*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/626397-Day-27-Place-yourself-in-the-shoes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#626397 added December 27, 2008 at 11:33pm
Restrictions: None
Day 27: Place yourself in the shoes
Place yourself in the shoes of someone who has a disability and write about something they THINK they cannot do but after trying and trying, they find they are able to.


I’m not going to write a story about someone else overcoming a disability. I’m going write about a personal experience. You see everyone has a disability of some type. Some individuals have physical disabilities, some have mental disabilities and for some the disabilities are the limitations a person places on his or herself. In addition, life, fate, or God, which ever you prefer has a way of pushing us to go beyond our disabilities.

My own problem is an extremely painful right knee. By extremely painful I mean that if I would more then one block the pain in my knee increases with each step. This doesn’t stop me from walking long distances when I have to. In the past, two or three month’s economic conditions and lack of a running car forced walk from ½ mile to two miles every day or every other day. Several time I had to walk from the grocery store to the bus stop and then either ½-mile or ¾ mile from the bus stops carrying bags of groceries.

There were times when I thought I wouldn’t make it home. Times I thought I might trip and fall on the way home. I knew that if I fell down there was now way I could get up by myself. However, I did make it home without tripping and falling. After I got home, my knee hurt so bad that I had problems getting out of a chair or into the bathtub. After soaking the knee in a hot bath for a while the pain usually subsided, it didn’t go away but it did subside.

The one thing I learned from all that walking was not to listen to my own negative self-talk. I had to focus on the next corner or the next fire hydrant not on how far I had to go. I couldn’t listen to the voice in my head that said I would fall or that I had to sit down to rest at the next corner.

Another thing this experience has taught me is that I can overcome my own disabilities whether they are self imposed or physical limitations.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1405205 by Not Available.


© Copyright 2008 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/626397-Day-27-Place-yourself-in-the-shoes