*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/538580-The-first-capter-Crushed-By-Tragedy
by twin1
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1325520
It's a magical story full of adventure friendship love and new worlds.
#538580 added October 30, 2007 at 10:53pm
Restrictions: None
The first capter: Crushed By Tragedy
         Maids woke Gabby to the new day as they pulled back the heavy drapes, letting in the morning.  Alea’s bed was empty, no surprise there. Alea was always up first and especially this morning. She was most likely perched atop a cask along the wharf watching as the ship was loaded, anticipating the voyage to Dumond.

         Alea loved the ocean and ships. Gabby wouldn’t be shocked if her sister took up the life of a seaman. Maybe some day she would captain “The Elizabeth” the graceful ship that bore their mother’s name. Thinking of the ship made Gabby think of their mother, taken by death, twenty long months past.


          Gabby pulled on a short travel tunic, stuffed sweet bread and figs in her bag and hopped on the seat of the next wagon to leave the compound. The driver pulled at his forehead, acknowledging her there, at the same time he smiled and grinned, Alea and Gabby were frequent riders on their father’s wagons. As the docks came into view floating upon the shore like a ghost, was the Elizabeth.

         The big, elegant ship was made of strong oak.  Above the stern were perfectly carved windows, traced with medieval patterns of gold around them.  Three thin masts towered from the deck and old, white, wide sails were rolled up against them, ready to be let free.  On each mast, clinging to the tops, were what looked like birds' nests from below.

         What made the ship so dignified, however, was the ravishing carving on the bow.  The statue of a young mermaid looked out over the sea, with long, flowing hair and an enchanting face of pure beauty.  It was enchanting, just like true mermaids, who would seduce a sailor in with their overwhelming allurement and voice, and then lead the sailor to his death.

         Very shortly, everything was heaved upon the ship for the sixteen day journey.  The rolled up sails were let down, and the rest of the crew did their part in making the ship sail across the Ar'edon Sea.

         On the seventh day of the journey, when Gabby went down into the lower decks to her room, she was astonished to find a glorious gown laying across Alea's bed.  A jeweled box sat beside it that the gown must have been hidden in.  Alea danced in, lost in wonder, but was quickly awakened by Gabby's question.

         "Who's dress is this and where did it come from?" stuttered Gabby in a shout.

         "Oh, isn't it just beautiful!" Alea responded with excitement.  "Father unexpectedly bought it for me!  He says it's only for impressing the king of Dumond, but to me it's for making the prince, Garote, fall in love with me."  She paused and finished with a frown.  "I'm so scared.  What if he doesn't like me?  What if our fathers force us to marry?" 

         "Don't worry.  I'm sure he'll like you," replied Gabby sincerely.  "Why wouldn't he?  Besides, who wouldn't with that dress?"  She smiled and shouted, "Well?  Aren't you going to try it on?"

         “I need the help of the maids,” sobbed Alea.

         "No, you don't.  When are you going to learn to do things yourself?  Why can't I help you?  Isn't that what I'm here for?" joked Gabby.

         When Alea walked up to look at herself in the ancient, gold mirror, which took up all of one side of the room, they were both astonished at how dazzling she looked.  She looked so much more sophisticated.  She even looked like she could play the role of a great queen, one who ruled the whole world.

         The long gown was made of lavishing, gold silk, which fit tight and flowed to the floor.  The top of the dress had a v-line, traced with ruby-red gems, and the tops of the sleeves rested below her shoulders.  Around the waist was sewn a matching gold silk belt with silver archaic patterns and the same ruby-red gems. 

         Gabby noticed the necklace Alea was wearing.  "I see you're wearing the locket mom gave you," Gabby said, gesturing. 

         It matched the dress perfectly.  The locket was a golden hexagon of obsolete swirls; a fat misty gem glowed in the middle.  A shiny gold chain, hooked around Alea's neck, held the locket in place.  Alea gently opened the locket and out came a sweet mystical lullaby of music.  When the music ended, Alea closed the locket and silence filled the room.

         Gabby interrupted the sorrowful silence.  "Well, why don't you go show father the dress... on you?"

         Both girls raced to the upper deck, where a sweet breeze was blowing.  They found their father, who was being bothered with problems by the ship captain.  As they stood there, Gabby felt a light raindrop trickle down her face.

****


         Their father noticed Alea and his face filled with amazement.  He ran up and whispered in her ear with a grin, "You look beautiful."  The moment was interrupted by a crew member, telling of a bad storm coming close.

         They all looked up towards the sky to see that the ship was about to break into the midst of black clouds and darkness that poured out hard rain.  The ship started to rock violently, and Alea and Gabby were summoned to the lower decks.

         When Alea reached her room, she looked into the mirror for one last look at her finery.  She was heartbroken to find the necklace missing.  Without warning, Alea ran for the door and up to the top deck.  To her surprise, all was dark until bright sparks of lightning cracked through the fog and piercing rain.  Huge waves were rushing over the ship walls, covering the deck floor with salty water.

         Alea spotted the necklace up against one of the ship walls, glowing in all the haze.  As she ran to grab it, she slipped and fell hard to the deck.  Through all the noise, she faintly heard her father yell, "Hold on to something!  Quick!"

         A gigantic wave came over the side of the ship, sweeping her into the ocean.  Shocked, Alea tried to come up for air, but with every chance she had, another wave crashed over her head.  The dress slowly pulled her deeper and deeper.  Everything went black and Alea stopped struggling as her body went still.

         There, at the bottom of the ocean, gown sparkling in the dark, lay Alea in all her beauty.
© Copyright 2007 twin1 (UN: heathertwin1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
twin1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/538580-The-first-capter-Crushed-By-Tragedy