*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698971-June-12Abby-Sunderland-16yo-Solo-Sailor-wc210
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#698971 added June 12, 2010 at 7:53am
Restrictions: None
June 12_Abby Sunderland, 16yo Solo Sailor wc210
Abby's older brother Zak circumnavigated the globe by sail when he was 17. I don't remember reading about that, so I don't know how much publicity or "fuss" that trip received. However, many are in an uproar about young Abby, who is only 16, and has been sailing the globe on her solo trip since Jan. 13.


Abby had mast damage this week and has been rescued now by not one, but three, other vessels. Seems the International Maritime Organization has regulations about disrupting commercial fishing venues for rescues (?) so at the moment it's still up in the air as to WHICH ship will move her to a port.


Does that mean she's returning to California? I don't know. I would tend to hope so, but then I don't fall into the category of those who are publicly stating that she should be allowed to sail the world by herself, a lone female at age 16, no problem.


The L.A. Times Blog shows multiple comments from readers who have varied opinions. Me? I'd be terrified if it was me, at my age; and for a lone girl, a minor? Weather! Piracy! Danger! Unbelievable-to me. Yes, her family are "born-again Christians," but does that exclude the use of common sense?






http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/abby-sunderlands-parents-defend-le...


http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fgw-abby-sunderland-20100613,0,...

© Copyright 2010 Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/698971-June-12Abby-Sunderland-16yo-Solo-Sailor-wc210