*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/669957-Wall
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #1600765
My writings from the 15 for 15 contest.
#669957 added September 30, 2009 at 10:41pm
Restrictions: None
Wall
Standing in this spot makes my stomach flip. One year had passed, yet it seems like yesterday that I had I to run from this place in fear of my life. Tear begin to cloud my vision as memories of bombs and F16s flood my mind. I drag in a breath, desperate to steady the rapid beat of my heart and calm my ragged nerves. The war is over, this is a time for peace, and I know I am here to face my fear, to close that chapter of my life and move forward.

I force myself to open my eyes again, to see what is standing before me. My bedroom window remains intact; a smile tugs at the corner of my mouth. It is a spot I spent many hours at looking out across the city. The crumbling structure makes me shiver, the sounds of bombs filter into my ears, distant, but enough to affect me. I swallow the growing lump in my throat and scream a verbal command for my feet to move forward. I need to see what is left.

As my feet comply, it hits me. Life remains in this place. Trees have new growth, leaves struggle to survive and win against all odds. My pace picks up as I reach the tree line. The sadness, the tears all seem to fade away. Excitement brings me to the brick wall, to a place of bittersweet memories.

“Mom?”

I turn to see my son, no longer a boy, but a young mad. I smile for him, let him know I am all right. And I am. I have seen hell, faced my biggest fears, and I am still standing, just the like the wall before me.

“What now?” he asks.

“We rebuild.”


** Image ID #1591886 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2009 Purple Princess (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Princess has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/669957-Wall