*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450557-Chapter-Three
Rated: 18+ · Book · Drama · #1148674
A supernatural religious novel that explores the third secret of Fatima
#450557 added August 25, 2006 at 12:25pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Three
Brian-2001

This is so wrong, Brian thinks pushing his fourth cigarette butt into the ashtray with enough force to scatter a good helping of ashes on the pale blue carpet.

As if they haven’t demanded enough. Now they want a detailed account of the worst two weeks of Brian’s life.

A musical ping! ping! distracts his focus from the blank sheet of paper on his lap. His daughter sits on the white and blue bed spread behind him, banging happily on the rainbow xylophone her mother bought her that morning.

“Da! Da! Da!” she sings, smiling at Brian when he turns his head. He smiles back and he can almost see a good reason for going through the horrific memories in his mind one last time. For her.

Can writing all this down possibly help his little girl someday? Brian doesn’t know. Maybe that can be his reason. Regardless of why they want the account, if it can help his little girl in the future in some way then that makes this torment necessary.

He isn’t stupid enough to think what they had done makes this beautiful child somehow safe from the evil they had fought. If anything it makes her more of a target. Brian closes his eyes and curses God with the same breath that he begs for his protection. It isn’t the first time he‘s done so. It sure as hell won’t be the last.

They had fought so that they could live in the world they had come from, so they could return to it whole and safe. To ensure that future generations live free from the evil that had threatened to rule over them all. Will it ever really be over? Will the world find itself faced with the same threat a thousand years from now? Or sooner?

Brian rests his chin on his forearm and stares into the giggling, smiling face of his future. She pushes the musical instrument aside and lies on her stomach, mimicking her father’s position so that they are practically nose to nose.

Will she ever have need of this account?

Brian’s hands cramp with nervous tension as he gives into the urge for another cigarette.

The four of them hadn’t had anybody but Father Michael to help them and even
that poor priest had been in the dark about most of what would be required of them. He had guided them on nothing but theory, speculation and faith. Now Brian has a chance to impart their knowledge on the future, earned from experience. If this happens again, isn’t it his duty to tell them his story? Their story.

“Da! Di! Da! Di!” his little girl sings tapping him on the head with the stick.

“Okay baby. You made your point.” Brian reaches up to run his fingers through her soft, blonde curls, then once again, picks up his pen.



Chapter Three-1999

Brian Littleton smiled down at the file in front of him. He loved embezzlement cases. They were always the easiest to prove. Damn morons always left a paper trail. When would they learn? His secretary’s voice startled him from his thoughts.

“Mr Littleton, Leslie is here to see you.” Brian’s smile grew wider. “Send her in.” he replied, releasing the intercom button.

The first things he saw were her shapely legs and his body tightened pleasantly below his waist.

“Hey, baby” he said, his eyes traveling higher to her firm shapely breasts and finally her gorgeous face. She leaned over his desk and planted a promising kiss on his mouth. Her blonde hair tickled his cheeks as it fell unbound, forward against his face. “You ready to go?” she asked eyeing the spread of papers on his desk.

“Not quite. I just got this new case. One of Tildon Corporation’s head marketers has been dipping into the honey pot. I wanted to get a few phone calls in before I close up for the day.”

Leslie’s smile disappeared. She sighed, not bothering to hide her irritation. “Yeah. I gotcha. Late dinner again. Should I even bother waiting?”

Brian winced. She was right to be upset but hell, this case could earn him over
six figures when he settled it. They could finally
buy that house they wanted and get married.

“It won’t take long, baby. I promise.” He made a crossing motion over his heart,
his blue eyes pleading with what he hoped was enough boyish charm to sway her. “This could be a big one.”

“Yeah, yeah. Fine. I’ll go down and shop around for an hour then we’re leaving, you got that?”

“Great, baby. Here, take my credit card, buy whatever you want.” Brian dug into his wallet and pulled it out and handed it to her.

“Damn straight.” Leslie said smiling as she took it.

He really should spend more time with her, Brian thought to himself as he watched her walk out, heels clicking on the polished maple wood floor.
He was lucky she was as understanding as she was. A lot of women wouldn’t be. Still, Leslie knew he was doing it for them and for their future. It would all be worth it in the end, he had promised her.

He could see it in his minds eye. Beautiful house, parties every weekend, maybe a kid or two. Enough financial freedom to take only the cases he wanted. Not like before when he put up with some turkeys just to make end meet.

Maybe it was easier on the defense side? Brian asked himself, then shuddered. No, been there, done that. Never do it again. He had become harder because of it. Idealistic young lawyer learns the hard way that good doesn’t always win. It’s a lesson he’d never forget.

Brian sighed with relief and pulled away from his desk. Leaning back in his black leather chair and crossing his arms behind his head Brian thanked whatever deity was up there for pulling him away from that pain.

Still he can’t help cringe a little whenever he sees a roman collar. I guess you never really forget, Brian thought to himself with a shiver.

Brian was about to hang up on his last call of the day when he saw another line flashing for his attention. He could hear Leslie outside, chatting with his secretary. Better make it quick. He pressed the button.

“Littleton.” He announced absently reaching around his chair in his jacket pocket for a cigarette he kept forgetting weren’t there anymore since Leslie insisted he quit last month.

“Whatever you’re working on, chuck it,” a familiar male voice urged.

“Avery? I got me one of Tildon’s guys in my sights. Case should be closed up all nice and tight this time next week”

“This is bigger, Brian. This is fucking huge.” Mike Avery insisted

“What? The Pope’s in Heidi Fleiss’s book?” Brian joked.

“Senator Cooper is using his campaign funds to pay off the mob so they’ll guarantee him votes to lock in the next term.” Mike announced.

“Come again?” Brian asked straightening up in his chair.

“I’m telling ya. He’s greasing the boy’s from Sicily so he can beat McGintely”

“Where’d ya hear this?” Brian asked eagerly as he popped a stick of Dentyne into his mouth.

“Boss brought me in on the case this morning. Can‘t do it so I suggested you.” Mike reminded him.

“You serious? This sounds huge, man. You don‘t want your pretty face on the
front page of every newspaper from here to Borneo?“ Brian asked with a smile.

“After the Davenport case, I’m wiped. Need to take some time off with the missus, ya know? You nail Cooper, and I guarantee you the front page for the next month at least. You‘re prettier than me, anyway.” Mike joked.

Leslie knocked lightly and walked into Brian’s office with an expectant smile, which faltered slightly when he held up a finger.

“He’s got a kid. About twenty years old. Knows the whole fucking story. Walked in on one of Giancana’s boys waving a gun at daddy after Cooper Senior decided he didn’t want to pay up.”

“Mike, you’re shitting me right?” Brian asked his hand clenching around the receiver.

Leslie sat down across from him and watched as Brian practically bounced in his chair.

“Have I ever bullshitted you?” Mike asked.

“Jesus. The mob.” Brian smiled at Leslie. “Baby, what do you think of a trip to Bermuda this summer?”

“Are you going to be there?” Leslie asked pointedly.

Brian blew her a kiss. Turning his attention back to the phone and asked, ”Will the kid talk?”

“Well, the two of them ain’t exactly a Norman Rockwell painting if ya get my meaning.”

“Yeah well, who is these days?” Brian said. “Will the kid rat out his dad?”

“Don’t doubt it.”

“Alrighty then. What’s Junior’s number?” He leaned across his desk for his post it notes and clicked his pen.

“It might be kinda of hard getting to him.” Mike warned.

“Why?”

“You gotta go through Henry Dawson first.”

“Who’s that?”

“Executive Director of Covenant Rehab Clinic.”

“Oh you’re fucking kidding me.” Brian asked with a groan as he dropped the pen back on his desk.

“I wish I was, man. Daddy’s pride and joy’s a junkie. Which, if ya ask me, with a dad like James Cooper I’d be sticking my own eyeballs with heroin. “ Mike added. “Once the kid learned what daddy was up to, the guy shipped his kid off to rehab. Some place outside of Orlando.”

“Tell me we got more than the junkie’s word to go on.” Brian pleaded.

“Well, no. You can go after Giancana’s boys but I don’t think you wanna go that route.”

“Ask me after I’ve talked to the junkie.” Brian said cringing.

On the way to dinner at Dante’s Restaurant, Leslie was silent. Brian watched as she stared out the window, knowing she wasn‘t really watching the scenery go by.

“I didn’t take that long did I?” Brian asked uncomfortably.

“Hmm?” she asked absently stroking her chin with her thumb as she continued to stare out the car window.

“Les.” Brian placed a hand on her slim arm stroking the simple gold bangle around her wrist. “Look at me.” she turned and forced a smile. ”You mad at me or something?”

Leslie sighed and gave him a weak smile “No baby. I’m not mad. Just thinking.” She leaned closer and pressed her lips to his cheek. Amused, she rubbed at the wine colored lipstick she had marked him with.

“About what?”

“The case you were talking about on the phone. Sounds like it’s gonna be a biggie.”

Brian grimaced at the sadness in her voice.

“Yeah, it’s gonna mean a shit load of money for us, Les.” Brian said hoping to head her off before she became upset.

“You’ll be tied up for a while. We’re doing good Brian, better than good. We don’t need a shit load of money. I miss having you all to myself for a while. Why don’t you give the case to one of the other guys at the firm?”

“Leslie, I want this case. It’s not just about the money. I can nail this guy, better than any of the other guys. I know it. I miss being with you too baby. Trust me. Sometimes I just want to curl up in bed with you and tell the world to go fuck itself.”

“Wanna know what I miss the most?” Leslie asked with a wistful smile.

“I can guess.” he asked with a wink.

“Besides that.” Leslie insisted with a soft laugh. “Sunday afternoons. Just getting in the car and driving. To absolutely nowhere, pulling over whenever we got the urge to make love. Not getting back till hours after midnight.”

“We’ll have days like that again. I promise.” Brian said smiling at the memories her words had brought back to him.

“I’d like a date and a time please.” Leslie said playfully crossing her arms over her chest. Brian stroked her cheek with his free hand.

“Ah baby. I know how hard this is on you. I love you for not bailing on me when I deserve it.”

“You’re a workaholic Brian, but you still deserve me.” Leslie leaned her head on his shoulder.

He kissed the top of her head and then made an impulsive turn down a small side street. When he was sure they were reasonably away from prying eyes he shut off the engine and smiled at the woman he loved.

“Why did you stop?” Leslie asked looking outside into the utter darkness. The only small bit of light came from a streetlight a few feet away.

“Something more important came up.” He pulled her close to him and closed his mouth over hers, capturing her gasp of surprise. His hand traveled beneath her skirt.

“Brian....” Leslie sighed as he stroked her through her panties. “What if…God…”she moaned slipping her hands beneath his shirt to stroke his chest. “Someone might....see...” she cautioned, nibbling on his neck when he slipped his
fingers past her panties to stroke her wet heat.

“Don’t worry about that. Just enjoy.” Brian insisted helping her hike up her skirt and pull down her satin peach thong.

She barely had time to settle back in her seat when his mouth was between her thighs.

Leslie threw her head back and arched her hips against his mouth.

It had been too long, Brian knew. Too long since they had just taken each other. Sex had become something else to fit into his schedule. As much as Brian loved making love with her, he was always watching the clock. If they took too long at night, he’d be too tired in the morning. If they made love in the morning it was mostly a rushed fumbling to get rid of the pent up energy and he was off with a kiss and promise to make it up to her when he got home. He had missed this abandon so very badly.

“Oh God.” she sighed hoarsely when he felt her shake with her orgasm.

“You’re welcome.” Brian smiled, grabbing a tissue.

“Thank you. I love you.” she shifted in her seat and kissed him. Her hands moved to his waist and she undid the top button of his pants.

“We’re gonna be late for dinner, ya know?” Brian warned with a laugh.

“Fuck dinner.” Leslie pulled his zipper down and lowered her head.


© Copyright 2006 nancy777ca (UN: nancy777ca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
nancy777ca has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450557-Chapter-Three