*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523628-A-Beautiful-Monsoon-Morning
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#523628 added July 25, 2007 at 9:48am
Restrictions: None
A Beautiful Monsoon Morning
13 Kalimat 164 B.E. - Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 6:42:26 AM PDT

It’s a beautiful monsoon morning,
the blacktop glistens from a predawn shower,
the scent of fresh air and the feel of moisture
invigorate both the mind and the soul.


It’s a beautiful monsoon morning in Las Vegas. I looked out my living room window this morning and saw a street glistening from last night’s rain. The clouds covering the sky from mountain range to mountain range, move slowly across the firmament. We might have a peek at blue sky today, or we might not. I didn’t listen to the weather this morning and I haven’t checked my e-mail yet so I’m not sure what today’s forecast says.

This is Wednesday, trash pickup in my neighborhood. I’m going to put the one full trash can I have in the garage. Last Saturday was recyclable day, so the most I took out that day was the bens containing plastic bottles and tin cans. If I put one trashcan out today, then this coming Saturday I’ll put two or three out. I have other things in the garage and house that needs throwing away and I need to sweep the driveway because the stone pine have shed, but it’s such a beautiful day that I’m not sure I want to sweep the driveway.

On this beautiful monsoon morning I just took the trashcan out to the curb, it’s 6:10:20 AM here in Las Vegas. The cans have to be out by 7:00 AM, not that the trucks are here right at 7:00 AM sometimes it takes them all day to do the pickup and sometimes they get it done before 7:30 AM. While I was in the garage, I looked in two of the other three aluminum trashcans. Two are full of trash, but the stuff isn’t in garbage bags so I can’t take them out until I dump them in a plastic bag. With the rain and the wind the way it is right now, it’s not wise to put stuff out to the curb without putting it in trash bags; otherwise it blows all over the street.

On this beautiful monsoon morning, the sky is becoming a patchwork quilt of blue and white. The clouds aren’t going to go away today, they will just move slowly across the sky. It’ll probably be cooler today, but the humidity is up. However, if it does stay cooler I may go out and sweep the driveway off. I have the trash bags to put the stuff in, so I don’t have to put it in a can without putting it into bags.

On this beautiful monsoon morning,
the firmament is a patchwork quilt of white clouds and blue sky,
my heart leaps as I inhale the scent of morning
whispering a prayer of thanks for the rain.


It’s been a long time since we had this much rain, for the past few years the monsoon season was just another hot and dry summer. This rain won’t take us out of our drought, but it will help. I think our biggest problem is global warming, I know everyone across the planet blames all the weird weather of global warming. However, in the case of our drought it may be to blame. The problem here is not so much no rain in the monsoon season and the depth of the winter snow pack. When the snow pack in the mountains melts in spring, it puts water into Lake Mead. The past few years the snow pack hasn’t been deep and hasn’t put a lot of water into Lake Mead.

© Copyright 2007 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523628-A-Beautiful-Monsoon-Morning