*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693165-Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1664080
The adventures of a young man on Coralla, a recently discovered planet in the Leo Galaxy.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#693165 added April 19, 2010 at 10:29pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
Daniel walked slowly down the street, almost drifting. It had to be a dream, because he was on his own, no guards nearby, something his father strictly forbid.


He was also standing in the middle of a Water Kingdom street.


The signs were everywhere, from the soggy coral pink stones that lined the cobbled street, to the filthy seaweed green and ocean blue that most of the buildings were painted with. A bad part of town, then. The streets were named after known sea life, both on and off planet: to his left lay Gut-fish Way, while Whale Street's sign hung just in front of him. He kept walking, searching for something, but not sure what.


He stopped in front of a seedy looking tavern called the Sea Cucumber. Now who, he wondered idly, would name anything after something so ridiculous?


He stayed there, just standing, wanting to go inside, but aware that his dreams didn't always allow that. He stared intently at the door, willing it to open, trying to control his dream's actions the way his father had taught him. "If you cannot control self-made illusions," his father had said, "then that is a reflection of how little self control you have in daily life."


And so he willed the door to open, until he started feeling very foolish. Just when he thought he should move on, his face burning bright red, the door did open.


And something very heavy was thrown into him, driving the breath from his chest.


"Serves ya right, kid!" the bartender yelled. "Standing in the middle o' the walkway like that, what's'a matter wi' you?"


Daniel struggled to lift the unconscious body, struggled to breath, struggled for everything. For a dream, this was really realistic...Why did this guy have to be so heavy...? And the salt water and filth on the street was now all over him, soaking his Air Worm silk pajamas.


He finally succeeded in shoving the man away, and then sat up, fighting to pull breath back into his body. The other man groaned, slowly pulling one arm underneath him, but dropping back down a moment later.


Daniel glanced around nervously. This was too strange for him. He'd had vivid dreams, sure--who hadn't?--but nothing this vivid.


People were streaming out of the tavern now, staring strangely at him. He felt momentarily sick; they must think he was insane, sitting there with a dazed look on his face. But they can't think I'm insane, he scolded himself. It's just a dream!


A dream he wanted to wake up from, he suddenly realized. It was too much!


He scrambled to his feet. If he could find his way to a more upscale neighborhood, maybe someone would recognize him, give him directions to get back to the inn he and his father were staying at. And they probably would! They wouldn't dare hurt him!


Daniel lifted his chin, Fire Kingdom pride etched onto his face. Hurting him meant sparking a war. He stalked down the street, remembering Andrew's tip on never getting lost: Head north, and you will always found the town square. 


© Copyright 2010 Eclipse (UN: eclipse1993 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eclipse has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693165-Chapter-1