*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/668754-Desert
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1600765
My writings from the 15 for 15 contest.
#668754 added September 21, 2009 at 9:04pm
Restrictions: None
Desert
Staring off into the distance, diamonds glitter across the vast land, suddenly turning to water before disappearing from sight. The desert is most deceiving, playing tricks on my mind, granting me what I wish for like a tease only to take it away. It’s hot, the sweltering heat making my lungs ache with each breath I take. Wrapped too tight, the turban squeezes my head so hard I can feel the constant pulse beside my right eye. I want more than anything to remove it, but the fireball in the sky will make this trek in the sand ten times worse. It is my shield, my protector, and I must embrace it.

The camel continues its slow walk, the pace irritating as my body jerks from side to side. The wool blanket between the beast and me does nothing to cushion my bottom, only makes me sweat, my pants soaked and sticking to me like a second skin. The canteen around my neck beckons me. What I wouldn’t give to dump it over my head and find temporary relief. Knowing that it wouldn’t last, I refrain and concentrate on what’s in front of me.

The sparkling jewels seem to float as if a boat on the sea and I smile. It is something I delight in, can see myself dancing upon and that takes away this journeys hardship. Diamonds are a girls' best friend, and today, millions surround me, just the way I like it.


** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple Princess (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Princess has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/668754-Desert