*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467179-Chapter-2---Trouble-in-Westport
by Runei
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1174370
My fantasy novel set in a roman/medieval land (with magic though very hidden and mystical)
#467179 added November 14, 2006 at 6:33pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2 - Trouble in Westport
Map (Chapter 2): http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/310/14/MapChapter21162926089.jpg
Imperial soldier: http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/310/13/Imperialsoldier1162925963.jpg
Civil uniform: http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/310/14/Civilianuniform1162926019.jpg
Kiero: http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/310/12/Kiero1162920894.jpg

Chapter 2 - Trouble in Westport

Version 0.5 - 7th November 2006

The city of Westport was the western-most bastion of civilization in the Mandorian Empire. A great city housing some one-hundred thousand people and with over-seas trade south down the shore and west to the island kingdom of Daria. Land trade was also very popular, and all this had made Westport one of the most powerful cities in the Mandorian Empire. North of the city was the great castle of Stout Rock. It was here the Seven Princes met and held council when it was needed. The castle belonged to Prince Eigar, who was the eldest of the seven High-Lords. Even though the said they had equal power, everyone knew that Eigar was the most dominant of the seven. His principality was also one of the richest because of the rich soil, and he was not at all a poor merchant. His treasury was said to equal the Emperor's - a rumor likely to be true.
Throughout the principality several forts were scattered, housing the two-thousand soldiers that Eigar had in his command. It was these forts that had been the source of trouble in the last few months. The seven principalities had a garrison of fourteen-thousand soldiers that were directly under the command of the princes. Next to this the much smaller garrison of four thousand imperial troops looked like a dwarf. Orders from the Imperial city demanded that the Imperial troops somehow gained the upper hand. As it looked now, they were loosing a battle of authority and it could likely lead to loss of income and, in the worst thinkable situation, a war.
In Westport the imperial troops had their headquarters. There were two hundred Imperial troops in the city, as well as seven Legates. This week the seven princes were having a council at Stout Rock, and the imperial Legates had gathered and tried to figure out how to stay in control. The imperial garrison in the city was a big stone building with sleeping quarters, an assembly hall, and a private study for the Legion Commander. The room was very simple with only a chair and a stable and behind this a small shelf with a few books. No paintings, banners or carpets to look at.
Commander Lon was a strong heavy man with a harsh look to his face constantly. The letter before him had been read and re-read several times now. Something told him he had to report to the General currently en route to Northwall to see to the troops there.

The hour grows nearer. The darkness swirls toward the light and blots out the sun! The Empire is no more in these lands! If you know what is good for you and your troops then leave. Soon you will fall to the might of the Seven Princes! You cannot defeat that which has the right to win! You cannot cage that which has the right to be free!

It was more than just an itch, really. This was a catastrophe. If it were empty threats he had nothing to fear, but he had never received such a letter before, and he had spent almost eight years in the principalities. Lon leaned back and looked at the three men on the other side of the table. Kiero, one of the Banner-leaders, was a good friend and one of the best tacticians, even though he was not even a lord. The other two were two soldiers from the same tent group.
         "Where was this given to you again?" Lon glanced at the letter again.
         "We were making a routine visit to the jailhouse, when a man walked up and gave us this and said that it was important that it reached you quickly. Then he left. We suspected it was one of our informers, but it seems he had other intentions..." Kiero was a handsome man with a devilish smile on his face almost constantly. Lon knew he took life easy and enjoyed it to the fullest, but he had also seen him completely serious. A true soldier, that man was.
         "Other intentions indeed, Kiero... I fear this letter is true. But we must be sure before we can set anything in motion. You can remember him on sight?" The three soldiers looked at each other.
         "I guess we can. He did not try to hide himself..." Kiero's voice was calm and considering. If he had been a lord he would have made a fine captain or maybe even a commander - possible a general if he had been born into one of the greater houses. But fate had it that he was just an ordinary man, who had volunteered for Imperial service. He was from Duman Fork, but had found the life of a soldier more exciting than the life of a peasant or city-dweller.
         "Here's what we'll do then. I want you to go back to the place you received the letter and look around. Take at least 10 soldiers and spread out in three groups. - One with each of you leading. Try to look casual. Don't wear your armor; use the more civil uniform we have. It will give you both authority, and privacy. In the meantime I will send some people to check on the meeting at the castle. I'll try to see what the Legates can do. If you're not successful, come back here when the sun goes down. I have another assignment then." Lon rose and saluted the three by placing his palm on his left chest and clenched his fist. They imitated the gesture and made a quick bow before leaving with the silent: "At your command." As the door closed behind them Lon stood a moment and wondered how he could evacuate the soldiers, if the letter turned out to have some truth in it.
He had always expected that the princes would try to get the Empire out of the principalities, but not like this. If they decided to use force, they would start a war. He had too much trouble already, arguing with the leaders of the princes' armies. The situation began to look grim...

***

Kiero left the study of the commander and went to the assembly hall. During the day the tables were removed, and the large room served as a training hall. Several soldiers that were not on duty in the city were either training or just talking.
         "FIRST TENT REPORT!" he barked the order loudly and all activity stopped, while the ten soldiers from the first tent group lined up in front of him.
         "Banner-leader," they said quietly and looked expectantly at him.
         "We have an assignment. There's a man in the city that we would like to talk with. Unfortunately we do not know his name, or what part of the city he lives in. What we do know is how he looks and when we last saw him. We will split in three groups and Superior Hugan and Superior Briar will lead two of them, while I'll take the third. They will give you a short description of the man, and then we will head out. We will wear our civilian uniforms, and bring only knives. Move!" The moved quickly and left for their rooms without hesitation. Kiero turned to look at the two superiors. A superior was the man responsible for a tent group that consisted of ten men. When camping, ten soldiers shared a tent. There were only room for eight soldiers in a tent, but there had to be two from each tent ready for guard duty at all times. Ten groups formed a banner and Kiero was the Banner-leader and had to make sure that a hundred soldiers were stayed together during a battle. Eight banners made a company, which was led by a Captain, and five companies made a Legion. The Legion had a Commander and a General to lead. The Commander was the officer always present, while the general were one appointed by the Emperor himself, to oversee the army. During battle the Commander had most of the control, while the general stayed back, but during peace time the General assumed the highest command.
The soldiers returned in their civilian uniform - a dark pair of pants and a dark red shirt with a dark coat over. A knife was tucked in their belt, and on the breast the sign of the Empire, a red triangle, identified them as Imperial soldiers. Kiero quickly divided them into three groups and they left. The walked through the streets toward the part of the city called High-Quarter. It was one of the finer places in the city with lots of activity, but no beggars and not many cutthroats. The militia was run by the Princes themselves, and here and there a group of maybe five patrolled the streets wearing full armor and short spears. Normally this part of the city was the most secure and the part with less criminality and that was thanks to the prince's soldiers.
The three groups spread out and took different paths through the area; keeping an eye out for the man they had been given a description of on the way here. Kiero and his three men walked in a group and tried to blend in. Some people glanced at them more than once, because of their similarity no doubt, and noted the insignia on their chest. The triangle was well known in the city, but not well-liked. Most of the people in Westport were not big supporters of the Empire and the Emperor, and it would not be first time a group of Imperial soldiers would have been assaulted, if it happened now. Kiero eyed the crowds with searching eyes, but he tried to appear casual, so no one would suspect. Best be careful, he thought.
For a good half hour they scouted the streets in search of the man with no success at all. It was not like the chances were great, but it was all they could do right now. They turned down a small street with less people and studied the faces of those they saw. Kiero was so concentrated in his job, that he almost didn't notice the man quickly dodging into a house. Had it been him? He made a gesture to his soldiers and they followed him to the other side of the street. The house was made of wood like most of the buildings in this area and had three stories. A quick glance through the open door set his mind straight. It was the man. He nodded to his men and walked through the door. The man was not alone. A second person was standing there too - front toward Kiero as he entered. The gasp made the first man turn his head where he saw Kiero and the three soldiers enter the building in a quick pace. He tried to run, but Kiero was fastest, and grabbed the man's arm. The man turned and tried took a swing at Kiero with his fist. Kiero was quick and held up his arm as the strike came. The pain was obvious in the man's face, and without delay, Kiero moved into him and grabbed his coat with both hands. He planted his right foot and leg through the man's two feet, and threw him to the ground. The second man was on flight up the stairs, but two of Kiero's men darted after him.
         "Hold him!" The fallen man was maybe too frightened to move because he didn't fight. The soldier who had remained took control of the man, and Kiero turned to follow the second man together with the two others. A scream made him look up, and he saw the man in front tumble backwards down the stairs. He clutched his shoulder in pain and Kiero could see the fleeing man with a knife at the top of the staircase. The remaining soldier had already drawn his knife and stood still, watching the man.
         "Put down the knife!" Kiero yelled and drew his own. It didn't seem the man had any intention of following the order. Instead he fled further up the stairs onto the third floor. Kiero and the soldier were after him in a second and as they reached the top floor, they saw the man at a window in the far end the large room they had entered. It seemed the top floor was one, big storage, though right now it was almost empty. Kiero and the soldier walked slowly toward the ma, who had turned around and watched his two pursuers.
         "DIE!" With a sudden burst the man ran toward Kiero. The soldier didn't manage to react fast enough, and was sliced across the arm as the man passed him and ran toward Kiero. The knife flashed before Kiero with deadly speed. Knife fighting was not his speciality and he hated it. Fortunately he didn't have to do much. The soldier had made his way to the man's back, and put his arm around the man's neck, and thrust the knife into his throat. The man dropped the knife and fell to his knees clutching his bleeding throat. After a few moments of death-struggle the man was still.
         "Good job," Kiero said and nodded to his rescuer. The other regarded him with a cold stare and turned to the stairs. Kiero bent down and looked at the dead man. He had nothing unusual about him. Hopefully the living specimen of these people downstairs could provide some answers.
Downstairs he found the man they had searched for gagged and bound with his hands behind him.
         "Seems we were lucky after all..." Kiero said and went to the soldier who had been stuck in the shoulder. He was up again and held a piece of cloth to the wound.
         "I'm okay sir," he said. Kiero nodded and motioned for them to follow him. It was time to return to the headquarters and see what information could be gained from this man.

***

Lon looked at the Legate once more and wondered. Who could have done this? Muyar was one of the older Legates, and Lon suspected him to be as high as of the third order. When he had sent for the seven Legates, one of the messengers had returned hastily and reported that someone had murdered Legate Muyar. He had been bound and gagged and then someone had cut his throat.
         "I begin to fear that we will soon be forced out of this city..." Lon said and looked at the other Legates in the room. They all wore a mask of calm and seemed unaffected by their dead friend.
         "You must get information to the general. He will know what to do. We will go to the castle and inform the princes of this. They must not be led to believe that they have gained authority. We will remain the strongest." Lon nodded thoughtfully. It was almost too dangerous to go to the castle now. If one of the princes had ordered the murder of Muyar, who had been the leader of the seven, it could lead to more blood. But these Legates knew what to do. Their training must have given them some ideas of how to keep the situation under control. At least they could try and delay any plans the princes might have, so that Lon had time to prepare to leave.
         "I will send a messenger immediately. Do what you can with the princes, but be careful. I think this has become a very dangerous city for Legates, no matter your training." The Legates nodded.
         "Indeed, Commander Lon. We will be careful." Not stupid it seemed. Brave...
         "Remove the body," Lon said before turning around and leaving the room. Outside he was met by Kiero and some of the soldiers he had taken to search the High-Quarter. It seemed they had been successful.
         "We found him Commander," Kiero said and saluted. Lon answered the gesture and looked at the man they had brought in. A smile split his face. He knew the chap infront of him.
         "I told you last time I saw you, Reedan, that if I ever saw you again it would not be pleasurable for you. It seems I was right." The man went pale and stumbled over his own feet, as he was pushed toward Lon.
         "Shall we begin to interrogate him?" Kiero asked. Lon studied Reedan. The man had mocked Lon openly on the street after a discussion they had had over how much authority the Imperial soldiers had in the city. He was a high-standing member of the city-council. It seemed the troubles had come from higher authority. This situation was turning very grim...

Next part will be: Chapter 3 - Arrivals
© Copyright 2006 Runei (UN: runei at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Runei has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467179-Chapter-2---Trouble-in-Westport