*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/668562-Raft
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1600765
My writings from the 15 for 15 contest.
#668562 added September 20, 2009 at 2:09pm
Restrictions: None
Raft
The treacherous rapids jerk the raft back and forth, as I grab the rope and brace myself, hoping I won’t find my butt tossed out like a ragdoll when we take the sharp turn up ahead. The heavy and unpredictable water scare the hell out of me, yet here I am, facing my biggest fear. The more experienced rafters scream with childish delight, laughing every few minutes, shouting to one another about what a ride she is today, which does nothing to calm my nerves or erratic heartbeat.

I swallow the terror, and a mouthful of icy water that shoots up blanketing me as we head towards the unmistakable jagged boulders in our path. Sputtering, desperate to rid my mouth of the foreign substance, all I can do is watch, the oar across my lap, useless. The sheer force of the pummeling water muffles the voices around me. The thunderous roar puts a death grip on my hammering heart and my eyes widen in terror before slamming shut. The bottom of my stomach drops, reminding me of the roller coaster rides I despise, which forces my lids to flutter open. I need to see what’s coming, to prepare myself for what could be.

Coming around the bend, I notice another set of rapid riders ahead, their shouts echoing now in my ears. I drag in a ragged breath in a desperate attempt to regain control. The cool air sends a shiver down my spine.

“One hell of a ride, baby,” shouts Samantha next to me, bright smile plastered on her face.

All I can do is stare at her in disbelief, thoughts of what a crazy broad she is filling my mind. She loops her arm around mine, pulling me closer. “This is better than sex,” Sam boldly whispers.

My jaw drops. Another avalanche of white water slams down on us, sending my mind spinning. Pure shock floods my senses, yet I am unable to determine if it’s the ride, or the woman beside me.


** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple Princess (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Princess has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/668562-Raft