? You know, I scratched your back, now you scratch mine. Make the words come out onto the paper. Hell, write it out yourself, she begs silently.

Maybe I can bribe Cardinal Vittorino to do this for me, Laura thinks with a smile. Maybe promise the old guy a Cuban cigar or two. The smile disappears. He can’t tell the bastards all of it cause he wasn’t there for all of it. He didn’t see the things she had. Learned what she had.

The only ones who can speak of that are the chosen ones, them. Herself, Nick, Emily and Brian. They saw it all. Led by the Catholic Church like lambs to slaughter. And Michael. Father Michael Kelly. Laura sighs. How about it Padre? Care to help me out again for old times sake? There’ll be no help from the young priest this time. She pushes back her chair and stands up but before she can disregard the assignment, a thought comes to her. No rest for the wicked. Laura snorts,
hearing the young priest’s admonition to get back to work. Yeah, yeah. I know Padre. I think better on my feet though, remember? Laura bites the pen, the tip already in danger of complete disfigurement and paces around the living room.

She knows they want the play-by-play but she doesn’t want to tell them too much. They had left the so-called hope of the world in the dark for so long. Now it seems only fitting that Laura do the same. If she had it her way she’d tell them all to go fuck themselves. But the story isn’t hers alone. It belongs to the four of them and without her words it will never be complete.

How much are the others telling? She wants to ask but that would break the agreement. They won’t share. Each account will be private and separate.

She can delve into their minds if she wants.

No, that would be breaking the agreement on an even worse level.

There are things she won’t mention. Private moments. Private revelations. Laura’s mouth breaks into a wide grin. She can still stick it to those Vatican bastards one final time. She sits back down and takes the last gulp of lukewarm coffee from her “Insanity Isn‘t Only For Crazy People“ coffee mug. Re-energized, she puts pen to paper and smiles. “You’re right about that, Padre. There’s no rest for the wicked.” Laura says out loud.



Chapter Two-1999

Laura Gambetti flopped exhausted on the light maple floor and spread her arms out. She fought for deep gulps of air as her heart pounded in her ears. She stared up at the row of soft white lights above her.

“That’s it. I’m done. No more torture. I beg you.” she looked up at the woman standing to her right.

Marta Barika stared down at her smiling. “Very well. You’re done for the day. Come back tomorrow and we’ll tighten up the second half of the routine.” the woman held out a long slim arm to help Laura back to her feet.

“You’re evil. Pure evil. I don‘t know why I‘m still working for you.” Laura whined, groaning as her body took it’s revenge against her with pain for the positions she had been putting it in all morning. As she sat up, she drew the soles of her feet together, bent down and rested her forehead against her ankles. “Why do you want me anyway? You need a woman with no bones whatsoever.” Laura suggested, her smooth deep voice made deeper by her bent position.

“You know very well why. It’s a good thing humility is not a required professional trait for you.”

“Yeah, I’d have never made it past my first dance audition.” Laura panted as she lifted her head and smiled. “But I really can’t make it tomorrow. My friend is coming to stay with me for the summer and I’ve got to pick her up at the bus station.

“The actress?” Marta asked, pulling her black hair out of its tight bun.

“Yeah. She’s coming in the morning.” Laura replied with a warm rush of excitement. She took a deep breath and grabbed the black bar that ran along the left of the room hoisting herself to her feet. The white curtains that ran along the floor to ceiling windows, matching the white walls, tickled against Laura’s back pleasantly and stuck against her bare damp shoulders.

“Alright. Come in Monday for the changes to the second half.” Marta tossed a dry towel at her star.

“Changes? Jesus. Already? We haven‘t even started rehearsals for the second act yet.” Laura shook her head as she tugged the band out her long black sweat dampened hair with a hiss of pain. “I’m gonna quit and go be a lawyer or something. Less stress.” she said.

Marta shook her head and let out a very Russian snort. “You’d be bored stiff and your big mouth would get you in contempt the first day of your first case.”

“You’re right. Dance is the only profession that really appreciates one such as me.” Laura joked slinging her gym bag over her shoulder.

“Tolerates!” Marta called out as Laura pushed out through the double doors of Studio E.

Turning down the blissfully cool corridor, Laura made her way outside and was met by one of her housemates and fellow dancers, Annie Gilbert. The younger woman was practically floated towards her.

“He did it!” Annie squealed delighted, waving her now jeweled left hand in an excited blur.

“Really? Congratulations! Now let me see this rock.” Laura stopped her hand and pulled it closer. “Niiiiiice” She said whistling at the impressive diamond set in platinum.

She pushed back the envious stir in her belly and hugged her friend. “Big celebration dinner tonight. I’m not cooking.” Laura promised.

“Thanks but we’re going to go out with Ben’s parents and break the news.”

“Alright then. Bring lots of Kleenex and tell Ben I said Mazaltov.” Laura said. ”I’m all icky and sore so I’m gonna head home and shower. I’ll see you later.” She told Annie, continuing towards her car.

As the warm water washed over her sweaty sore limbs Laura thought of what her mother’s reaction was going to be when she heard Annie’s news and sighed.

“Oh that’s wonderful! Annie’s a few years younger than you isn’t she?”

Laura shook her head. It happened when her cousin Carla had gotten married and now here they’d go again. Laura couldn’t help it if men wanted soft docile women who always smiled sweetly and built up their man’s egos. She had her own ego and her own mind. Most men didn’t appreciate that. She had no desire to settle down with a man who had a hard on for his mother dressed as Betty Crocker. Give me a man who appreciates beauty with a brain and I’ll put the diamond on his finger! Laura vowed silently.

Lost in her musings , Laura didn’t realize she had dropped the soap until her heel slid on it, nearly causing her to lose her footing in the shower. She reached out with a gasp and grabbed the faucet, her wrist cutting into the edge of the hot water faucet.

“Fuck!” she swore more from the scalding change in temperature than from the pain in her wrist She jumped out of the nozzle’s range and whimpered as the blood oozed from the cut. Not a deep gash, thank goodness, but damn did it hurt! She brought her wrist to her mouth to stop the blood and eased the temperature back to normal with her other hand. She pulled her wrist back with a confused look, when she didn’t taste the recognizable metallic warmth of her own blood.

As the warm water caressed Laura’s back she studied the wound…or lack thereof. The painful sting was still there but there was no break in her skin anymore. She ran her thumb over the smooth skin. No sign of any cut at all. She saw tiny red plops coming from her other wrist and sucked in her breath when she spotted a new wound there.

“But...” she said shaking her head in confusion. This hadn’t been the arm that had caught on the faucet. As she bent her head to study it, a strange nervous knot growing in her stomach, Laura watched with growing horror as the skin closed up and smoothed out right before her eyes. Despite the warm water, her body chilled. She turned off both faucets and rushed out of the shower. She grabbed her pink towel and purposely wiped water from her face and eyes.

“What the fuck?” she murmured softly looking down at her smooth wrists. She swallowed down the nervous lump that had now risen into her throat. With a uneasy shiver, Laura sat on the edge of the tub and rubbed her eyes again fiercely. Stress. That was all.

Laura knew her friend wasn’t due to pull into the bus station for another hour but after a sleepless night she had finally kicked off the covers, pulled on her clothes and got in her car. She was anxious to get rid of the tension that had buzzed through her all night since the episode in the shower and hoped getting out of the house would help.

Walking through the terminal, Laura was on her way to check if there were any changes or delays to the bus her friend would be on. Her stomach, however, wanted
first priority. Over the rushing arrivals and departures she spotted a Second Cup and her stomach grumbled smugly.

“Tell me that’s not your breakfast,” a soft voice asked behind her a half hour later. Laura jumped, startled and her green eyes widened as they met Emily‘s. Laura let out a squeal loud enough to make dolphins start waving picket signs and leapt out of her chair throwing her arms around her friend.

“Oh, you’re early! I missed you and for the record, no, this isn’t breakfast.”

“I’m gonna get me a Chiller too.” Emily said studying the long list high over the counter.

“Get it to go. We’ll eat back at the house.”

“Are you cooking?” Emily asked grimacing.

Laura narrowed her eyes and pushed Emily towards the counter.“Go get your Chiller.”

Pulling her jeep out of the parking lot, Laura listened as Emily told her about the latest string of recurring dreams that had been plaguing her. Her friend looked tired. Laura guessed Emily hadn’t slept at all on the bus. She didn’t object when Laura suggested she take a nap when they got to Laura’s house.

“Without fail. Three nights in a row.” Emily concluded

“That’s new isn’t it?” Laura asked. “Having them in a row like that?”

“Yeah.” She nodded. Laura heard the underlying tension in her friend’s voice but didn’t comment. Emily would tell her if something was bothering her in her own time.

“Maybe it’s because you were coming to see me. I know! I bet I’m your mystery lover.” Laura joked.

“That’s right, Ellen. My subconscious is telling me I’ve got the hots for you.” Emily shook her head laughing.

“What I’m not your type?” Laura asked, feigning insult.

“Sorry I’m not into green eyed midgets, nothing personal, baby.” Emily said with a smile.

Laura turned into the driveway of the house she shared with 4 other dancers from her school. None of whom were home.

“Odd how that always happens when it’s my turn to cook.” Laura said leading Emily into the kitchen.

“Baffling.” Emily agreed grinning being well acquainted with her friend’s mediocre culinary expertise.

After a well needed three hours of sleep for Emily and a small lunch, Laura showed off a fascinating oddity she had recently picked up at the local thrift shop. A Ouija Board. Elements of the occult had always fascinated them both although
Laura knew Emily felt guilty about it, being the more devoutly Catholic of the two. Laura had no such compunction. She firmly believed that if they information was there, why not? Just because the bible forbade it didn’t mean God did.

Laura didn’t believe that there was much literal truth in the bible. If there was some supernatural evil force people wanted to imagine with tails and a pitch fork than what better way to refuse his temptations then to recognize his methods? Better the devil you know.

With both pairs of hands on the Ouija board’s pointer they sat in anticipation for the spade shaped block of dark wood to begin moving. Laura spoke first, asking for a good spirit to join them. Within seconds the pointer slowly shifted beneath their fingers and Emily‘s head snapped up.

“Are you a good spirit?” Laura asked noticing her voice had cracked an octave higher. It slid to ’yes’ Laura and Emily locked eyes. Laura motioned with her hand for Emily to ask something but Emily shrugged sharply.

“Do you have anything to say to us?” Laura finally asked. The pointer slid quickly across the board and Laura jotted down the letters with her free hand.

“Are you okay now, Emily?” the letters spelled.

Emily’s eyes rose to Laura, blankly. “Me? I’m fine. Why?” Emily asked, licking her lips

“Sad.” It replied

“No. I’m fine.” Emily insisted.

“Did you crash today?” Laura asked Emily, It was the term she used for her friend’s little crying fits and panic attacks. The pointer shifted beneath them again and slid towards certain letters.

“On the bus.”

“Oh!” Emily exclaimed paling. “On the way here I just wanted to burst out crying so badly. I have no idea why.” Emily admitted, now visibly shaking.

“You know you never need a reason.” Laura reminded her.

“That’s right. I have no need of a reason to cry my eyes out. I’m just bonkers.” Emily shot back shaking her head,

“You’re not crazy. You’re stressed.” Laura reminded her.

“Really?” Emily asked raising an eyebrow. “Laura, you’re one of the most stressed people I know. I don’t see you constantly bawling for no reason.”

“I deal with it differently. I use my sarcastic wit,” she reminded Emily with a smile, pleased when she was rewarded back with Emily trying to bite back an answering smile.

The pointer shifted around slowly and spelled out.

“Don’t be afraid.”

“Okay that’s not the best thing to say right now. ”Laura insisted with a shudder.

“If you’re going to do something, please don’t.” Emily pleaded.

“No” it assured them. ”When he asks, don’t be afraid.”

“When who asks what?” Laura asked, lost. Then her eyes glittered mischievously ”I know! The Keebler Elf is going to propose!” she cracked. Emily swatted her arm.

“He’s not the one.” the spirit spelled out.

“Em, you holding out on me?” Laura asked pretending to be insulted.

“He’s obviously joking around.” Emily assured her.

“Not propose.” it spelled.

Laura smiled at Emily’s exhale of relief.

It abruptly shot down to ‘Goodbye.’

“Oh great. Leave us with more questions than you answer. Nice.” Laura sighed shaking her head.

“Wanna try again?” Emily asked even as a yawn burst past her mouth.

“Nah. My back is killing me and I’m tired.”

As Emily folded up the board, Laura reached into her dresser to pull out her pajamas.

“Do me a favor, Em.”

“What?” Emily asked turning off the light so only the glare of the TV illuminated the
room.

“Don’t have one of your ‘dreams’ in my bed.” Laura cracked fully prepared for the pillow Emily shot at her head.


A pained whimper stirred Laura from her sleep. Opening her eyes, she took one look at Emily’s face and her eyes darkened with concern.

“You okay?”
Emily shook her head, her eyes filling with tears.

“What is it?” Laura asked her although she already had a pretty good idea. Emily tried to take a deep breath.

“I’m scared.”

“Come here.” Laura said bringing Emily into her arms.

Emily tried to stop them but the sobs wrenched themselves from her body.

”Shhh” Laura whispered soothingly.

The first time this happened Laura had been at an utter loss as to what to do. Over the years she’d come to learn that Emily just needed to feel safe while she rode the attack out.

“I’m okay now.” Emily whispered 10 minutes later.

“You sure?” Laura asked hesitantly.

“Yeah, thanks.” Emily assured her, wiping her cheeks.

“Try to sleep.” Laura said, knowing it would be easy for Emily now since the attacks always wore her out.


© Copyright 2006 nancy777ca (UN: nancy777ca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
nancy777ca has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450554-Chapter-Two