*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/572923
Rated: E · Book · Young Adult · #1320328
A chronicle of questions and thoughts from a college student.
#572923 added March 11, 2008 at 2:42am
Restrictions: None
Opinionated Politics
This entry is going to be a bit of venting, so excuse me if I seem a bit irritable.

With the presidential election coming up, I'm hearing more and more about people's political thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that. I like to hear people's thoughts on the major issues and why they vote the way they vote. If your opinion is different from mine, that's fine! We don't HAVE to agree. Everyone seems to think that when two people discuss politics, they both should leave with the same opinion, and that is just plain wrong.

I consider myself pretty liberal. I fall into that category on such views as the economy, abortion, health care, taxes, and a few other categories that don't seem to pop out at me. I agree with the convservative view when it comes to the death penalty and gun control (to an extent). We have so many people, that we don't need to keep the ones that are doing lots of harm to others. As far as gun control, let people have their guns within reason.

One of my roommates is a republican. When I ask her why she feels that way, it boils down to her dad being republican, so she's republican. If you ask her about key issues, she doesn't seem to know hardly anything about them. She doesn't even know the republican viewpoint on a lot of issues. Yet, she is going to vote for McCain this fall. Why? Because her dad is.
If you don't know anything about the issues, please take the time to educate yourself on them. It doesn't take that much time.

Another thing that really irks me is the single-issue voter. This is the person who votes Republican because they don't want the darned government taking all their guns. Or it could be the person who votes Democratic because they think women should have the right to choose to have an abortion or not. Well people, there is a lot more to running a country than just your one issue. What if Hitler was running and the platform he was running on was, "Free abortions for all and death to all the jews!" Well single-issue voter, way to elect a monster.
Of course that's an extreme example, but you get the point.
If there's a single issue that's more important than any other, it's the economy. If you want to single-issue vote, at the very least use that as your issue. Whether you believe in huge tax cuts or huge tax raises, the government exists more or less to provide us with a stable economy.

This entry was kind of rushed, and I feel like it's a little jumbled, but I just wanted to get that off my chest quick.

© Copyright 2008 Kimberlily (UN: kimberlily at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kimberlily has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/572923